Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Blue Thunder ?

Post Blue Thunder ?

Wavewalker, posted this find a couple of weeks ago. I spotted it off the Interstate headed
    into Miami this morning. I believe its a Aronow designed "Blue Thunder", a Bush 1 era drug
    enforcment boat. I really like the Uzi inspired graphics. No drives, but the one remaining tab
    is hugh. Any buyer's?

Custom graphics

After the speed of sound...

You sure that's a 39 cat????

It has been said that the boat wouldn't get out of it's own way. Anybody know anything about the performance aspect of this boat? Not much has been written about it. How many did he build?
    .........Boats are proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!

Cool

Surfer, I see you found it. Only in Miami. Reminds me of those 1980's down here with the CC cowboys and Miami Mice (Remind me to tell you about an old tee-shirt I had with the two mice on it sometime).
    This boat is more than a gelcoat buffing problem. Still looks like it would float as long as the seas were not running to big.
    John - Always looking forward to more float-time.

The Blue Thunder boats were cats built by USA Racing for the US Customs service.

I may be wrong, but that looks like one of the "Fountain Customs" boats.
    Nathan Schlaeppi
    Florida Licensed Yacht & Ship Brokerage # EBK5646
    www.madeiramarinesales.com

I am with nate. See the cut away transom. We need a picture of the nose...

I just posted it on OSO.

Get the crossover yet, Chris?
    Nathan Schlaeppi

She is not a Blue Thunder, Nate you could be right that looks like an early edition Fountain or Executioner design. The blue thunder cat looks like a Cigarette with a Tunnel.

Ahhh, I'm gonna have to go with Frank on the Executioner.
    Nathan Schlaeppi

Didn't Don take the Cigarette hull, split it down the middle and add the "bridge" to make the Blue Thunder cats? Didn't those boats leave something to be desired in the performance department??
    If you on the sho', then you sho' not me, yo.

1997 18 Classic 350 MAG/MPI Bravo -
    2004 Formula 27PC T-350 MAG/MPI Bravo III

I rode a Blue Thunder boat in 1989 while moored in Ft Lauderdale, Fla onboard the USS Coral Sea (old aircraft carrier CV-43 in it's final year). My buddy was an NIS agent and hooked us up with the local DEA.
    The Blue Thunder, as I understand it, was a patented design to run down the "Cigarette" boats transporting drugs across the Florida straights. The design, as the story goes, was designed by Don Arronow to defeat the very boats he had designed for the drug cartel lords. The very boats he had "guaranteed" could not be caught. Well we all know what happened to poor ole Donnie boy when the lords found out....so the story goes....

Anyway, the Blue Thunder could run any boat down in the rough without cutting a sweat therefore killing the over-water drug trade utilizing the powerboats. We went out in 3-5's in stand-up bolsters and the boat pummeled the waves that day and turned on a dime. Alledgedly (sp) due to it's patented design no one else could design or build a boat such as this.......Then again, that could've been smoke up my you know what...
    Rick

Not the way I understood it, but we all have our own versions.
    If you on the sho', then you sho' not me, yo.

1997 18 Classic 350 MAG/MPI Bravo -
    2004 Formula 27PC T-350 MAG/MPI Bravo III

The "Blue Blunder" was a major breakthrough in hull design. It was the first boat to have all of the bad habits of a cat and a vee in the same envelope. Twin 540's, 54 mph. What a breakthrough!
    BROWNIE

Ok gang....its a military version with a Fountain bottom, usually has Innovation 600's. Made to paracute from a cargo plane...see the brackets on the transom? I have seen many of those in Sarasota bay....with navy seals and the guys from innovation testing them. The nose will not look like a Fountain....but trust me, it is.
    "It ain't braggin if ya do it and ya back it up!"

Brownie, You have such a way with words,even my wife got a chuckle out of it....Ed

Thread Information