Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Minx handling problems....

Quote Originally Posted by bgagne View Post
    What did you end up finding on this? I am having a similar issue with my minx.
    I had borrowed a labbed 25" cleaver prop from a friend. The prop was the problem, and then only in heavily loaded
    conditions.
    After I located a Hydro Q4 15-1/2" X 22" prop, the issue never repeated itself.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Ah, finally closure after 11 years!
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

That is unfortunate. I was hoping that you found something else. I have the issue with 2 different props, 21 merc mirage and 23 hydro QIV. Need to spend some more time running it to quantify exact scenario, but it seems that if I run it up over 55mph, then slow down (backing off throttle slowly) as the boat settles back into water under 30 mph, it wants to lean completely over to starboard. This is with no tab. you have to turn out of it to port to stop it or deploy tab to bring the port bow down. it is very unsettling to say the least. I will start a new post and lay out my short history with the boat and see what thoughts evolve. it has been a frustrating experience with this boat so far. I previously had a 22c that I put 300 hours on over 7 years and know how to handle a boat. I knew that the minx would be different but did not expect this.

I've mentioned this before on a different thread a long time ago , but when I finally re-launched my St T after a complete re-build and re-power I was shocked at how awful the handling was with a new Volvo SX-A unit . It was basically undriveable .
    I got in contact with Randy (Big Grizz) at that point as he was THE go to guy for prop issues and he sent me a prop to try that he was sure would fix the problem . No improvement at all , and by the way , that prop did have design similarities to the Hydromotive props.

I finally bit the bullet and changed out to a DP drive and what a difference.

That's when it dawned on me , after decades of messing around in many different boats , that we don't realize it but these things are fighting prop torque all the time and some manifest the problem very differently .

Of course , changing out an Alpha to a twin prop unit isn't possible but just thought I'd mention it .
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

I think I remember some reaction like that but not like you're stating.
    You may have noticed the Minx's inner strakes are much shorter than
    an 18, or 22. It could be the lack of lift on the shorter strakes is the culprit.
    Of course planning ahead a little will always help.
    One thing the Hydro did was to really stabilize the boat.
    I could trim it almost to the limit switch w/out blowing out. I suppose
    any Minx would perform similarly. The boat benefited from the higher
    trim in performance.
    Just a thought, if your boat will trim higher like mine did, and you chop
    your throttle, the prop torque would not be in the same axis as the boat.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Thread Information