Thread: Trim Tab Fluid

Trim Tab Fluid

I hope all I need is fluid. My tabs won't move. I hear the pump turning. I have a trim master box mounted on the transum. Is the threaded slotted rod my fill cap? It is located on the front side of the box directly between the two hoses. What should the fluid level be>

Thanks, Tom

Tom ,
    I don't know hold old your unit is , but it probably is'nt too much different from mine ....
    That threaded slotted rod is NOT your fill .
    The fill is a little bent black dipstick that sits on top of the reservior box (away from the electrical workings etc) it looks like a little black button.
    Pick it up with your fingernail and lift it out (remember it is bent , not straight so it wont come out in a straight line).
    If you are out of trim oil you should look around a bit to see if you have a leak or other problem.
    Steve
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

mrfixxall Guest

mrfixxall

Quote Originally Posted by TBroccoli
    I hope all I need is fluid. My tabs won't move. I hear the pump turning. I have a trim master box mounted on the transum. Is the threaded slotted rod my fill cap? It is located on the front side of the box directly between the two hoses. What should the fluid level be>
    Thanks, Tom
    do you hav ethe square black pump? if so look between the black lines ware the lines come out of the pump,look a little lower and their should be a black plug,pop it out and fill their...

Talking

TrimMaster with the black plastic reservoir???
    Dipstick and filler hole all in one.
    Most likely the fluid is low.
    Fluid used from the factory is an environment-friendly hydraulic fluid (clear). You can buy this type from them or use power steering fluid. The ps fluid isn't as friendly to the environment, but it is easy to find.
    Sounds like you have lost fluid over time by it leaking out of the reservoir. It has a two piece tank and the seal is not that great. There is no gasket.
    I took some blue permatex and sealed the joint. Never had a problem after that.
    Good luck.
    Also, here is the link to their website. http://www.trimmaster.net/ Loads of good info on it, troubleshooting, parts, etc. They are also one of the nicest companies to deal with. I ordered a replacement tab and parts from them before and were so helpful and friendly, a customer's dream.

B
    Last edited by Tidbart; 09-01-2006 at 07:49 AM.

Yeah Dan at Trim master is awesome. Called in for parts wed at my door Fri. The fill is a black circular piece of plastic u have to pry up wit a small pocket knife. Lousy design at it should be more user friendly.

Sofa King

Same symptom - Years later

I had to bring this thread back to life. It seems as though I never summarized my problem and how I fixed it. Sorry for that.

A weekend or so ago while pulling the kids on tubes I noticed my tabs not being as effective as usual. Later, in the driveway, I checked the performance of the trim tabs and discovered the pump turns and I can hear the solenoids clicking but no movement of the tabs. I gotta admit, I started tearing into the pump and reservoir several times. Pausing to google my problem. I knew I could operate the boat without the tabs and contemplated how deep I wanted to dig into the problem. After quitting for the third time and putting everything back together, I tried one more google search. To my surprise I found a link to a topic very similar to mine. I clicked on it to find it was this very thread. It immediately jogged my memory. How did I fix this problem 11 years ago. I got back to work. I removed the cover. Added fluid to see where it was leaking from. Noticed it was just under the pump inlet. I removed the pump strap. I lifted the pump a bit to see that the inlet tube was missing. I was able to remove 4 of the 6 screws that hold the top to the reservoir in place. I pulled it up enough to get my fingers into the reservoir. Sure enough I found the inlet tube. It had fallen out of the pump. I cleaned it up. Shoved it back into the pump. Put the o-ring/washer in place, buttoned everything back up and cycled the pump several times. Ta Da, it works fine. Hopefully the tube will stay in place for another 11yrs.

Sorry for not posting the fix to my problem back then. Thanks to those who tried to help me many years ago.

Yet another great example of how we can benefit from the experiences of others because not everyone has the same problems .
    I would never have guessed of the pickup tube dropping out .
    I did once have the original oil get contaminated and turn lumpy and that blocked the pickup tube . I think that enviro friendly oil was prone to that .
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Thread Information