Thread: 1976 Classic 18 - Decisions/Decisions ?????

1976 Classic 18 - Decisions/Decisions ?????

Hi there, I came across a 1976 Classic 18 which to my surprise is still available after about a month. I went and had an initial look at it since the previous owner had restored it to a certain degree. I didn't see anything which really stood out as defective, there was the odd ding here and there and some spots on the bottom that had been touched up. The motor is a
    5.7 L V8 with a Volvo 280 outdrive which both from a visual aspect looked ok.
    My question is about things such as the stringer's etc which are not readily visible. Are they specific things or areas that I should l look at upon another closer inspection or should I get a "proffessional" to survey it. My best route is probably the professional but thought I'd ask anyhow.

Thanks in Advance
    Bruce

It is worth getting a survey and an engine oil analysis, stringers and transom could be just fine but it pays to check with a moisture meter.

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Bruce I used a guy in Toronto for my apprasel.NOTHING gets by him.
    He found a hairline crack 1" long, on the BOTTOM of my 1" flex wastegate line.
    PM me if you want his name..............Ed

make sure you check the gas tank.

Quote Originally Posted by nguber57
    make sure you check the gas tank.
    How do you check the gas tank?? The message I have received loud and clear from this forum is that on the older classics you need to replace the gas tank. You may replace one with significant corrosion prior to a potential deadly explosion --- good move. Or, you may remove one with little or no corrosion --- wasted effort. However, I have never heard about any method of knowing the condition of the tank prior to pulling the deck and digging the tank out. Ed
    1967 Triple Hatch 18' (sold)
    1969 Holman&Moody 18 2+3
    1982 454 TRS no windshield 22 2+3 (sold I'm an idiot)
    1997 454/Bravo 1 22 2+3
    + some less cool, more functional boats

Thread Information