Thread: Newbie with a Donzi

Newbie with a Donzi

Hi guys,
    Just registered and hope this is the right place to start. After being away from boating for about 10 years, I stumbled into a vintage 22 Classic that I just couldn't pass up. I've owned many boats in the past but in recent years I got into street rodding. I must admit, it feels good to have a boat again. I've always loved the 22 Classic and had a couple of friends that had them and always said if I could ever find an older one I'd love to have one....I now I have one! It's a 1988 25th Anniversary Edition with only 450 hours on it, never been in salt water (up until yesterday), but cosmetically it needs a lot of work. It's white with grey hull sides and stripe with gray seats with red piping. The motor is a 454 330hp with Bravo I drive. The motor is very strong, probably the best thing about the boat. I just hope I can do something with the gelcoat. It's very milky, scuffed and scratched. It's got some typical spider web cracking around deck hardware but I guess this should be expected on a 20 year old boat. I don't want to paint it, so I think wet sanding and buffing will help. Gonna be a lot of work for sure. As I run into problems, I might ask for some advice...I heard this is ONLY place to get the right answers about a Donzi.

Welcome. Sure hope you are flushing that engine/drive after salt water use.

The search button should be your 1st new friend here, but to get you started.....

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44797

Again, welcome.
    Randy

Welcome and what you hear is correct. I we don't about it it probably doesn't exist. There are plenty of guys on the board that have brought gel coat back from the dead. Plenty of products on the market to help. I have color sanded and polished and have done pretty well. Spited cracks are another issue.
    Randy owner of Donzis since 1966
    High Performance props 3, 4, and 5 blade. Turbo and Stainless Steel props. Props for old Volvo drives.
    The reason congressmen try so hard to get re-elected is that they would hate to have to make a living under the laws they've passed.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaDog View Post
    Hi guys,
    Just registered and hope this is the right place to start. After being away from boating for about 10 years, I stumbled into a vintage 22 Classic that I just couldn't pass up. I've owned many boats in the past but in recent years I got into street rodding. I must admit, it feels good to have a boat again. I've always loved the 22 Classic and had a couple of friends that had them and always said if I could ever find an older one I'd love to have one....I now I have one! It's a 1988 25th Anniversary Edition with only 450 hours on it, never been in salt water (up until yesterday), but cosmetically it needs a lot of work. It's white with grey hull sides and stripe with gray seats with red piping. The motor is a 454 330hp with Bravo I drive. The motor is very strong, probably the best thing about the boat. I just hope I can do something with the gelcoat. It's very milky, scuffed and scratched. It's got some typical spider web cracking around deck hardware but I guess this should be expected on a 20 year old boat. I don't want to paint it, so I think wet sanding and buffing will help. Gonna be a lot of work for sure. As I run into problems, I might ask for some advice...I heard this is ONLY place to get the right answers about a Donzi.
    Congrats, I just picked up a 1988 20' Minx, it's also the 25 anniversary edition. I'm in the same 'boat' as you are in regard to the gel coat.

I started to buff mine out, and I can tell you that the Donzi quality is second to none... It can be buffed out. I also believe 88 was the last year of everything being gel coat, even the red pinstripes around the deck stripe I think are gel...

After using mine a bit I stopped with the buffing for now, I don't like the interior (the gray is way too hot) and I think I'm going to repaint using interlux Perfection with a different color scheme to match the new interior. I'll probably do that in the winter

Thread Information