Thread: Verizon DSL???

Verizon DSL???

I keep losing my connection after about 5 mins. Cant figure out why. The PUD did do some work cutting phone lines to my house in the process. Verizon repaired the damage, so I'm trying to figure this out. They say the lines are good so they will not send anybody out. Done their tech support and set everything per instructions given. Could we have missed something???? I'm hating computers when the PUD cut the lines I lost power for a few minutes. The surge damaged my monitor on my lap-top so I cant use it. I'm getting annoyed with re-booting every time the connection is lost!!!!

Thanks for any help offered

Your DSL modem might have taken a hit during the power surge also. Instead of rebooting computer, try just unplugging the modem for a few minutes and then plug it back in. If you using windows XP, it makes the process of reestablishing a network connection much easier. If you are on Win 98/95/ME reboot is your best bet. You will need to check your router if you are using one of those also. May as well check your NIC card too. Any of these things will make DSL not work if they are acting up/intermittent. IPCONFIG from a dos window will tell you what's happening but that is another story and kinda long to describe here. IPCONFIG /? will tell you how to use this dos command.

You didn't mention if you have a wireless LAN set up at your house. If his is the case, try plugging your network cable from your nic directly to the ethernet port on your dsl modem, and see if the problem persists. This will at least take that variable out of the loop. You can try the same thing if you are running more than one computer using a hub. Just use 1 machine directly to the modem, and see how you do. Good luck.
    Got Criterion?

The one thing we did not do with tech support, unplug the modem, seems to be working. At least I've lasted the longest today so far online.

Thanks I was about to shoot my computer!!!!

Glad to hear it's working better. Remember that the computer stuff in your house is not industrial rated. You can be sure it will screw up from time to time and that includes locking up/quit working. Cycling power seems to work lots of times. Kinda like Microsoft and their 3 finger salute.... Ctrl/Alt/Del to restart a computer after it locks up. A new DSL modem goes for around 70 bucks buy the way or the monthly rental charge is 3 bucks a month in Minnesta from our DSL companies. You may want to have your DSL company swap out modems with a new one if you are renting yours.

Thread Information