13 2.91%
  • the Black widow

11 2.47%
  • the 38 ZR

23 5.16%
  • the 35 zr flat deck

1 0.22%
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: what has been the most significant donzi ever made?

what has been the most significant donzi ever made?

what Donzi has been the most significant Donzi ever made has far as performance,styling,mass appeal,and impact on the boating industry??
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

what about the 28 Sportsman

Scott Pearson
    President, Lake George Donzi Classic Club
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

only had 10 options and tried to get a model from each of the different eras in there

I left out the X18 too and the regazza and the levante and the medallion??

When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Hey Tom and LSU, give me support and click on the Widow! My gut tells me the classics will win this one however as we have a slightly skewed voter base. The real answer is they are all damn nice boats.

Here is a question for the group. What Donzi model was made that was an absolute flop, turkey, badegg, etc? As far as I know, there isn't one cept maybe that little jet boat and I can't count that one as I would love a little jet boat for our cabin.
    Tuco: When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.

Ski Sporter, bay-bee! It's the one that started it all.
    Randy

Of all the choices, I've got to go with the basic 18 2+3. It's been produced since the beginning and in greater numbers by far than the others and has consequently carried the Donzi name and hull / styling to more places. It's the boat that most of us saw once upon a time that fueled our desire to one day own one. It was certainly the first Donzi I looked for until the obvious advantages of it's bigger brother, the 22 C, drew me in. Gotta go with the one that opened the most eyes....wide
    real wide
    Phil

We love our Classics but I am excited about the new boats that are putting Donzi back on the map. Therefore my vote for the 38 ZR!
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

The boat that actuallu put Donzi on the map was the 16. The name Damn Donzi came from there race hertage when the 28 became the dominent race boat in hey days.
    But I will agree that the ZRs are making an impact like no other and once the movie Miami Vice hits you will be seeing more ZRS.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanghied Again
    But I will agree that the ZRs are making an impact like no other and once the movie Miami Vice hits you will be seeing more ZRS.
    Frank your crystal ball is shining bright. I know that the MV movie will help put Donzi's name out there even more than it is already. I also think all these older boats still around will become very popular and drive the value of them up.
    Tuco: When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.

About 10 years ago one of the major boating mags ... might have been M B & S ... had an article on the most significant boats ever made.
    Before I even read it I knew the Bertram 31 had to be on it .. it was. Much to my surprise (although it should'nt have been ) the original 13' Boston Whaler was there and surprise surprise THREE Aronow boats.
    One .. I can't remember / Two the Cig 28 and of course the Donzi 16.
    Phil/ remember, the 18 came long after the 16.. it was not 'produced from the begining .'
    Steve
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

The criteria was "the most significant." That can mean many things.

The 16 may have started Donzi, but it didn't carry the company and wasn't that significant: The 18 was.
    Thats why there are three types. The 233 Formula was more important than any Donzi. Its the most copied boat on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan's Cloud
    About 10 years ago one of the major boating mags ... might have been M B & S ... had an article on the most significant boats ever made.
    Before I even read it I knew the Bertram 31 had to be on it .. it was. Much to my surprise (although it should'nt have been ) the original 13' Boston Whaler was there and surprise surprise THREE Aronow boats.
    One .. I can't remember / Two the Cig 28 and of course the Donzi 16.
    Phil/ remember, the 18 came long after the 16.. it was not 'produced from the begining .'
    Steve
    the 18 sure wasn't far behind... the earliest 16 is what? late 64 / early 65 and the earliest 18 is what, late 65 maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by pmreed
    Of all the choices, I've got to go with the basic 18 2+3. It's been produced since the beginning and in greater numbers by far than the others and has consequently carried the Donzi name and hull / styling to more places. It's the boat that most of us saw once upon a time that fueled our desire to one day own one. It was certainly the first Donzi I looked for until the obvious advantages of it's bigger brother, the 22 C, drew me in. Gotta go with the one that opened the most eyes....wide
    real wide
    Phil
    I agree with you Phil,....Also, the ski sporter might have started it all, but with the significant change to the 16 2+2, it looses some of it's longevity points (in my opinion). Also, the Critter, Corsican, X's / etc were in too limited production to really influence the boating market. The new boats (ZX's) (although awesome, and definately bringing Donzi back to the forefront), haven't been around long enough to influence the market, or boating - yet, maybe in another 20 years, especially the new 27zr(?) which I think could really be the start of something big. The ZX's once again are awesome, but I'd rather look at (for the industry) a 100k boat over a 350K or more boat.

Just my humble, perhaps ignorant .02
    Wayne
    1967 Ski Sporter Bench Seat Project Boat

Tact - The ability to make a point without making an enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Formula Jr
    The criteria was "the most significant." That can mean many things.
    The 16 may have started Donzi, but it didn't carry the company and wasn't that significant: The 18 was.
    Thats why there are three types. The 233 Formula was more important than any Donzi. Its the most copied boat on earth.
    Owen,
    the criteria were stated in my first post
    "what Donzi has been the most significant Donzi ever made has far as performance,styling,mass appeal,and impact on the boating industry??

and arguement can be made for the 4 types of 18, I think all of the choices have some merit but I haven't heard a slam dunk arguement yet
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

I don't think there really can be a debate . The 16 is really what started it all . Yeah , the 18 was close behind but it was based on the 16 . Had the 18 come along first then i would have to give it the nod but it didn't . There can be arguments made about the ZR's and ZX's but I wonder where Donzi would be today if it were not for the 16.
    better to die on your feet, than live on your knees

Thread Information