13 2.91%
  • the Black widow

11 2.47%
  • the 38 ZR

23 5.16%
  • the 35 zr flat deck

1 0.22%
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: what has been the most significant donzi ever made?

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C
    Matty, it sounds like you voted for the 16 but look at the poll results: the 18C has run away with this one. It wasn't my choice but it's time to declare it the winner.
    Carl it doesn't matter who I voted for, and as long as there is valid discussion on topic in the thread , the poll will stay open, perhaps you would like to re itterate your feeling on why the ZR's are the most significant donzi ever made
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

couldn't we very postively agree that had don not been into offshore racing then donzi probably never would have been... and since don's boat of choice as designed and manufactured by donzi for the purpose of racing was, the 28 sportsman, correct, wouldn't it be the most significant donzi ever devised... the 16 and the st. tropez were tossed in to fit a sales market... but the 18 was what invented donzi no? or do i have a skewed picture in my foggy melon...

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy
    Carl it doesn't matter who I voted for, and as long as there is valid discussion on topic in the thread , the poll will stay open, perhaps you would like to re itterate your feeling on why the ZR's are the most significant donzi ever made
    Rootsy expressed some of my sentiment before I could reply. I love the Classics but my dream boat used to be a 42 ft. Fountain. Now it is a 38 or 43 ZR. From what I have read, they are better boats. They are state of the art in V-bottom boats. I've always equated Donzi with larger off-shore boats; not lake boats. The Classics fill a niche market. The big buck off shore boats are Donzi's bread and butter and the ZRs are getting rave reviews everywhere. They have made Donzi a player again. Therefore at this time they are the most significant Donzi made and maybe before too long I'll find a way to afford one. Just my EXTREMELY HO.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Rootsy expressed some of my sentiment before I could reply. I love the Classics but my dream boat used to be a 42 ft. Fountain. Now it is a 38 or 43 ZR. From what I have read, they are better boats. They are state of the art in V-bottom boats. I've always equated Donzi with larger off-shore boats; not lake boats. The Classics fill a niche market. The big buck off shore boats are Donzi's bread and butter and the ZRs are getting rave reviews everywhere. They have made Donzi a player again. Therefore at this time they are the most significant Donzi made and maybe before too long I'll find a way to afford one. Just my EXTREMELY HO.

Carl,
    as stated here before people recognize a Donzi and most know the classics as the boats they grew up with which is not really a niche market( put a ZX ZR and a cig and a fountain and most can't tell the difference well maybe on a beak boat ) can you state what model you always equated with big offshore boats as maybe I have overlooked a model.
    are you sure the classics are not Donzi's bread and butter has their consistant sales is what funded the R&D on the newer step bottom boats?????????
    yes arguments can be made that certain models have put donzi on the map and return them to the map in the racing field I don't think Donzi ever left the map has far as high performance boats lake or offshore granted they might have been detoured on ocassion. yes the ZR's are getting great reviews as did the 22 SE GT shelby as long as the test driver doesn't soil himslef
    and the fisherman are gonna love you running a ZR on that 2 mile lake of yours
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy
    Carl,
    the fisherman are gonna love you running a ZR on that 2 mile lake of yours
    Yeah, that would be a sight! I don't know the numbers but it seems that they wouldn't make much off the Classics with the limited production and relatively low price.(top of the line ski boats, yawn, are in the mid 70's). I don't know all the models but I've always known that Donzi made big off-shore boats. I've always had small boats and all were performance outboards. When I decided to move up to a larger IO I never even considered anything other than the 22C. I'm just rambling on and that's why this is just my HUMBLE OPINION.

We could break this down to periods and that would answer all the questions.
    '64 to '65 - 28 Sportsman and the 16.
    '65 to '78- 18 2+3
    '78 to '85 - The 22 hull and the later Blackhawk.
    '85 to '2000 - the Z25 and then the ZX 26.
    2000 to 2003- Nothing interesting happened.......
    2003 on, the ZRs.
    But even the ZR isn't that important. Understand the class it was raced in. Its a limited class. Cig has the 45 maxima. Its a twin cockpit also.
    The 28 Sportsman should have been in the original selection.
    I would have voted for that. If it had been. The rules of this game are bad though,
    the 28 was the start of what we call the big offshore race boats. and remember that Bertram dropped out for a while. The 18 and the 16 were attempts to make a glass boat based on the Wynn-Mill. What some one of average means could afford. So in production the 18 wins. In influence, the 28 wins.
    saving Donzi as a name, the Z25 wins.
    The ZRs don't influence anything. They are not unigue in any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Formula Jr
    We could break this down to periods and that would answer all the questions.
    '64 to '65 28 Sportsman.
    '65 to '78 18 2+3
    '78 to '85 The 22 hull.
    '85 to '89 the Z25
    '89 to 2000 Nothing interesting happened.......
    2000 on, the ZR.
    Gotta agree with you 100%

Carl, your dates are better than mine. So I'm also gonna second and say 100% to your list.

