Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1967 Triple Hatch

1967 Triple Hatch

A friend has a 1967 Donzi 2+3 Triple Hatch with New rebuilt 289. The color is Green & Red with a new Eagle Trailer. I am trying to get a picture from him to post.
    He would like to get 10,000.00 for everything. Boat is located in Ventnor, NJ

Thanks!
    Mike

Sorry for the "un-initiated" question, but I am unfamiliar with a Triple Hatch 2+3.

Can you tell me more about the boat, length, is the outdrive Volvo 270, etc?

Thank you.

early barrelback 18 classic. bout the first 90 - 100 built were the "triple hatch" then changed to a single piece hatch. Center removable section and two hatches opening in a plane 90 degrees to current hatch opening.

the boat has a sharp keel , fully straked bottom and the arched transom top...

Thank you for the info. I have a 32" wood gas engine (K&B) Deep V, Inboard that I played around with full versus partial length inner strakes. The model ran better with the inner strakes stopping about 2/3rds back from the bow.

Did those run flatter (bow down) than the later models?

N2O, the key here is the strakes at the transom, not the bow. The boat will run higher in the rear with full length strakes as the water being about 10 times it's original dynamic lifts the boat up in rear. Think of holding onto a running fire hose. That force against you is now pushing the bottom of the hull UP. The bow strake location has little to do with the boat once running fast other than to pop-it-up in the event of a wave. That area assists in going from idle to plane in most cases as it never sees the water again to create a desired effect unless it comes in contact with the liquid medium once again.

i reckon we'll see how much effect a shorter inner strake has on a barrelback within the next year or so

Whatcha makin' JR?

Frank
    Triple Hatch.
    It's a classic Donzi, not a Donzi Classic.

I believe it has a 270 outdrive....it is 18'....I seen the boat when I bought my 66 Sweetness off of him! Ithink it has all original gel.

Quote Originally Posted by penbroke
    Whatcha makin' JR?

Frank
    nothing but chaos

btw, if it is a triple hatch it should be a 66 or earlier i believe...

Sorry about the lack of clarity during my first post, where I was talking about the running characteristics of the wooden, Deep-V gas powered inboard model. Being an inboard, it was virtually untrimmable, so the running angle was very much affected by inner strake length.

When I ran the boat with the inner strakes stopping short of the transom, it caused the stern to run a little deeper in the water, which had the effect of running a little bow high. This actually gave it less wetted running surface, so it ran faster.

When it was running with the inner strakes going all the way to the transom, the additional lifting surface provided by the inner strakes did in fact lift the transom. In this case, that made the boat run slower, because it ran "flat" much like an inboard ski boat, with more wetted running surface.

I will try an attachment I sketched showing this.

Back around 1984, in between Donzis, I used to run a 16 Laser (Roark Summerford early boat, before he changed the company name to STV) with a 200hp Evinrude (transom jack, foot throttle, trim buttons in steering wheel, bullet lower unit, and even a cockpit cover like the old MG's used to have with a cutout so I could drive the boat with the cover on). The best I got on radar was 87 mph. One of the reasons it ran so well was a notched transom and a flat pad along the keel that was about 7" wide. When trimmed out, the boat would run on about the last foot of the bottom.

I was just curious as to how the triple hatch would run, as most deep-Vs I have seen don't have inner strakes running all the way back to the transom.

hmmmmmm maybe you could expand on that madpoodle..

can you please post some pics......

Quote Originally Posted by Rootsy
    hmmmmmm maybe you could expand on that madpoodle..
    Please, do tell...

Frank :lookaroun
    Triple Hatch.
    It's a classic Donzi, not a Donzi Classic.

Is this boat all green?? Did it come from Cincinnati?
    Jerry from Cincinnati

All green with red stripe! I do not think it came from Cin. I was trying to get a hold of him this week so I can get pictures!

Thread Information