Thread: HELP!! Stock 350 mag, one side hot!!

HELP!! Stock 350 mag, one side hot!!

Okay, my situation is this, the starboard side of my port 350 mag is getting hot. The engine temp is reading 150 on the garden hose, more water is coming out the port side exhaust than the starboard side (but water is coming out, and hotter than the port side). This happens in all RPM ranges. Also, this is a 2002 boat. Here is what I have replaced:

water impeller
    starboard exhaust manifold
    starboard riser

If you put your hand on the riser of both motors (and also the exhaust manifolds), all are cool to the touch except for the starboard side of the port motor. One other thing so that you understand my sequence of events, I first replaced the manifold only when I melted my exhaust hose last summer (lot's of rust in it). The temperature issue still existed so I bought a new riser (of which I just put on today), and my same problem still persists. Just so you understand the heat I am experiencing, the quick and quiet y-pipe is no longer shiny chrome, the exhaust tip will not polishe. Thanx in advance for any help. Going to AOTH and don't want to miss out,

tom
    2002 28ZX

did you check the hoses and T-stat housing for blockage?

do you have that crazy spring ball valve thing installed that regulates the flow?

Lightbulb

Do you have the Tstat housing with the ball checks? You should also check water flow through that side, take the feed hose off the riser and put the garden hose to it at about 1/4 open it should flow very free. If it spurts back at you the riser is blocked.

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Just checked you being in fresh water it could well be the ball checks, pull the hoses off the Tstat if you see nylon balls with a rod going through them take them apart. What happens over time is the balls wear and stick in the Tstat housing, you can turn them around on the rod putting the good side to the housing. Look at how much thread is showing and match that going back together, they should be seated but not tight.

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

In addition to MOP's suggestions, it it possible that you have impeller vanes, caught up in the cooling system somewhere causing a blockage? Also, you may have a considerable amount of sand caught in the engine block cooling passages. If there's a blue plug on the starboard side of the engine block, does water drain freely when you pull it?
    If you on the sho', then you sho' not me, yo.

1997 18 Classic 350 MAG/MPI Bravo -
    2004 Formula 27PC T-350 MAG/MPI Bravo III

He had an extra rubber floating around in the thermastat housing.

Im not sure if it was used or not.
    2000 28ZX Scorpion SOLD
    1979 Criterion
    1986 Z29

RED/WHITE
    TWIN SBC 330HP
    ALPHA 1'S
    Mcleod design Interior

Quote Originally Posted by Trueser View Post
    He had an extra rubber floating around in the thermastat housing.

Im not sure if it was used or not.
    I don't want to know!
    2001 35 Fountain Lightning w500 EFI's
    1973 X-18 - Merc 383 Magnum
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer with 1271 TI's

I think it is typical for one side to run warmer than another - at least for a BBC and I can't remember which side it is that runs warmer.

But your description sounds like the difference is more extreme?
    RedDog

President - West Vestal Donzi Owner's Group
    Knoxville, TN

Call off the dogs!!!! Okay, call me stupid, but I got if figured out, Thanx to Trueser for given me a personal phone call to my distress. Randy is right, there was a blade from the impeller about 1 3/4" long stuck in the tstat housing. So in a way, Trueser's condom reference is accurate, but he knew what he was talkin about. I did have an impeller disintegrate last year, but I thought I got all of the pieces out. Like I said call me stupid, but I never would have thought a chunk that big would have been able to travel from the impeller housing, through the water pump, around the corner in the tstat housing, and stop just before the t stat! Thank you guys SO MUCH for your help and pullin me out of panic mode, ALL OF YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!!!

tom
    2002 28ZX

Quote Originally Posted by FISHIN SUCKS View Post
    Call off the dogs!!!! Okay, call me stupid, but I got if figured out, Thanx to Trueser for given me a personal phone call to my distress. Randy is right, there was a blade from the impeller about 1 3/4" long stuck in the tstat housing. So in a way, Trueser's condom reference is accurate, but he knew what he was talkin about. I did have an impeller disintegrate last year, but I thought I got all of the pieces out. Like I said call me stupid, but I never would have thought a chunk that big would have been able to travel from the impeller housing, through the water pump, around the corner in the tstat housing, and stop just before the t stat! Thank you guys SO MUCH for your help and pullin me out of panic mode, ALL OF YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!!!
    tom

Thats okay your still THE PIMP!
    www.mwdonziclub.com

Just so you understand the heat I am experiencing, the quick and quiet y-pipe is no longer shiny chrome, the exhaust tip will not polishe.[/quote]

everyone knows the best way to judge some one is the shinyness of their exhaust

if you are planning on this type of sub-par detailing i would like to maybe recommend changing your slip to be closer to the houseboats,
    Please keep in mind I don't know anything......
    any information I have is made up.....
    and generally I am part of the problem
    VICE President-Weller's Bay DONZI Association

OFFICIAL LAKE GEORGE POKER RUN CHAMPION

Quote Originally Posted by glashole View Post
    everyone knows the best way to judge some one is the shinyness of their exhaust

Just so you know, unlike our old boat, these tips are not visible, unless on the trailer. But don't you worry, I will bring some flitz, so you can polishe yours up!!!
    2002 28ZX

Thread Information