OK, you updated the dates! I admit I don't know when all the models were made and I assumed you had it right! I think the ZR is special because it is affordable. Outerlimits and Cigarettes are better but can cost 3 times as much as a 38 ZR w/525s. And what about the 26 or 27 ZR with a 525 for under 100 thou? Now that there is cheap!

I disagree with the 28 "what" " being a pillar for the average joe.
    They set there mark in the racing world.We now what they are because of our passion for these boats,and quite frankly because of the Donzi Registry.
    I also disagree that people have any Idea of Wyman "who" Mill "Huh".Totaly Irelivent.

I do how ever Agree that more than not the 16 is a topic of conversation when discussing Donzi's with people at the Ramp or where ever.

It's been said that the 16 started it all but they did stop production of them for "how many Years"? The 18 has been made non stop from it's birth till today. Isn't that correct?

When I went to the New England boat show at the Bay Side Expo.

They had only 2 Donzi's there/ I'll give you a hint Niether were a sweet 16.

Yes it was an 18, and the beloved ZR which was compeating with the Fountains in the same room.

So here I ask. If the 16 was all of the criteria why would it not be present in place of the 18? I would say because the 16 does not have the same mass apeal.

It should also be mentioned that the 18 stood alone out side the rich boys room. Holding it's own against Formulas, Chris Crafts and all of the inboard Ski boats.As I stood there in Aww there was not one person that didn't comment on it and not one person called it a sweet 16 every one knew exactly what it was.

I really don't Know what Carl is talking about big Donzi's . In the real world I have seen 1 once in my life back in the 70's it was roughly 45 ft or better . It was impressive to me because
    " IT WAS A GIANT DONZI"
    The shear Magnitude of it was based on the 18.

This question may also be based on geological location. Maybe up in those small lakes the 16s where popular and well Known. On the coast I would doubt to see a 16 coming in from out at sea. I can definitively say I never ever saw one on the coast.

joe
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

OK, you updated the dates! I admit I don't know when all the models were made and I assumed you had it right! I think the ZR is special because it is affordable. Outerlimits and Cigarettes are better but can cost 3 times as much as a 38 ZR w/525s. And what about the 26 or 27 ZR with a 525 for under 100 thou? Now that there is cheap!

Carl" The ZR at the boat show was on sale for $418,600.

I certainly do not consider that cheap. Also I don't think your comment about Outers and Cigs is based on fact but more opinion. I would think that all boat builders have the same standards to adhere to.

Ps I don't mean to keep hammering on you But come on man.What the is wrong with you:lookaroun

joe

What about the 65?

Quote Originally Posted by joseph m. hahnl
    Carl" The ZR at the boat show was on sale for $418,600.
    I certainly do not consider that cheap. Also I don't think your comment about Outers and Cigs is based on fact but more opinion. I would think that all boat builders have the same standards to adhere to.
    Ps I don't mean to keep hammering on you But come on man.What the is wrong with you:lookaroun
    joe
    2 examples for the non-believer. A 43 ZR w/525s for 346,000 and a cig 39 available w 2 power packages for 734,000 or 846,000 I do kn ow that you can get a 38 ZR w/525s for under 300,000. My statement is based on fact and I'm outta here.

2 examples for the non-believer. A 43 ZR w/525s for 346,000 and a cig 39 available w 2 power packages for 734,000 or 846,000 I do kn ow that you can get a 38 ZR w/525s for under 300,000. My statement is based on fact and I'm outta here.

I'll leave it alone : But I was talking about them being better boats.

joe

Owen,
    i can buy the arguement for the 28 but if that is the case more weight would have to be given to the hornet has it was a racing model and also a very sucessful production model

Joe,
    let's not confuse this matter with the sales floor plan of a boat show, and at a boat show EVERYONE knows the models if they can read the sales sign
    i would like to know what model 43-45 footer they had in the 70's a racing boat??
    and let's remember there have been some bad judgement made by big business didn't they stop making coke for a while then the new coke failed and sure enuff coke classic made it's return, No Joe I think a stoppage in production and a return to production only proves the 16's significance
    if it wasn't significant why bring it back ?????
    the 18 went thru some changes in molds and feature over it's tenure if that means anything maybe it wasn't significant enuff and they were trying to find the right mix??

Carl can we compare apples to apples?? the cig had 1075's ??? and comes with a custom paint/graphics the 43zr i saw had sterling 900's and was in the 600k range
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Thread Information