Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: early morse shifters ???????

mine stays in as well, and starts in gear..

71 here
    Sincerely,
    Broque
    1971 H/M 18' classic
    351w/Volvo 250
    MTI TA trailer thanks to Dr Dan!

Yes, I have a lanyard
    N/E donzi club member
    My Space

Morse Shifter Setup

Matt,
    My setup is different from yours because I have a foot throttle.
    When the Morse shifter (lock out) is pushed in it provides forward, neutral and reverse functions only and the foot petal controls the throttle.
    When the (lock out) button is pulled out I am in neutral no matter what position the handle is in.
    Bobby

let me clear things up here
    my shifter works the same as Bobby's
    mine is not a morse shifter it is a replacement put in by holman moody when they removed the 289 eaton combo I have seen this shifter on a few h/m replacement boats you pull the lock out out to disable the shifting of gears but allow throttle and it will stay there until you push it in with one exception you can only push it in if the shifter is returned to nuetral

mine does not have a nuetral safety so the starter will crank anytime the key is turned regardless of where the shifter is

Kenny's Morse shifter is the bigger SS one with the big housing not a flush mount like the standard donzi shifter and it works the same way with two exceptions
    when in the lock out mode if you return the shifter to nuetral after letting the engine warm up the lock out is automatically removed
    and it will not crank over with out the boat being in nuetral or if you have the lock out engaged
    and Poodle if ya ever make your way back north I can show ya the shifter in the cig
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

let me clear things up here
    my shifter works the same as Bobby's
    mine is not a morse shifter it is a replacement put in by holman moody when they removed the 289 eaton combo I have seen this shifter on a few h/m replacement boats you pull the lock out out to disable the shifting of gears but allow throttle and it will stay there until you push it in with one exception you can only push it in if the shifter is returned to nuetral

mine does not have a nuetral safety so the starter will crank anytime the key is turned regardless of where the shifter is

Kenny's Morse shifter is the bigger SS one with the big housing not a flush mount like the standard donzi shifter and it works the same way with two exceptions
    when in the lock out mode if you return the shifter to nuetral after letting the engine warm up the lock out is automatically removed
    and it will not crank over with out the boat being in nuetral or if you have the lock out engaged
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

morse shifter

I have a 74 sweet 16 and I am looking for the original morse shifter are there any around ? I want to buy the knob from scott(I believe ) as well ! Trying to get back to as close as possible to original!

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhed View Post
    I have a 74 sweet 16 and I am looking for the original morse shifter are there any around ? I want to buy the knob from scott(I believe ) as well ! Trying to get back to as close as possible to original!

Scott also has some shifters around drop him a line about that and the knobs

whtdobe@aol.com

shifters

Thanks I sent an email I'll wait to hear! I have other questions on other parts for both boats but I will wait to hear on these first!

he may be a little slow getting to his email i know he is on the road with work and then will be going out to AOTH this weekend so he will have no email access

I have an original Morse Shifter I will sell you.
    2001 35 Fountain Lightning w500 EFI's
    1973 X-18 - Merc 383 Magnum
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer with 1271 TI's

All that style shifter did not have the neutral start safty switch so they cane out with a kit to keep the feds happy. Most ou the units that has neutral start safty switches , were on the engine and shift linkage there.
    Randy owner of Donzis since 1966
    High Performance props 3, 4, and 5 blade. Turbo and Stainless Steel props. Props for old Volvo drives.
    The reason congressmen try so hard to get re-elected is that they would hate to have to make a living under the laws they've passed.

shifter

griz do you have pics of it ? It would be for my 74 sweet 16 so left hand shifter

I am thinking that the whole neutral safety switch really did not come into being until that whole 'safety patrol' thing, brought on by insurance claims started, in say, the mid to late 80's.. I had a 1980 Howard with nearly 600 horsepower, using a standard morse controller and a turbo 400 hitting the V-drive.. No safety switch.
    The little Donzi V-drive uses a period typical 1967 morse control, which is smaller but looks the same. No 'lectronics' in there!

Fun stuff to start in gear, and just fast idle up to on plane..

Who actually needs a neutral safety switch??
    You are either %$$#@ coherent enough to know what gear you are in when your start your boat, nor not.. Right??
    Don't see a lot of neutral safety switches on cars with manual transmissions..? or do you?? Would they be on the clutch pedal?

Inquiring minds, want to know..

Oh yea, btw....
    I really love my Donzi..
    ( Can you tell I went out this weekend)

GG
    Garry Greth
    1967 Ski Sporter V-drive
    1982 Newport 28
    Seattle, WA

I do not have any pictures and had only put one on but that was sooo long ago I don't remember what I did. I do remember it was not an easy job since it is tough to get at the shifter. I don't ecen know if they are still available.
    Randy owner of Donzis since 1966
    High Performance props 3, 4, and 5 blade. Turbo and Stainless Steel props. Props for old Volvo drives.
    The reason congressmen try so hard to get re-elected is that they would hate to have to make a living under the laws they've passed.

shifters

hedge just saw your post missed it do you have pictures of the shifter and it's a side mount left hand drive? how much?

hedge just saw your post missed it do you have pictures of the shifter and it's a side mount left hand drive? how much?
    It is a left (not that I think it matters). I will get a pic today. I just want out what I paid. I will take a look and see. It works great.
    2001 35 Fountain Lightning w500 EFI's
    1973 X-18 - Merc 383 Magnum
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer with 1271 TI's

Thread Information