Page 1 of 124 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Now I'm getting serious....

Now I'm getting serious....

The Testa Rossa has been proceding a lot more slowly than I anticipated. But I finally broke down and rented a scissor lift to hang some chains from a roof perling some 18' in the air. Here's a few pics of my service manager on the lift drilling some holes in the perling. The idea was to bolt some 2" X 1/4" X 18" flatbars to the perling and then shackle 7' long 3/8" proof chain to the bars. Then I can hang comealongs at whatever height I need. There are three chains at predetermined locations so I can easily pull decks on 18's, Minx, and 22's.

Unfortunately I have to go to Cleveland for a national dealer meeting tomorrow and I won't be back till saturday evening. But I will post some pics on Sunday of the deck hanging in the air.

Attached Images Attached Images
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Cool

It is about time now tear that bugger apart, you have been dragging butt tooooo looong!

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

mrfixxall Guest

mrfiixx

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    The Testa Rossa has been proceding a lot more slowly than I anticipated. But I finally broke down and rented a scissor lift to hang some chains from a roof perling some 18' in the air. Here's a few pics of my service manager on the lift drilling some holes in the perling. The idea was to bolt some 2" X 1/4" X 18" flatbars to the perling and then shackle 7' long 3/8" proof chain to the bars. Then I can hang comealongs at whatever height I need. There are three chains at predetermined locations so I can easily pull decks on 18's, Minx, and 22's.
    Unfortunately I have to go to Cleveland for a national dealer meeting tomorrow and I won't be back till saturday evening. But I will post some pics on Sunday of the deck hanging in the air.

i built a jig and lifted mine from the ski locker,,its was a safer method and didnt want to put all the stress on the front or rear deck of the boat..try lifting the front of the deck and you will see what i mean..

George; Don't you just hate it when work interferes with boat time...Ed

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixxall View Post
    i built a jig and lifted mine from the ski locker,,its was a safer method and didnt want to put all the stress on the front or rear deck of the boat..try lifting the front of the deck and you will see what i mean..
    Actually, I'm doing something similar....through the fuel fill hole, I'll have an I-bolt through a 2 X 4 under the deck supporting it over about 4'. Then at the rear, there'll be two 2 X 6's running transversely just at the front of the engine compartment, under the deck, also with an I-bolt through them on the center line of the hull.
    The advantage for me is I need to do a good amount of work on the cockpit bottom. This way I'll be able to support the deck w/the cockpit floor unemcumbered, or, I'll be able to lower the deck onto some furniture dollies and move it around. This is similar to what I did w/the Minx.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    The Testa Rossa has been proceding a lot more slowly than I anticipated. But I finally broke down and rented a scissor lift to hang some chains from a roof perling some 18' in the air.
    Hmm. Didn't someone suggest the lift a couple months ago??

Cool

Get Em Joe! We all know about dragging butt! Drive over and break some chops, maybe even ask Deb for assistance LOL!
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    Get Em Joe! We all know about dragging butt! Drive over and break some chops, maybe even ask Deb for assistance LOL!
    I'm not worried about Joe....., but Debbie, that's different!!!
    Maybe Laine will protect me.
    Yep Joe, you're right, I just got tired of waiting.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

It's by far the safest, and fastest way to work that high. We just finished a job at a new Home Depot in Jax. They had an army of these lifts on the job. They'd plug them all in at the end of the day to charge, and if I plugged in the wetsaw, it would blow the breaker. I had to unplug a few of them, while we were using the saw.

So I did get the deck off on Sunday, but the camera card was in my computer bag...........
    Here's a few pictures from today;

BTW, Mr Fixxit was right! the front deck is a lot more flimsy than the Minx. I started out w/the front support through the fuel fill hole, after just a little while I saw the error of my ways and moved it to the anchor light hole.

Attached Images Attached Images
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

George I would let you do my Corsican fuel tank, but you would tell everyone what is wrong or worse show pictures of my bilge!!
    Randy owner of Donzis since 1966
    High Performance props 3, 4, and 5 blade. Turbo and Stainless Steel props. Props for old Volvo drives.
    The reason congressmen try so hard to get re-elected is that they would hate to have to make a living under the laws they've passed.

Randy, I wouldn't if you didn't want me to.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Looks good George! Are you going to leave the deck suspended or place it on something?
    1968 Donzi 2+3
    Location: Green Cove Springs, Florida http://www.greencovesprings.com/
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. - Frank Zappa
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by vonkamp View Post
    Looks good George! Are you going to leave the deck suspended or place it on something?
    When the time comes to work on the deck, I'll put it on something. It'll be awhile.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

G, do you have a plan for power?

Thread Information