Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Good lifevest ideas?

Good lifevest ideas?

Since this is my first high performance boat I need to buy some good lifevests that you can wear. I have heard that some of the most expensive ones are actually worthless. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks! Sue

Sue, some will say that only a high $ racing vest with a crotch strap is reliable. Costco sells a good quality neoprene vest for $40 that costs nearly $100 anywhere else. I have 3 of these in different sizes and two older style ski vests that I keep on board. I do avoid the old cheap orange vests.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Lifeline poker run vests...

are the way to go. A ski vest of any sort and the ribbon style, CO2 blow up style are worthless in an accident, because they don't offer any rib cage or torso protection.

Classic example was the Outerlimits that spun and flipped off the coast of Grand Haven here last summer during a high speed turn at a Poker Run. One of the people thrown from the boat was never found, the other died from his adominal injuries that he received on the way out of the boat. Both were wearing the ribbon style vests, which were found floating in the water with broken straps.

I looked at a Blackhawk a couple of years back with the man's widow. The theory put together by the local police was that the boat stuffed into a crusier wake at high speed. The end result was a dead man due to injuries sustained from hitting the steering wheel and windshield.

Not pretty stories, but it happens.

Jill and I both wear Lifeline Poker Run vests with carbon insert, flak jacket material. They are light, comfortable, and safe. Another brand to consider is Mustang, which others here really like.

RTSE, I don't really disagree with you but I am an avid slalom skier and I've read that slalom skiers reach speeds over 70 MPH on a hard cut. I've taken many hard falls and a snug fitting neoprene vest does give torso protection and I've never had one tear or come close to coming off. If you're going much over 75 MPH then I agree with you 100%.

West Marine sells a nice auto-inflator for under a hundred bux.
    Randy

Roadtrip and 'Poodle are absolutely right. Get the Lifeline. You won't be disappointed.

It's also nice to be preparred when your friend gives you that 100+ mph ride in their certain X-18.

How much is your life worth? I'm guessin' WAAAAYYYY over 100 bux.

BERTRAM BOY

Best place to buy lifeline?

Thanks for all of the information. Does anybody know where the best place is to get the lifeline poker run vest? Thanks! Sue

Smile Lifelines

Here ya Go Suzy Q.... www.lifelinejackets.com

I would suggest the "High Performance Pleasure Series"

http://www.lifelinejackets.com/catal...rfjackets.html
    The Standard Jacket shown in the Upper Left Pic, in Orange starts at $315.00
    The Poker Run Edition Red Amer. Flag, which is like Poodles... is $415.00
    The Baja Style Yellow,Checkered Lower is $415.00
    The Merc Style (Black with Orange Stripes) is $365
    The V Style lower left Pic is $390.00

Colors can be changed, there are alot of standard Colors & designs available.

Sizes Run as follows on Average based on Chest Size:
    Small 30" - 36"
    Medium 36" - 42"
    Large 42" - 48"
    X Large 48" +

Special Accomadations for Large Shoulders, Belly's and or Special requirements are available for Safe and Proper Fit.

FYI all of this Series comes with the "New Stand Up " Collar Design, not the Horse Shoe style shown in the pics...per Claudia at Lifeline.

I am going to be offering some standardized versions of these Jackets...with our Atlantic Coast New Donzi Logo as seen in Lake Cumberland... I am working out the specifics currently... essentially, you will design a Jacket to Match your Boat or whatever... and the Raw Design will be shipped to us...we will have it Custom Embroidered with our Large Griffin Logo on back and a small front left Breast Logo as our shirts show... these will be way cool. And they will make our Coolers look cheap in comparison...but they will Rock when they're done.

Average Build time is currently a month out from LIfe Line for their standard Jackets... I will let ya know when I am ready to move forward with this Option...all Jackets would be purchased through Lifeline, all Custom work on our end will be coordinated with Claudia at Lifeline or Ken. Again this is very raw right now...so as it comes together...for those that are really serious about their Life Jackets... The Atlantic Coast Group will be able to provide a really cool Donzi Lifeline Vest for you and your Family or Friends to wear.

Stay Tuned

Good Luck

Doc
    Last edited by Dr. Dan; 05-25-2006 at 06:24 PM.
    Because Life Is Better When You're Wet!!!

"Yes...I see you Tennis Champion?" .... You think you own me? Oh that's right... you do own me!"

Sue, I am looking into the Stearns 4185. 100 mph impact rating and a set of four will cost you less than one standard lifeline!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BERTRAM BOY
    Roadtrip and 'Poodle are absolutely right. Get the Lifeline. You won't be disappointed.
    It's also nice to be preparred when your friend gives you that 100+ mph ride in their certain X-18.
    How much is your life worth? I'm guessin' WAAAAYYYY over 100 bux.
    BERTRAM BOY
    You bet my life is worth WAAAAAAAYYY over 100 bux, but before I spent that much money on lifevests, I wanted to make sure I was spending my money wisely (on the right type of vest). So when do I get a ride in a 100mph Donzi?

Dan, thanks again for the help. I know you mentioned lifeline vests to me before, but I really wanted some other opinions before I spent that much money. Let me know when you find out about having the vests done with the Donzi logo!
    Sue

Do you guys always wear vests when running hard? I don't wear one. I used to in my outboards which were on the ragged edge but I feel OK in the Donzi. If I get caught up in some scary water in the big lakes I'll probably put one on.

I need some advice also, I have some very nice Sterns with heavy straps etc. I am sure they are a really good vests but I find them very hot & uncomfortable having floatation in back. I had a Sterns a few years back with mesh in back and flotation only on the sides and front, to me it was a better design. You are sure to float face up in case of a miss hap and very comfortable and reasonably cool due to the mesh back. I would like to find the same quality & safety in that style vest.

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

No offense to anyone but I don't buy into the "how much is your life worth" marketing. Yes, lifelines are great vests but why is their standard vest over $300? Yes my life is priceless but I fail to see any huge benefits with the standard lifeline over other high quality $100 impact vests. This isn't rocket science!

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C
    Do you guys always wear vests when running hard? I don't wear one. I used to in my outboards which were on the ragged edge but I feel OK in the Donzi. If I get caught up in some scary water in the big lakes I'll probably put one on.
    Carl I will admit I never wear a life jacket. But last year I got caught in some nasty 3'+ chop on Lake Michigan and my brother and I got the little Unlimited up on top of that stuff and ran wide-open for a 6-7 mile stretch. We should have had some good jackets on!

I want some jackets for those occasions when I feel I am really running "on the edge"!

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawk
    No offense to anyone but I don't buy into the "how much is your life worth" marketing. Yes, lifelines are great vests but why is their standard vest over $300? Yes my life is priceless but I fail to see any huge benefits with the standard lifeline over other high quality $100 impact vests. This isn't rocket science!
    It's not the "marketing" I'm thinking of. It's buying the best protection you can get your hands on.

Thread Information