Thread: Need help with restoring a 1966 Donzi St Tropez

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Need help with restoring a 1966 Donzi St Tropez

I need some help with pictures or any information on a 1966 Donzi St Tropez. I found one that has been completely disassembled and I am in the process of restoring this classic. I am in need of pictures of the center console and flooring area. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hey donzitoy, welcome to the donzi registry. I see you are not too far away in Orlando. there are actually a lot of donzi's in and around you area. If you even feel like bringing your boat to a get together, or just coming and hi9nging out (there are always open seats), keep an eye out for posts that say SEADOGS (south east area donzi owners group).

anyway, here are a couplf of pics for ya. post some of your boat when you get a chance, we would love to see them.

fish
    "Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

SEADOGs TampaBay
    SEADOG Outlaws- George is our king, all hail King George!!!

also, here is a thread you might want to check out.

fish

St. Tropez Thread
    "Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

SEADOGs TampaBay
    SEADOG Outlaws- George is our king, all hail King George!!!

Thanks for the info to get me started.

fishboy, thanks for the info to get me started. I am presently digging this boat out. I have attached some pictures to show how it is all beginning. I have some decisions to make like if I want to repower the boat. It's a big project but one I will enjoy. Keep the information coming.

Hey Donzitoy

There are only a few of us on here .. I have been restoring my '66 St Tropez for 3 years now... Am just about at the painting stage (after we make the new cutout in the transom)

It's kind of hard to tell in the photo , but something looks different about your cockpit sole. The engine area looks correct, even though the floor insert for the engine box is removed, but the floor looks like it's missing the large removable insert that the console and lazarette hatch fit in.
    Like maybe work has been done to the floor unit already ? ?

What are your plans here ... be warned, you're going to have to do the forward tank if all is original !

Steve
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Hey Steve,
    I am in the process of digging this boat out. I am not sure what all has been done other than a new tank has been put in and there are sections of the floor on the ground next to the boat. I am looking for pictures to find out what is missing. The bottom of the hull has been completely redone and painted and that is where the project stopped about 3 years ago. The engine and outdrive are in a shed and from what I understand the lower unit has a hole in it. I am deciding on if I am going to repower the boat with a merc or stay original. This will probably sound like a dumb question but what is the large removable insert that the console and lazarette hatch fit in that you refered to? The center console is intact I just did not take a picture of it yet. Here is a picture of the motor and outdrive. Are you redoing your transom for a new power unit or was there other issues?
    Any and all help is appreciated.

Mike

Hi Mike ,

As you know these are OLD boats .
    I had gotten a good 17 years out of mine (bought it 'in' in '87).
    Looking back now there was many issues although it was basically just two that started me out on the massive effort this has become.The forward fuel tank was no good from day one (running around with a V8 and a 24 gallon tank gets tedious after a while) and I did'nt want to cut the boat up to get to it. Secondly it allowed me to re-core the cockpit sole at the same time as there were cracks in the floor on either side of the console. The powerplant was getting a bit shaky.. although the Ford 351 served me well all the 'black stuff' behind it called out for constant maintenance so the whole transom was redone also to accept new Volvo power. I definitely think I caught it in time as there was numerous other things I have discovered along the way. Board member 'Sierra' is also nearing completion of his St Tropez resto , so you might hear from him as well.

With the console removed I should be able to see a large square cutout in the panel it sits in that in turn mounts into the floor. There will be another large square cutout in front of that one for the lazarette hatch that accesses storage under the floor in front of the console.

You say there is a new tank .. do you mean the rear tank (the one that fits under the console) or the front tank.. (obscured under the floor/bow storage area) ?

Mine had over the years developed two deflections in the hull bottom about 18" forward of the transom on the strakes that run full length. Like accidental 'hooks' they had to be fixed. There was also structural fractures in the glass in these areas.. like I said, two issues led to MANY !

As far as wondering what you have in terms of 'pieces' .....
    if you consider the boat ..(hull,innerlinerfloor,deck) as ONE piece , but is completely gutted, you should have another 12 pieces on hand. I did'nt include the cover that goes on the front of the console that accesses the instruments/steering as it is not a fiberglass piece. Does this sound like what you have ?

You can only imagine how many good times lie ahead of you
    Steve
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Thread Information