Quote Originally Posted by MadPoodle
    G,
    do you have an auto-retract module??
    No, standard Bennett refurb pump.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Exclamation

George just got back from an out of towner was thinking of what you told me happened!!!! Try this back on the hydraulic unit right near where the cable goes in you will find a grease fitting, this fitting is used to grease the shuttle vavle in the power steering. If the shuttle valve is the least sticky it will cause what you have discribed. Give it two shot with a grease gun and try it out, I remembered this happening many years back to one of my customers. Sorry for taking so long to think of it it comes woth the territory my brain is in now!@

The fitting in on the unit its self!!!!

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Talking

Phil, my PS unit is new, and come to think of it, I don't think I've greased it.
    Thanks for the reccomendation.

George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

I'm staying open minded. I need to fix this thing.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

George give it a couple of shots with the gun, make sure it ozzes out of the assemlby then ocilate the steering wheel back and forth a dozen or so times. Standing with the hatch open you should be able to see the cable move from side to side about 7/8" that moves the shuttle vavle to direct the pressure to the direction needed. Bet you a 6 that that fixes it.

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

I owned a MINK for a little over 3 yrs, and had the same thing happen, one time ,,,,,,, never happened again .......

As I remember, it scared the heck out of me, however my copilot thought it was pretty cool ......... I shut it down before we went all the way over ,,,,,, or at least that's where I thought we were heading ..............

I traced it back many times with my super intelect like a CSI detective and figured this one out ............ I'd been running all day ,,,,,,,,, Flawless, trying to race anybody around, you know ................ After a while of this I Flew her back to a cove to refresh the bodily fluids ............. While there, saw a friend of mine on another boat ............. He spotted me coming in ........ This was before Cell Phone's and stuff ........ So he was yelling for me to come pick him up for a run .......... It was hard to understand from that distance and all the boom boxes going ........ So he dives in and starts heading over, which looked to be a quarter mile swim ............ So anyway he finally gets there ,,,,,,,,,,, Hangs on the transom for a while to gain strength ...... He knows getting aboard that boat is a little tricky ............... No platform ........... only (TABS) and outdrive to stand and/or thrust off to get in ............ I always told people to stay off the tabs, and they always said they did ........... But this time, Tarzan was out of breath and cheated ............. He stood on the right tab for a while before thrusting off to get in .............. So anyway,,,,, He finally gets in and we take off right now like ............... I nailed it and felt a little out of CG at first but nothing to worry about, just accelerate through it Right ...... NOT !!!!!! She rolled so fast to the left that I nearly froze ........ I mean all the way over, the water was only inches from me ....... But,I cut the power and saved us .................. I looked over at TARZAN ..... He Grinning from ear to ear,,,, Like he'd just done Jane ........ I said Dude ,,,,,, were you standing on the tap .............. NooooooooP !!!!!!!!!!! But I think he was ......... Anyway I jumped in to chek it out but looked normal ,,,,,,,,,, Never had the problem again ............... No real proof that it was a tab ,,,,,,, but I think it was in this case ....................... Good Luck ........

Well, I'm leaning toward the stbd trim tab (pun intended), because there doesn't seem to be anything else wrong.
    This is what I've found and done;
    Replaced 3/8" bottom mount bolts with 7/16" w/ jam nuts.
    Put jam nuts (with blue thread locker) on top of mount studs.
    Tightened up EVERYTHING I found loose. The shift bracket was about to fall off the riser, resecured it w/ blue thread locker.
    Gimbal bearing is very smooth and well greased.
    Alignment is good. No trouble inserting tool.
    U-joints are smooth and tight, and now VERY well greased.
    Removed some Lake Cumberland wood from my SST Gaffrig Speedo pickup, I guess I wasn't aware Gaffrig was into bathing suits, but since they can no longer make good gauges, I guess they have to do something for income.
    Tomorrow i'll put the drive back on and test drive it w/ the tab fuse removed.
    I'll order a new Carling switch next for the stbd tab.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Did I mention these are Victory tabs?
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Did you get the handling problem solved?

Hey carter is the jury still out on this one...just curious as to what the problem was?

Talking Hmmmmm.....

Hi Rick;
    So far I've found nothing concerning the engine alignment, or mounts, steering, gimbal bearing, U-joints, ETC.
    So I guess the only thing that leaves is tabs.
    The tab switches are new Carling waterproof rockers, but the problem may be there. In the mean time I'm going to pull the tab fuse, but I'm going to replace the stbd switch w/ a new one.
    Another thing is I don't believe I ever bled the air out of the hydraulic lines. These tabs operate on such low pressure that they operate fine, but I'll bleed them this weekend.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

.[/QUOTE]

George: with all this mystery going on you probably have your mind and hands full. my minxs is comming along very nicley. and with the exception of a few panel switch rockers and electrical connections. she,s pretty much ready for a run. I was wondering about the engine cover hindges. do you now where i could get new replacment ones . i've only been able to find 2 hole one's and i,m also afraid they're not the right kind.

joe

ps: what about the trim tab on your out drive? is it positioned correctly
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Quote Originally Posted by joseph m. hahnl
    George: with all this mystery going on you probably have your mind and hands full. my minxs is comming along very nicley. and with the exception of a few panel switch rockers and electrical connections. she,s pretty much ready for a run. I was wondering about the engine cover hindges. do you now where i could get new replacment ones . i've only been able to find 2 hole one's and i,m also afraid they're not the right kind.

joe

ps: what about the trim tab on your out drive? is it positioned correctly[/QUOTE]
    Hi Joe, I don't have a tab on the drive. There's constant right steering torque.
    I found a plater in Orlando, and I'm taking the hinges and lifting rings, and trim rings in on Monday. He said one week turnaround. I'll keep you posted.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Talking

Elaine and I took the Minx out in the early afternoon. We had about 1/2 hour of boating w/ the tab fuse removed before it started raining. We had no incidents at all.
    Next week I'll order a new Carling tab switch.
    I had to use the old Quicksilver 23" cleaver the boat came with. It's a nasty looking prop. I'm finding out how important overall prop condition is as the boat still won't rev over 4500 RPM.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

George,

Was that the final diagnosis on your trim problem? a shorted switch? Suwanee River today with no problems?

Just curious, hoping every one gets there bugs worked out
    Wayne
    1967 Ski Sporter Bench Seat Project Boat

Tact - The ability to make a point without making an enemy.

Thread Information