Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: early morse shifters ???????

early morse shifters ???????

did the morse shifters in the early donzi's ( mid 60's early 70's) have a nuetral safety switch??? if not when when was it incorporated into the shifter????
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Matty there is a retro fit kit, I looked it up it is at the top of the page below.

http://www.prestomart.com/product.ph...for%20Twin%20S
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

so they didn't come with one??? when did they add it???
    were the early shifters seachoice or twin s ??????
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

mrfixxall Guest

mrfixxall

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy
    did the morse shifters in the early donzi's ( mid 60's early 70's) have a nuetral safety switch??? if not when when was it incorporated into the shifter????
    Matty,mines a 1977 and does not have one...

I just discovered this weekend that my '67 with the Morse shifter has a neutral safety switch. As to whether it's original or not, I'm not sure, but my guess would be that it is.

Eric

Matty,

My 1969 H/M 18' Classic had a neutral safty switch built into it. Pull out, rev no go anywhere, push in, rev you better be hanging on to the steering wheel and not tied up at the dock. It appeared to be original equip as best I know.
    Scott Boldt

Morse Shifter

Matty,

My 1970 H/M 16 Ski Sporter Morse shifter has a neutral safety switch that I believe to be the original setup. It woks exactly like Scott explained with one exception my boat will start up in gear.

Bobby

just a thought here and then I'll go back to sleep cause I'm still trying to find that hidden forum of ospreys....thought it might be that contributor forum, but mine shows nothing in there. Maybe I got passed over as a contributor. Anyway, doesn't really matter.....

any chance the difference between having a lock out and not might be determined by the drive on the boat? just a thought because the 77 does not yet we see up to 70 so far that does. Volvo being obviously before the 77 year and Mercruiser having come along by 77? Volvo was running a cone clutch where I believe the merc used a mesh something or other hence the gears clicking into gear to engage when those drives were put in gear.
    Scott Boldt

yes as Madpoodle says lockout is different allowing you to advance the throttle while not in gear, a nuetral safety switch to put it simply will not let the juice flow to the starter unless the lock out is engaged! on some shifters it disengages after the throttle is placed in nuetral on others you need to disengage the lock out manually
    My boat has a lockout but with start in gear, kenny's cig has a safety switch the starter will not crank if the lockout is not engaged
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

My '68 V-Drive has a neutral safety switch. We just recently had to replace it and it took several tries to find the right one. We needed one "normally open" ...or was it "normally closed"??? Can't remember.
    Whichever, it was opposite of what most vendors thought it should be.
    fastcat
    1996 22 Classic
    454 Magnum
    Bravo One

I would believe it would be normally open which means when the switch is not activated the circuit is not closed then when the switch is activated it closes and then closes the circuit letting juice flow so I would also figure the leads from the start post of the ign switch would run to the safety switch then out of the other side of the safety switch to the starter
    where a safety laynard would be just the opposite closed when not activated letting juice flow and when pulled opening up the circuit which would run from the on position of the ign switch thru the laynard to the coil
    Sparky
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

My boat has a lockout but with start in gear, kenny's cig has a safety switch the starter will not crank if the lockout is not engaged
    Now I'm really confused. My boat's starter motor circuit will close with the shifter in neutral (with or without the plunger pulled out) and with the shifter disengaged (plunger pulled out) with the throttle lever foward. This is the warmup feature.
    With the shifter engaged (plunger pushed in) and the throttle anywhere other than absolutely vertical (neutral), the starter motor circuit is broken and the starter will not crank. This is the neutral safety feature.

Are you saying that the Cig's starter will not crank if the plunger's pushed in?

Here's a question:
    Does the the circuit interupt happen at the shifter end, or the transmission end of the shift cable?

Eric

Eric , you have a nuetral safety switch as does the cig the starter will only get juice and crank if
    A) the lock out is engaged on his morse shifter it is pulled out and automatically returns in when the shifter is placed back in nuetral
    B) the shifter is in nuetral

mine will start wot in fwd reverse or locked out

the switch is in the shifter and on Kenny's shifter there are two switch closures one operated by the lockout( the warmup give gas on cold start when it is pushed in or pulled out depending on model) and the other is activated when the shifter is in nuetral
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

mine will start wot in fwd reverse or locked out
    Ah! You've got the old Flatbottom system, huh? "Paddle, point, push, and pray" (pray your rudder is straight, and there's enough water under the prop when she jumps out of the hole!). LOL!

Eric

it is pulled out and automatically returns in when the shifter is placed back in nuetral
    My plunger doesn't automatically suck back in. I have to push it in. Now I'm jealous! Maybe Pearson can locate the proper spring for all of us suffering from this malady. The "non-sucking shifter plunger fix" kit.

Thread Information