Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Might go look at this '69 16...any advice?

Might go look at this '69 16...any advice?

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/0/7/86794907.htm

May not be worth the asking price, but it's pretty close to where I live, so I may go take a look. Any tips on what to check out on it? What's the deal with only 3 clam shell vents? I found an old ad for it on usedboats.com, which had 2 larger pics, which I'm attaching...

Since the added vent looks like the new style pergo, adding another shouldn't be to big a problem. But the four will not match. Its probably a late dated 1968, in which case it had two vents. The added "blower vent" IS kind of funny, as is having the original vents both facing foreward. The boat has been painted, so, buyer beware - look for glass repair work. There is nothing here that proves it is actually a "real" Donzi. With a strong four barrel 351 with thru exhaust this should be a fairly fast 16, faster than a new one. It should at least do 60. The ad does say it was restored. That can mean many things. If the gas tank was replaced and maybe the deck recored or the stringers reworked, this may be a good find with a little work, another vent and some period decals to get it back to some sense of trim. It might not be a collectable, but its a runner.
    If the seller doesn't know anything about the boat then their price should reflect that. The ad has that quality about it - no provinance. The seller will tell you more about the boat, than the boat will. The wrap around handholds, and what I'm seeing, says its a real, vintage 68-69 Donzi thats been faired and repainted.

Looks like a reasonable entry level 16' and/or candidate for further restoration.

Bring a flashlight and look for a hull #. Should be on the back of the dash or up on the inside of the stem where the bow ring is glassed/bolted in.

Does it have an interior? Has the tank been replaced? The trailer looks a little shaky. If the drive and engine are solid - make a bid. If any of the above is suspect, 7K is too high. If the boat needs paint, an interior, engine work, drive work, a trailer, gauges and a new tank - RUN AWAY. You would be much better served buying a boat like the '68 v-drive barrelback which likely needs nothing and where the owner almost certainly has way more into it than the asking price.

Remember, new boats depreciate (like crazy), old boats are ongoing projects that are either capital intensive ($$$$), or labor intensive - which one do you have a lot of?

Also know (and it's been discussed at length) that 16's are really lake boats - if you are running on bigger water, you might want a bigger boat.

A little over six months to the Dust-off!
    JL

Thinking this boat is a bit older than a 69... If anyone is seriously interested in this boat it is right in Matty's back yard, within a few miles of him anyway... I'm sure he wouldnt mind looking at it for someone... toss him a line if interested mnmveth@optonline.net

Thanks a lot fellas.

I do have a relative who is an experienced painter, so I'm not too worried about the finish, as long as the hull is solid. I know 1 or 2 people that are experienced with hulls that I might be able to bring along. I'll also drop Matty a line. Yeah, I definitely won't bother making an offer it if it needs major work to be a good runner and looker.

Quote Originally Posted by jl1962 View Post
    Looks like a reasonable entry level 16' and/or candidate for further restoration.

Bring a flashlight and look for a hull #. Should be on the back of the dash or up on the inside of the stem where the bow ring is glassed/bolted in.

Does it have an interior? Has the tank been replaced? The trailer looks a little shaky. If the drive and engine are solid - make a bid. If any of the above is suspect, 7K is too high. If the boat needs paint, an interior, engine work, drive work, a trailer, gauges and a new tank - RUN AWAY. You would be much better served buying a boat like the '68 v-drive barrelback which likely needs nothing and where the owner almost certainly has way more into it than the asking price.

Remember, new boats depreciate (like crazy), old boats are ongoing projects that are either capital intensive ($$$$), or labor intensive - which one do you have a lot of?

Also know (and it's been discussed at length) that 16's are really lake boats - if you are running on bigger water, you might want a bigger boat.

A little over six months to the Dust-off!
    JL

Jay, it looks like you are officially fully consumed by Donzi-itis...congratulations!

Member: Red Boat Club
    1996 22' Classic
    Volvo 7.4GSi/DPX (E-4 props)
    bone stock 72.8 gps mph

Why does it have a right hand prop with a port side helm? Looks like a Volvo ultra prop.......
    ------------------------
    Charter member KWOSG

Cliff caught the same thing wrong rotation and no tabs, must lay on its side at speed. Bring a 1/2 dollar with you to tap the stringers, deck and transom in and out, should sound nice and sharp any dull sounding areas are suspect for rot! 7k does seem a bit tall price wise but it may turn out to be decent.

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

So a new prop would be needed/desirable, eh?

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Jay, it looks like you are officially fully consumed by Donzi-itis...congratulations!
    Thanks Tony. Must be contagious, the guy I bought the boat from had a real bad case!

I'm thinkin' that boat is probably a '65. Look at the way the 3 bolts form a triangle on either side of the drive. That's consistant with an Eaton drive.
    ------------------------
    Charter member KWOSG

Quote Originally Posted by jl1962 View Post
    Thanks Tony. Must be contagious, the guy I bought the boat from had a real bad case!
    Oh yeah, he's a real certifiable nut case. And his wife, too!!!!!!!!!!
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by BERTRAM BOY View Post
    I'm thinkin' that boat is probably a '65. Look at the way the 3 bolts form a triangle on either side of the drive. That's consistant with an Eaton drive.
    Very interesting, thanks for spotting that!

If this boat is as old as I think it is, it's most likely going to have coring issues. If it's been stored inside most of it's life, you may get off easy. Mine had to have ALL of it's coring replaced. Back then they never sealed any drilled holes, and used cross-grain balsa rather than the more desirable end-grain balsa that is used today.

End-grain balsa keeps moisture localized to a small area should moisture enter the balsa. Cross-grain allows moisture to "wick" throughout the balsa.
    ------------------------
    Charter member KWOSG

Yeah, I'm thinking this boat is probably over my head if it needs too much work right off the bat, unless the seller will go really low on the price.

Thread Information