Thread: Grand Isle...Team Jefe Takes 3rd Place Wahoo

Grand Isle...Team Jefe Takes 3rd Place Wahoo

...well Donzi Angel actually boated the 3rd place fish....but I put the lines out and worked the gaff.

Quick Highlight

In addition to the 3rd place Wahoo, our two boat team took the 1st place Amberjack and 2nd place Grouper. Seas were rough...fishing was tough, but the soup and sushi were first class.

Detailed report and photos to come.
    Capt. D.J. "Jefe" Reid -- RIP Big Grizz..and MOM
    '98 30ZF - Jefe's Revenge, '07 250 E-Tecs
    Founder/Co-Captain (South Region) - Donzi RED Bikini Crew
    "Revenge is a Dish Best Served...Wet"
    www.facebook.com/Team.Jefe

good job at the rodeo! I was there but we just go to fish the back waters. Thought the island faired well from the storm. will look you up next year

well done hayfay! post pics!
    Digger
    1996 33ZX "FREEDOM II"

matt@unitedyacht.com

Working on it buddy....I actually don't have that many pics and I'm trying to get the others rounded up.

Here are a few....sadly I don't have one of Renee's winning fish...it was kinda hectic at the weigh in

Donzi Angel in the chair
    Our trip out - Sport fish, Shrimp boat and Big Games Rods
    Renee with me and some fish in the background - Fourchon LA
    Team Jefe Pimpin' the Good Vibrations

holy fishboat batman! thats a serious machine.
    Digger
    1996 33ZX "FREEDOM II"

matt@unitedyacht.com

I was in Grand Isle Saturday B4 Katrina. Heard it was under 6 foot og water and took a severe hit. Entire Island was evacuated. Bridge was out for 3 weeks due to shifting. Went Red Fishing there last weekend and boated 150 lbs Friday- fished marsh next day but slow due to no tides. Marina was rebuilt from Ground up. All homes you saw are new .
    RKILBY
    25th Anniversary
    1988 22 Classic
    1966 16' Ski Sporter

Congrats. I'm looking forward to the salmon run here in a week or two!
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Sweet - nice job on the Reds....for sure Grand Isle went through hell during KAtrina. I recognized the Island, but A BUNCH had changed. Still, the Cajun's just pick up a go on with life.....C'est La Vie.

Carl - Good luck with the Salmon..get us some pics of your catch....Only has one Freshwater pic on this whole forum...and it was more about tits than fish...Not that I'm complaining

Quote Originally Posted by Team Jefe
    Carl - Good luck with the Salmon..get us some pics of your catch....Only has one Freshwater pic on this whole forum...and it was more about tits than fish...Not that I'm complaining
    Will do on the pics; meanwhile here's one from last year. That's me on the left.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Nice Carl!
    Team Jefe, I plan on 2 Grand Isle Trips per year! I do not fish often but La. has me hooked. Had a shark yank a Ambassador 6500 reel and rod out of an experienced young lady's hands. The owner of the reel had it for 25 years and hated to see it go overboard buy surmized it was for a good cause and better than someone dropping it overboard. We saw the shark jump 50 yards out. Come to find out... upon pulling in the anchor line, he had wrapped it around and snapped the steel line in two. We retrieved the rod and reel!
    RKILBY
    25th Anniversary
    1988 22 Classic
    1966 16' Ski Sporter

Russ,

NICE red there buddy,...those damn things were darn near fished out here in FL,...Fish and WildLife stepped in, finally starting to catch some nice ones again,................but not that nice

Wayne
    1967 Ski Sporter Bench Seat Project Boat

Tact - The ability to make a point without making an enemy.

Thanks Wayne,

These were the Bull Reds which are said to run in August and Sept.
    The females come just off shore from the marsh same time of year and lay eggs , Bulls do their thing and the tide sweeps them into the marsh where they begin life.
    The bulls are not legal I believe 3 miles off shore to have in the boat. Only one per person per day is allowed over 28".

How have you been? South Fla cooling off yet? Got to fly into Ft Lauderdale 10/1 late and work toward Tampa on 10/4 B4 coming home. Rub rail came in today for my broken boat so now I need to find time to do some work on it. Needs bottom paint, deck off to repair pulled out screws, replace the gimble ring...wow, makes me cringe just thinking about it!
    RKILBY
    25th Anniversary
    1988 22 Classic
    1966 16' Ski Sporter

Quote Originally Posted by sweet 16 1966
    Thanks Wayne,
    These were the Bull Reds which are said to run in August and Sept.
    The females come just off shore from the marsh same time of year and lay eggs , Bulls do their thing and the tide sweeps them into the marsh where they begin life.
    The bulls are not legal I believe 3 miles off shore to have in the boat. Only one per person per day is allowed over 28".
    How have you been? South Fla cooling off yet? Got to fly into Ft Lauderdale 10/1 late and work toward Tampa on 10/4 B4 coming home. Rub rail came in today for my broken boat so now I need to find time to do some work on it. Needs bottom paint, deck off to repair pulled out screws, replace the gimble ring...wow, makes me cringe just thinking about it!
    Well, it isn't exactly cooling off yet, but the humidity is dropping a little bit, so it's not AS bad,....

I've been busier that a 1 legged man in an as kickin competition, but that's good I guess, better busy and paid than slow and unemployed,.....or so they say

I didn't realize that your boat was broken,...the 16? Well, you may cringe, but, seeing the pictures of you sanding your deck / etc. I think your a little like George,....you really do enjoy doing it I think we all do (I do), but unfortunately,...time time time,...aint on my side.

You're going to be in Lauderdale on 10/1,....hmm, give me a call, maybe I'll be south that week, and we can get together for lunch, I'd really like to take you to Islamorada Fish Company,...the Grouper sandwich is to die for,...and maybe we can drag Poodle away from the office.

Anyway, gotta run,....drag the kids out of the tub,...storytime, teeth brushing, etc. then finally bed, and peace and quiet (until my boy wakes up at 4am hungry )

Take care!
    Wayne
    1967 Ski Sporter Bench Seat Project Boat

Tact - The ability to make a point without making an enemy.

Thread Information