Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New 502 in Yippy Kai Yay

New 502 in Yippy Kai Yay

4 hours on new 502. A short WOT run showed 5100 RPMs. 15"x23" Hydromotive 4 blade. I don't have a GPS, I do have a buddy that does, and soon will have speed numbers. Engine is a new GM Marine Base 502/435Hp. Roller cam upgrade to 470HP. New Revolution Marine Exhaust. Wieand Stealth Dual plane Highrise Intake. Eddie Marine cooling crossover.
    King Cobra drive.1.43:1 drive ratio.Holley 4150/850CFM carb. It's a lot stronger than the old 454HO. That engine would only turn the Hydro prop 4400 RPMs, 68MPH,light load,2 people. I could tell a lot of difference!
    Happy Thanksgiving to all,70 degrees here in Gulf Breeze,Fl. today.I took these photos this morning. I will put the boat in the water after I eat turkey and think about all you up north. The date on post photos shows Nov 11. I tried to show date 11/24/05 and messed up. I'm having Bloody Mary's while tending my turkey on the smoker. (the wife is telling me I can't take the boat out because of the Bloody Mary's)
    I would love to hear speculation on my top speed predictions.
    Once again, Happy Thanksgiving to all
    Barry Eller
    "YIPPY-KAI-YAY"
    1993 Donzi Classic 22 by Chris Craft...
    White with Yellow stripes...
    502 King Cobra...
    Its hard to be humble when you own a Donzi. (In my humble opinion).
    To hear it run...click the link below...
    http://s922.photobucket.com/albums/a...er_media_share

Damn nice looking Barry!
    My guess is 72.4 MPH on GPS
    I would ditch that prop for a 23 Mirage Plus LAB.
    Then I would bet 74.6 MPH on GPS

P.S. watch out for those UFO's up there in Gulf Breeze
    U.S.C.G. Master Captain
    "Pioneer of insane speed concepts & creations"

Barry, you've apparently gained about 100 hp from the old 454-365HO combo... that looks like the original carb setup... did you rejet the carb a little fatter to compensate for that?? what size is the carb, and what jets are in it now, versus stock?

Jim
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA
    Barry, you've apparently gained about 100 hp from the old 454-365HO combo... that looks like the original carb setup... did you re-jet the carb a little fatter to compensate for that?? what size is the carb, and what jets are in it now, versus stock?
    Jim
    Good afternoon Buizilla
    Carb is a 850/4150 Holley.
    It has not been re-jetted. However the airvents have been drilled out, it was too rich with the increased vacuum the 502 produced. My carb mech. is a anesthesiologist that happens to be a gear head. Lets me use his boat house and lift,(he doesn't want a boat,but likes me and my Donzi). Who knows more about gas mixtures than a GASPASSER. He has a 1968 Mustang GT 427CID /4 two barrel Weber's that he drag races.
    After a few more hours break-in, water pump impeller will come out and we will run a dry exhaust O2 sensor reading and get it perfect.
    "YIPPY-KAI-YAY"
    502 King Cobra...

Did he drill all 8 air bleeds, or just the 4 idle air bleeds?? if he did all 8 then it's maybe too lean up top under load, even more so if it still has the stock HO jetting...

just trying to help...

Jim
    1955 Perfect Mate

www.donzi.org

Thanks for your reply,
    So far only the idle bleeds, until we take a O2 reading and a few WOT runs, take a few spark plug visuals, we will go from there. Tell me what you think we need to do. Any advise is appreciated.
    "YIPPY-KAI-YAY"
    502 King Cobra...

PM me with the stock jetting numbers, and what's in there now. Are you using Denso or NGK plugs? stock or MSD electric's?

