Thread: Time to Say Thanks- Take a Wounded Vet Fishing

Time to Say Thanks- Take a Wounded Vet Fishing

I found this thread on Fla Sportsman and was overwhelmed with the idea. I signed on for my local (West Central Fla group), and thought I would post it here to see if anyone would also want to do something good for those who have given so much to keep us safe. A day on the water fishing is a small price to pay IMHO, and the very least we can do.

Here is a quote form the guy who started the thread. I will put two links also, one for the main page where the main thread is located, and the second is to a page that will allow you to find a more regionally specific link (like mine in the West Central fla area)

I've been working with a local East Texas Guide Association and the Dallas VA Hospital to furnish free fishing trips for wounded veterans of the Iraq/ Afganistan War.
    The Dallas group has been very receptive and I am to talk with the Director of Social Services at the VA Hospital in Tampa tomorrow.
    I will be tarpon fishing the Cape Coral area 20May to 20 June and plan to take several vets in rehab on trips.

I there is a need for more trips than I can handle, would some of you fellers consider volunteering a day on the water with one(two) of these young men?

Some type of overnight lodging might be required in a few cases, and there is the very REAL POSSIBILITY that a few of the guys will have to be lifted into the boat.

I will work with the physical therapy department and nurses' services to insure that these guys can physically endure a trip and that there is no liability on the part of the volunteer.

All of this will be a totally free service and NO money will change hands.

If approved, could I depend on some of you boys coming through?

This post was pre-approved by a moderator..
    Flortida Sportsman Link

Main page- scroll down for your area
    "Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

SEADOGs TampaBay
    SEADOG Outlaws- George is our king, all hail King George!!!

Great Idea Fish
    Capt. D.J. "Jefe" Reid -- RIP Big Grizz..and MOM
    '98 30ZF - Jefe's Revenge, '07 250 E-Tecs
    Founder/Co-Captain (South Region) - Donzi RED Bikini Crew
    "Revenge is a Dish Best Served...Wet"
    www.facebook.com/Team.Jefe

Thread Information