Thread: 1968 Classic 18 Ad

1968 Classic 18 Ad

When you do a search online, is there a way to tell how current links are when you go to them. I don't know if this is a current ad, or some ancient history Google found when searching.

Anyway, interesting Classic. http://www.g1d.com/myboatforsale/boat_donzi.html

Another Bill S

Here's another cool boat; 1969 18 2+3, big block V-Drive.

http://www.carolina-classic-boats.co...sp?boat_id=118#

That's cool! A barrel back in light blue. I hadn't noticed the difference in the bottom before either. No round keel like my 69 had. Hydraulic steering done from the inside vs outside keeps the transom clean.

A 454 V-drive 18' Classic...... OK Bill, u can stop now! LOL
    Scott Boldt

Being a new person to the board, I have seen a few instances where people posted links to other Donzis for sale. I don't want to misuse this section of the site. If this isn't appropriate, let me know.

I thought the V-drive was interesting. Could you tell me any performance information about them? I have only seen one "in person" while I was living in Texas 1980 - 1982. There was a light blue 18, with a small block in it, but I never saw it do anything but idle around. How do they run?

--------V-drives;

--------Lots of fun and different. There are pluses. There are also downsides. The angle of the shaft and prop do two things.
    --------1, Lots of hull in the water, therefore they tend to turn on a dime.
    --------2. Lots of wetted hull so top speed is compromised. You have to throw a bunch of horsies at a V-drive 18 to get it over 60mph. Obviously, no trim.
    --------3, They sit very deep to the bottom of the rudder and one has to be very careful about depth of H20. If you happen to hit something there is obviously no ability to kick up as with any outdrive. Im often surprized that I have never heard of a rudder being ripped completely off a transom. I have heard of bent shafts and, of course, mangled props.
    --------4, Slow speed manuvering is a trip. Takes awhile to pick up on it. Bow-thruster would be nice. LOL. Hope this drivel helps................No.1 Bill S....if only by age!!!!!

Thanks for the response. I know with ski boats, unless they have enormous amounts of power, you can hardly get one to run over 50 mph, and they have a very shallow deadrise at the transom. My experience is that it takes more horsepower to get a deep-V to go the same top speed as a shallower hull.

Do these boats break 50 mph?

Bill S #2, by calendar 49, by board membership 2 weeks.

Just my sneaking suspicion...

Quote Originally Posted by Just Say N20
    When you do a search online, is there a way to tell how current links are when you go to them. I don't know if this is a current ad, or some ancient history Google found when searching.
    The boat in the ad bears a striking resemblance to one owned by a registry member by the name of "vonkamp." You can see his '68 Barrelback on post #26 of this thread.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...ght=18+classic

In my estimation it would seem the ad is indeed an ancient internet holdover.

Hansel

I think we have a winner!

:checkered I believe you are right. Even the trailer would support your conclusion. Tight board, with great knowledge of each other's boats.

Thread Information