JH
    1955 Perfect Mate

www.donzi.org

Stock settings. I don't know what the Dr. drilled the idle bleeds to. Just enough to get it to idle. Will know more as we test. Anyway it responds better now than ever. Nothing else had been changed. I have always had a problem with engine running too rich, smoot on transom and fouling plugs.Now with only opening the idle circuit a great improvement. No Problem with plugs, idles great, and turns 700 more RPMs and is so much more powerful in all aspects. GPS numbers soon.
    "YIPPY-KAI-YAY"
    502 King Cobra...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Eller
    Mr. X
    Thanks for your reply. I have 100 more HP and 50 Cid, better intake and exhaust. You think only a 4MPH gain? I hope for more. I hear MOP knows a thing or two about props, I have a OMC King Cobra drive. I don't think Mercury splines will match. Does Volvo and OMC have the same splines? My drive is the big OMC drive rated for 650 HP and who knows torque rating. Do you think I could use more pitch? I like the handling of the Hydromotive props.
    Of course the centers can be pressed out and matched with any prop,so I'm open for sugestions. Untill I get true speed readings@ ?RPMS I am open for sugestions.
    Thanks
    BSE
    The Mercury props will fit just about anything, with the correct interchangeable flo-torque hub. No pressing needed.
    U.S.C.G. Master Captain

Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA
    PM me with the stock jetting numbers, and what's in there now. Are you using Denso or NGK plugs? stock or MSD electric's?
    JH
    Excuse me, Delco MR43T, Stock OMC BID ignition.
    "YIPPY-KAI-YAY"
    502 King Cobra...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr X
    The Mercury props will fit just about anything, with the correct interchangeable flo-torque hub. No pressing needed.
    Thanks,
    Now I need to find someone with a prop I can try. Don't you like Hydromotive props? Why?
    "YIPPY-KAI-YAY"
    502 King Cobra...

Thanks,
    Now I need to find someone with a prop I can try. Don't you like Hydromotive props? Why?
    Not really, they are just slower.......good for crusing but not for top end speed.
    U.S.C.G. Master Captain

Get yourself a 25 pitch Turbo 1, works well with the King Cobra drive. After it's broken in, you should easily see 75mph with your new 502.
    Rated 'R'
    Raw Rowdy & Rockin

4 hours on new 502. A short WOT run showed 5100 RPMs. 15"x23" Hydromotive 4 blade. I don't have a GPS, I do have a buddy that does, and soon will have speed numbers. Engine is a new GM Marine Base 502/435Hp. Roller cam upgrade to 470HP. New Revolution Marine Exhaust. Wieland Stealth Dual plane Highrise Intake. Eddie Marine cooling crossover.
    King Cobra drive.1.43:1 drive ratio.Holley 4150/850CFM carb. It's a lot stronger than the old 454HO. That engine would only turn the Hydro prop 4400 RPMs, 68MPH,light load,2 people. I could tell a lot of difference!
    Happy Thanksgiving to all,70 degrees here in Gulf Breeze,Fl. today.I took these photos this morning. I will put the boat in the water after I eat turkey and think about all you up north. The date on post photos shows Nov 11. I tried to show date 11/24/05 and messed up. I'm having Bloody Mary's while tending my turkey on the smoker. (the wife is telling me I can't take the boat out because of the Bloody Mary's)
    I would love to here speculation on my top speed predictions.
    Once again, Happy Thanksgiving to all
    Barry Eller
    YKYFM looks cleaner since the last time I saw her! Sounds like you're getting things fine tuned with the new power plant. Looking forward to hearing her at WOT. You and Zimm17 are making me look bad. I may be the only 22 on the bay without any new bling. I need to get stared on that Alpha to Bravo/IMCO shorty swap.
    Thursday was great boating weather! I got into the Wild Turkey and Coke too much while deep frying the bird so we didn't make it out either. The bay stayed fairly flat considering the wind.
    Speed prediction? Im running 73 MPH GPS with a POS cleaver and 45 less HP so I'll say 76-77 with the right prop.
    Let me know when its time to run again.
    Dan

1 Year Later...

The 502 in YIPPY-KAI-YAY is still running strong. I just upgraded the old OMC ignition system and replaced the engine wiriring harness. The ignition is MSD.
    A new Pro-Billet Distributor, MSD 6M-2 Marine Ignition Control, MSD Blaster Coil, and MSD Plug wires. Idle is great, soot is gone, sparkplugs don't foul in the "NO WAKE" zones.
    I have 2 OMC Coil/Modules and a OMC distributor if anyone needs them.
    Here is a video, flushing after a run.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...52684659693491
    "YIPPY-KAI-YAY"
    502 King Cobra...

Thread Information