13 2.91%
  • the Black widow

11 2.47%
  • the 38 ZR

23 5.16%
  • the 35 zr flat deck

1 0.22%
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: what has been the most significant donzi ever made?

Mind you that I only did quick page counts so these aren't exact but will give an idea of ranking.

From the Registry.

A total of 1275 listed boats.

240 22s
    279 16s
    328 18s - 1/4th of the total.

These three make up 66% of the entire registy list.
    The other 34% is spread across all other Donzi models.

The 16 was the first trial balloon, the 18 was always planned as the bread and butter money maker and became the archetypical Deep Vee, Stern Drive, go-fast that other makers reacted to by making competing designs.

The 28 Sportsman was significant, but only as a race boat and starting point for the later Magnum 27 which wouldn't show up for another four years. The production model of the Sportsman wasn't a commercial success.

The Z25 was also an important boat as a new direction for Donzi and probably had the biggest influence to current Donzis. But by then Donzi was simply reacting to a market that had out paced it - and mainly from other Aronow founded companies.

I don't think any of the other donzis, no matter how nice, were particulary innovative or even influential. Maybe the Blackhawk, but that was very short lived.

The 22 classic and close relatives, is an extremely specialized, niche market group of boats. Aside from former 18 owners looking for their next step up in performance where is there even a market for it?

Maybe there are more 18s here because they are more common and affordable. The question was not which model is more popular but which was more influential. When I think Donzi I think bigger off-shore boats. Also a more meaningful comparison might be to add up the dollar ammount spent on the various boats. Just my 2 cents which is probably actually woth a lot less here.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda
    Why, are we being graded?

Joe,
    LOL no not graded but I mean in school i usually got the teacher's ire when asked to support my findings and use specific information and not use generalities

in hindsight I think I might change the options and scratch the 14 and replace with the 28 sportsman there seems to be more support for that model

Joe also the funny part I agree with you about classes like English and Literature but now with my kids in high school they have to write essays in math how did they get the answer and why did they come up with the answer they did
    when i was in school 2+2 was 4 case closed next not a paragraph on how and why did and in the end was 4 really happy

note I can't change the options in the poll that does make sense boy could you have some fun with that
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Matty, in spite of your efforts to nail down a particular model, I think the posts are defining the Classics (16,18,& 22) as the Donzis everyone remembers. Obviously, the 16 was a pioneer. The 18 gives much better performance and is more affordable to more people. The 22 is for the person who wants to push the limits a bit more and has deeper pockets.
    I'll go out on a limb and say, in spite of the direction Donzi is currently taking, that there is probably a market for a 27'-30' Classic. But it would have to be a Donzi, no copy would work.
    To think that after all these years, these three boats (16,18, & 22) are still in production proves the vision of the founders of Donzi.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Carl
    I don't think you can use the term influential that only limits the choice to the 16 as it influenced the entire show or in real terms Owen would be right in the wyn-mil II being THE ONE

owen in your quick page count is that 18 a total number??
    corsicans, barrelbacks, X18 and the 18 standard??

and I don't think we can say all classics are equal yes they are close but
    the 18 seems to be the front runner now

and sorry if you don't want to answer just vote i didn't want to make it tuff on you people so go back to sleep and I will wake the class when we put on the NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC MOVIE I loved that part in school

oh boy look at the
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter
    I'll go out on a limb and say, in spite of the direction Donzi is currently taking, that there is probably a market for a 27'-30' Classic. But it would have to be a Donzi, no copy would work.
    To think that after all these years, these three boats (16,18, & 22) are still in production proves the vision of the founders of Donzi.

George we have had this discussion before, to be a classic it could not have steps,vberths or cabin, it would have to have low free board limited storage
    so is there really a market for 27-30 deep V with nothing else?? in todays world when you would have to compete with your own 27 and this???
    (wow I have hijacked my own thread I hope you are happy )
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy
    so is there really a market for 27-30 deep V with nothing else?? in todays world when you would have to compete with your own 27 and this???
    (wow I have hijacked my own thread I hope you are happy )
    Well yeah.....
    They built a few Criterions didn't they? That's about as useles a boat as there is, but boy does it have eye appeal!!
    In a former time, there were 14' wooden runabouts, all the way up to 50' runabouts.....yep there were runabouts that big!!! A few people had them built just because they liked the style.
    I think the same would apply to bigger Classics.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter
    Well yeah.....
    They built a few Criterions didn't they? That's about as useles a boat as there is, but boy does it have eye appeal!!
    In a former time, there were 14' wooden runabouts, all the way up to 50' runabouts.....yep there were runabouts that big!!! A few people had them built just because they liked the style.
    I think the same would apply to bigger Classics.
    George I think you are
    wrong on both counts the criterions were designed as a gentleman's racer and a tender which i think it did quite well and
    If there was a market someone would have figured a way to make and market it by now
    I will say tho You a right about the looks

ok back on topic

so is everyone in agreement the 18 is the most significant Donzi ever made??
    going once??
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Slow down! 1. no on ever said a classic had to be obligated to useless space
    In the discussion When is it a classic. I still believe it is the hull. The deck
    has nothing to do with being a classic."moving on" Classics are Driving boats that is there only true purpose. "which Makes the criterion one of the greatest driving boats ever made ." Now back to the thread. 40 yrs is a long time to make something .It really needs to be broken down in Eras. Today the ZR 38 will be the biggest influence for people to recognize a Donzi and Admire it and eventually become DONUTS.

It really all comes down Recognition. If there are more 16's out there then they are more likely to be recognized.

There could come a day that ZR's are so recognizable that it will be come the new icon and the classic will be well "forgotten"

So is that is what your asking which Donzi is the Icon for the 40 yrs of production. The 16 would definitely fit the criteria, For me though, the 18 2+3 is what a Donzi is!! After all Don drove one himself .

joe
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Im going to have to disagree about the Criterion being the greatest driving boats ever made. You loose sight of the horizon very quickly in these boats, same goes for the Bench seat Hornet. Someone who hasnt driven these type of boats can get introuble quick.

Scott Pearson
    President, Lake George Donzi Classic Club
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

How many years has the 18 been built?
    How many years has the 22 been built, as the classic or the Critter, or F22, in other words, the hull?

Cuda,
    the 18 has been produced in really 5 forms( barrelback,standard 18 ,x18 corsican and 18 standard with windshield )
    since 1965 not sure if there was a break in production of the 18 in the OMC the 16 was shelved long before that and OMC thought the U boats would be the new performance boat in the stable well that never happened and in 1990 the SWEET 16 made is grand comeback

the 22 started in around 79 and has been here since

wonder if some one can find out what hull number
    the next
    16 18 and 22 that come out of the factory are
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Mr. Carter; Now hold on a minute..
    If you think the Criterion is useless as far as room,
    you have never been in a Criterion SS, and the SS has twice as much room than the Criterion 11.........Ed

Well, you ain't gonna have a dance party on any of the Classics.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda
    Well, you ain't gonna have a dance party on any of the Classics.
    well it really depends on what type of dance the lounge seating in a 16 can be
    quite cozy with the ladies

Hey Ed which critter came with the service bar???

18 going twice
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Thread Information