Thread: heres a shot in the dark, I need help!!

heres a shot in the dark, I need help!!

Hi everyone, as most of you know I have brought my boat back from the dead and have been restoring it (if i can call it that)ever since its been running again. I built a motor for it, placed all the new ignition, fuel filter, oil filters in one area, all new gauges, new water pump,new water intake transom pick up(thanks to forrest), new custom made water cooled headers, new interior(thanks to bob at built rite), hood scoop, bought a 275 drive with trim and tilt(thanks to MOP and al) (which i am debating on using or going a different route) and finally a trailer thanks to dan.

I have done alot of work to my boat and the last thing I need is a new 40 gallon tank. My tank has been a problem since I brought my boat back to life and it has been LONG over due to be replaced. everytime i go below half tank my fuel line clogs and it is a easy fix(blow the fuel line to unclog it). This is becoming irratible and is not really safe.

Now the reason i need help. all my years owning this boat i never had a garage or warehouse to work on it. If i had inclimate weather I had to wait till a sunny day(and warm day). To replace my tank I need a place where I can take my deck off and replace my tank without worrying about the weather. there are also other things I need to do with the baot as well while my deck is off. I need to repair the rear corner starboard side because of the boat falling off the blocks I want to fill in the disgusting cut outs that a previous owner did under neath the rear of motor cover. I need to completely rewire the entire boat so it fits to my standards (wires side by side). Buy all new stainless rub rails. build a dual battery platform on both sides. Possibly install the newer drive with trim if my other drive I have in mind falls through.

I think this gives you a pretty good idea of what i need to do. I do have a plan I just need to set it into action. I cant do any of this without a fairly large garage. I want to do it right. Then I will finally be worthy of showing up to a donzi event. Sorry, I know some of you guys are torn with me on here because I have never shown up to a big event. I dont feel moody blu is ready to be shown. Its getting there and this deck off would be the final part. its the hardest part sicne I dont have a large garage. Hell i never have had a garage.

If someone around the NJ area would be so willing to help me out on this time consuming project I would be forever in debt to you. I dont have that much money but im sure I could get a few hundred bux to give to whoever has a place for me to finsih my project. whatever I i have left is going towards fixing moody blu. I guess i can be greatful for my mechanical skills if i didnt have them my boat would still be sitting on blocks.

So I ask is there anyone out there willing to give moody blu the medical housing she needs to perform surgery?
    the only thing i would really need help with is getting the deck off and on and taking the old tank off and reinstalling the new one. I can do most of the other work by myself (with some help from the forum members). I dont want to take time away from anyone unless they would like to help.

Please let me know

thank you so much for reading

Broque
    Sincerely,
    Broque
    1971 H/M 18' classic
    351w/Volvo 250
    MTI TA trailer thanks to Dr Dan!

Yes, I have a lanyard
    N/E donzi club member
    My Space

To the top for 'ya, Moody.

I feel your pain...fortunately for me my brother has a barn that we used to hoist the deck off and swap my tank out. Just for the sake of brainstorming, have you checked into nearby rented space? Self-storage might be too pricey, and they may have usage restrictions, but maybe there is a shop, garage, or warehouse that might rent you a corner for a few months. It never hurts to ask...good luck!

Also Broque, it can be done all by yourself.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

I'm sure something will eventually materialise, at least you all have such facilities over there. If I had'nt been working outside , my (as of next month) 4 year resto would most likely be coming to an end. We just don't have those kinds of buildings sitting around empty ... I would sure like to have a hanger sort of arrangement where fussy owners could store and restore.
    How long are you willing to look for such a site ?
    I mean , if you can't find one you're going to have to bite the bullet and get started one way or the other.. inclement weather or not !
    Steve
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Moody
    check the real estate listings I am sure you'll be able to find a detached garage or barn you could rent for a year or so that's order number one
    than finding helping hands usually a case or 2 of beer and a few pizzas away

don't give people the wrong impression you might feel shy or self concious about your boat and going to a gathering but don't feel that way, I have seen people with boats they just found still dusty,people rent boats to come and see and ask questions on their resto project,people with no boats ( me on a few occassions) boats with mech problems( me on a few ocassions)
    and I have never seen or heard any donzi people put down or ridicule another person's boat, but always lend a hand ,help, encourage someone else thru their project.
    now is there some good hearted ribbing sure, I always get my chops busted about my caddilac jack seats, yeah will ya get some grief on the hoodscoop yeah but in the end it is all in fun,

seriously anyone who reads this and has not been to an event is really missing the best part of owning one of these boats the people.
    I always remember someone here saying about the owners
    when they are at an event you can never tell who sells the broom,who makes the broom, who pushes the broom, or who owns the broom company
    they are all just donzi owners.
    I had people help me and I would be willing to return that favor
    but the cost for beer and pizza just went up
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

MB: for a few hundred bucks you can get one of those instant garrages:
    "If you got the room at your house" They make some of them big enough to fit a large RV.I'm sure you could find one with enough ceiling hieght. It wouldn't be that difficult to engineer a 2x8 lifting frame with chain falls.
    a space heater and your good to go .

Check out http://www.shelterking.comthey have all kinds of sizes and prices.

joe
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

joseph, we have one of those at my shore house. but I live in northern Nj and want to be able to have the boat fairly close so I can go after work if I want to. If I cant find a place nearby I guess it coudl be a weekend only thing. but I want to have it done by spring or at least mid summer.

thanks for the replies so far, keep them coming hopefully someone has a place.

the thing im worried about with one of those pay as you go places is if theres a problem or a hold up on parts(like the tank) then I end up paying more. Right now my funds are VERY TIGHT, im on workers compensation from a back injury. I know if i had a place to house a couple boats I would let any of the board members to do their project there. I love working on projects espescially ones that are a passion.

I know you have to pay to play but im just seeing if i can keep the "pay" to a minimum so I can put more money into the boat.

I'm planning on buying a short block 408 or 501 stroker windsor. TURB056795 will be working a set of spare heads i have for the new motor. I might throw my 351w into a 93ish mustang and see what it runs in the qtr, im thinkin 11's or 12's

I cant do anything without a place to work on it.

AND of course beer and pizza will be provided for any helping hands
    Sincerely,
    Broque
    1971 H/M 18' classic
    351w/Volvo 250

Yes, I have a lanyard
    N/E donzi club member
    My Space

Well, you don't have to do anything till you get all your bits. For instance, the tank can be had from RDS for less than $400.00. If you wait, your back will probably be better too, so you can make better use of your time.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

If your off work on a Comp injury, don't let the ever sneaky investigator catch you taking the deck off with his camera lense...

JH
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

if ya have a bad back you should be looking at a z boat
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy
    if ya have a bad back you should be looking at a z boat
    Im never selling this boat unless i really need to, I want a cigarrete next to it in the future. moody blu' too

just got my cortizone shot and my back still isnt feeling much better. but im hungry as hell from it(steroid).

G carter does RDS have a website?or pics of a rds tank?
    Sincerely,
    Broque
    1971 H/M 18' classic
    351w/Volvo 250

Yes, I have a lanyard
    N/E donzi club member
    My Space

just tow her on over here.. i'll take care of the whole thing for you by spring and Turbo is close too :lookaroun

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Moody Blu'
    G carter does RDS have a website?or pics of a rds tank?
    RDS is probably the same company that built your original tank although under a different name.
    Here are some threads;
    http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...highlight=tank

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36703

There's also a thread on foam, but I can't seem to find it right now. Any questions you have, email me. I did about 99.9% of this work by myself.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Thread Information