Thread: alabama fishin' ; suggestions ?

alabama fishin' ; suggestions ?

i'll be trying my luck around Lake Martin and Lake Coosa (no boat) next week while in Talladega for the race.
    last year i toured the areas pretty well , i have good lake charts that show all the local roads . does anyone have a hotspot ? (promise i won't tell)
    any local knowledge , technique ?

Fishin' Bama

Look around for a State Park with a lake as well. They almost always have small boats to rent, maybe $8 or 10. Take a trolling motor and battery if you find a boat because the wind will get you . Shore fishing for bass right now would call for plastic worms, flukes and spinerbaits. If you want to go old school and sit in the shade relaxing, get some nightcrawlers or chicken livers and fish them on the bottom near downed trees or docks for catfish. Slow fishing but can be very productive. Bream will be bedding soon as well. Crickets and a canepole, use a quill and fish 1 to 3 feet deep along the shoreline. Look for the telltale platter size cleared areas, usually in groups of 5 to 50. If you get a boat and the bream are on the bed, flyfish over the beds with rubberleg bugs, starting on the outside of the beds and move slowly inward so as not to spook the whole colony.
    Good luck!
    Is it Friday yet?!?!

thanks for the reply ............
    one thing i learned about crickets is that they will chew thru a paper bag.
    just when you think you've got 'em all out of the car , another one will be climbing up your leg as you're changing lanes at 70 mph.

Thread Information