Thread: Possible record hamerhead caught in FL

Possible record hamerhead caught in FL

Tuco: When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.

Sounds like it might be Old Hitler. He's been reported to be spotted from Tampa Bay, to Boca Grande. He was estimated at between 14 and 17 feet.

This last winter in Feb, was my first time to south florida and the keys. Got to see stingrays and sharks in a cool marine aquarium in key west. Anytime I now hear about marine life, poker runs, big ass offshore boats, and hurricanes I'll be thinking of you guys. Very very cool to see this stuff first hand. The lil fish up here are measured in inches not feet by the way. Anything 15 feet or so swims by, we would crap our pants and get the hell off the water.
    Tuco: When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.

I was stationed at Eglin AFB in 59 that's up in the panhandle it is where I saw my only really big shark, . There was a super long fish dock in Ft, Walton Beach that went out near 1/3 of a mile and still had only 8 +or- feet of water. At quitting time a lot of the airman would go to the dock, the fishing was really good there were schools of all kinds of fish. Almost every day we would see fairly big game fish take high speed runs on fish near the beach, we were all pretty use to seeing what we thought were BIG fish. The end of the dock was 20+ feet above the water, most would hang their catches in the water on parachute cord and keep them in the alive. One afternoon a shark that looked like a bay submarine cruised up to the pilings nice and slow and then proceeded to inhale quite a few peoples catch's the Tasty treats hanging from the railings. It was like a Chinese Fire Drill people freaked some running to see and some running off the dock, never seen one like that again it was some scary!

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda
    Sounds like it might be Old Hitler. He's been reported to be spotted from Tampa Bay, to Boca Grande. He was estimated at between 14 and 17 feet.
    Funny you should mention that.
    I used to vacation on Longboat Key thru the 70's and early 80's,and I heard stories about probably the same shark.I heard he was called "Thor."

Thread Information