Thread: 22 Windshield

22 Windshield

I've just started the reconditioning of a 1988 22 Classic and want to look into replacing the windscreen. The side panels are cracked and the windscreen is weather 'checked'. Question is: the windshield is framed in stainless steel and curved. Does anyone know if it's a molded curved piece of plastic or just a flat piece of plastic that bends and follows the molding curvature? I hope it's the latter, because I could surely have a flat piece cut for a lot less than trying to find a curved one. Anyone ever done this and are there any suggestions where I should start my search for new plastic?

Sounds like you have the infamous "Italian" windshield.
    RedDog

President - West Vestal Donzi Owner's Group
    Knoxville, TN

take your winshield apart and take it to a plastics shop they can cut u the pieces or u can go by it and do it yourself its flat plastic but its not cut straight

You're right, I found a sticker that says Berenzoni of Italy. I can use the old one for a pattern as long as a flat piece will bend to the proper curvature of the frame. I'll try Tap Plastics.

Tap can bang one out for about $100 - I had their shop in San Leandro make one for me a couple months ago, although I only needed the forward portion. I just dropped off the broken parts taped together and one day later they had a new part for me.

Hey, since you're in the bay area you should join us at Tahoe next weekend - see the thread under the events section. I'll be driving up stupid-early Friday morning from Walnut Grove in the delta
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Don, that Tahoe trip sounds fun but I've gotta work. Only had this boat a week and I've spent the last 2 days trying to clean it up. It's in pretty rough shape, oxidized and scratched up. I can't wait to get her out for a shake down ride. Maybe tomorrow.

Well hey, I'll keep an eye out for you. I've got my girlfriend's mother visiting this weekend and I've been told I am NOT to take her out in the Donzi as she's the nervous type. Still, it's looking like a pretty good weekend out on the delta and I've got to do a little work on the boat anyway so just maybe...

I usually launch up on Steamboat Slough at Hogback Island as it's close to the house. I'm guessing you run around more in the southern part of the delta. But hey, when you cruise at 50 mph it doesn't take long to get anywhere, right?

If you see a guy in a white w/red strips 22 with a scared looking 50-something passenger and PO'ed girlfriend riding with him, that'll be me!
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Thread Information