Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Magnum 27 Sport

Magnum 27 Sport

Im looking for an original blue (tinted) windscreen for the magnum sport 27. Any info. / leads apperciated.

I had to build an OEM type windshield for my Magnum 27 Sport since I could not find anyone who had the original tooling. American Marine Products in Ft. Lauderdale built the 27 Sport windshields for Magnum Marine way back then, but they no longer have the tooling. FWIW, their number is 954-782-1400. The contact there is Jerry Avery or Bob Sullivan, but I'm sure that they will tell you the same thing that they told me.

I built windshield in five pieces (rather than three like the original) out of smoke color 1/4" Lexan. To make the bends, I slowly heated the pieces in an oven to no more than 140-degrees F, formed it around a two-inch pipe, and then carefully trimed it to fit. Plan on screwing up a few pieces before you get a good pair of bends that you can use.

The light blue acrylic or Lexan may be impossible to find these days, but who knows until you look for it.

Forrest, do you have any more pics of your Magnum that you could post or send.

THX
    Sam

Thanks for the info. I may have to look into that. I've got a medium size crack in the prot side area not on the front, but the glass on the side where it only stands 3-4 inches high or so, its the original windshield so I would really like to hang on to it. Wonder if I can "mend" it some way, any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest
    I had to build an OEM type windshield for my Magnum 27 Sport since I could not find anyone who had the original tooling. American Marine Products in Ft. Lauderdale built the 27 Sport windshields for Magnum Marine way back then, but they no longer have the tooling. FWIW, their number is 954-782-1400. The contact there is Jerry Avery or Bob Sullivan, but I'm sure that they will tell you the same thing that they told me.

I built windshield in five pieces (rather than three like the original) out of smoke color 1/4" Lexan. To make the bends, I slowly heated the pieces in an oven to no more than 140-degrees F, formed it around a two-inch pipe, and then carefully trimed it to fit. Plan on screwing up a few pieces before you get a good pair of bends that you can use.

The light blue acrylic or Lexan may be impossible to find these days, but who knows until you look for it.

I don't know about mending it, but if you still have the original, you are way ahead of the game. One thing that the folks at American Marine Products did tell me is that they could easily build a new windshield if the old windshield was available to be used as a template. I didn't havethe old windshield. You may want to give them a call. Building the windshiled had to be the single most difficult DYI item on my Magnum restoration. If I could have, I would have much rather subed it out to someone who knows what they are doing than doing it myself.

Forrest did you put an anchor locker on your bow?
    Also what kind of speed are you getting top end w/ the 383's?
    ive got same cubic, with about 400 hp per side, just curious

Talking

Forrest, what a pretty boat you have!!!

I'm impressed!
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

I think those DPX's look killer on there.

We are going to the panhandle this weekend to Panama City to watch the boat races.

Quote Originally Posted by myfinancialadviser
    Forrest did you put an anchor locker on your bow?
    Also what kind of speed are you getting top end w/ the 383's?
    ive got same cubic, with about 400 hp per side, just curious
    That little stainless-steel anchor line hatch was there when I bought the boat; however, I think the it was original since I seen it on a couple of other Magnum. For the most part, it fairly useless. Also, before I bought the boat, mine used to have the original plexi-glass "bubble turret" vent/hatch ( as seen in the Magnum 27 Sport literature) where the square hatch is now. I looked high and low for a replacement turret but with no luck, so I ended up putting in a standard generic hatch.

The 383s for my Magnum that I built, dyno on the PC (Performance Trends Engine Analyzer v3.2) at 365 HP @ 5500 RPM and and right at 400ft/lb torque @ 4000RPM. I'm running "E2" props on the DPX drives with 1.59:1 a gear ratio and only turning 4700 RPM at just over 70 MPH. E2 is the lowest pitch prop available for the DPX drive, so the next step is to send them off to good prop shop for some tweaking in order get me in over 5000 RPM. Otherwise I'll need to change the gear ratio, but that is unbelievably expensive on the DPX drives and for that reason, I don't see that happening. All and all, the DPX drives have transformed this Magnum 27 into an entirely new boat. This Magnum has seen drastic improvements in performance and handling, from the DPX drives over the original Volvo 280T drives, from idle to top-end with improved fuel economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda
    I think those DPX's look killer on there.

We are going to the panhandle this weekend to Panama City to watch the boat races.
    If I can get the hydraulic steering bled out and it runs ok, look for the black Magnum in Panama City on the race coarse. Hopefully this will be it's debue
    Travis
    Pirate Racing team
    P5-21

Quote Originally Posted by magnum27
    If I can get the hydraulic steering bled out and it runs ok, look for the black Magnum in Panama City on the race coarse. Hopefully this will be it's debue
    Travis
    Pirate Racing team
    P5-21
    Congrats Travis! We'll be pullin' for you.

Now get that steering bled!!!

Forrest,
    Believe it or not a friend of the family has an original mold for the windscreen, has had it for like 30 years, dont know how or any details yet, going to see him later in the week.
    and yes, orange and white is mine. "old school" was just vinyl, no longer on there, having whole boat wheeled out.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by myfinancialadviser
    . . . an original mold for the windscreen, has had it for like 30 years . . .
    Unbelievable! Fantasitc! Priceless!

Please keep us Magnum folks up on this.

I still can't get over it . . . the original windscreen mold . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest
    That little stainless-steel anchor line hatch was there when I bought the boat; however, I think the it was original since I seen it on a couple of other Magnum. For the most part, it fairly useless. .

That looks like the same thing that Brownie put on the Novas. I had not seen them on anything else. Didn't know that they might have been "off the rack".

Beautiful Magnum.
    24' Nova Sprint 1971
    You are what you drive!

MFA Forrest
    Anything ever come of this windscreen mold?
    Parnell
    Time forSweet Cheekz to find a new home

Thread Information