Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: First Donzi ever built?

My early '66 18 was built with the Eaton 289 Interceptor.

Frank
    Triple Hatch.
    It's a classic Donzi, not a Donzi Classic.

looking at the spec sheets in the model list for the 66 16 the
    volvo 110 hp motor and drive was the only power option,and for the 18 a 200 hp interceptor was the option, i know it's an early hull wish we had a hull number???
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

The Jax showboat was a 16'. It was THE FIRST production Donzi. Buizilla, I'm 69. Kiekhaefer's troops tried to bribe me to stop at the lake (X) on the way home for a gander at the new Volvo 200 drive. No dice. We built a s**tload of of 16's in '65.
    BROWNIE

According to the owner, and his conversations with Allan Brown, the first few boats had no hull numbers. They were too busy building them. Apparently there were several prototypes that they used to perfect the molds, but this one of the first) production boats. Mr. Brown can probably provide more details and correct me if I am incorrect. My understanding is that the first few had something written in magic marker under the foredeck (?) As far as being the only 1965 model- I don't know the details. Anyway, I am going to do my best to get this boat down to the proposed gulf coast rally in the spring. I need to pull up the Seadogs calendar and get that moving! Thanks, Ben

Ben,
    the hull number was written in black marker and was usually found on the back side of the dash , up by the bow eye , sometimes back by the back seat if the boat is local grab a flash light and take a look,
    Last edited by mattyboy; 01-19-2005 at 11:02 AM.
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Apollo,

Benny called me on the phone and told me much the same info your relating here I believe last summer or the summer before. I thought I had started a thread about the boat and included pictures at that time, but maybe not. Benny was looking for info about the boat and I don't think had Internet access at the time. We talked about Allen Brown also at the time.

If you both get to planning your summer time activities, try to see if you can come up to Lake Cumberland KY in May. See AOTH 5 on the calendar here or in the Events area for dates. It would be a pleasure to have the first Donzi Classic 16 in attendance. I'm hoping and working on plans to have a boating mag. do a story on our gathering this year again. Sure would be a great photo opp. to show the beginning on up to the present.

There is a great contingent of Donzi owners that usually attend from the GA area that you could hook up with if you liked.

Take care and welcome to the Registry if I haven't welcomed you in the past.
    Scott Boldt

I belive this is number one. Brownie gave me this photo when I visited him in Fl a couple of years ago and he told me that this is the first Donzi 16. This boat is identical with my boat and I belive my boat is about number 2 or number 3.

Thomas
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here are some photos of my boat, it is from a test report in a Swedish magazine in 1965. This boat also run the Swedish race "Getingloppet" in 1965. The boat is under restoration.

Thomas

great pics Tomron, what engine is in your boat I notice it only has one exhaust port would it be the original in line volvo???, would love to see some pics if you have them
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

great pics Tomron, what engine is in your boat I notice it only has one exhaust port would it be the original in line volvo???, would love to see some pics if you have them
    Yes Matty, it is the original Volvo 4 in line. The boat is under restoration and taken totaly apart, I will regelcoat the whole boat and restore it to the original 1964, I will do some small changes just to make the boat as it was at "Getingloppet" in 1965 with a tuned engine and speedmaster. I will send photos when I proceed the work, hopefully this year........

Thomas

Some information about the 16 in 1964 and 1965

Thomas

very cool !!!!
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Excited

Great pics Tom. In the 3rd Pic the boat is on plane befor the guy is past the dock!!! Kind like when I bought my first 18C
    Always in the Market....

I have a 65 SkiSporter with number 16-141.... The boat originally was an eaton with 4cylinder. Where might this boat fit in the scheme of things? Incidently it is on the registry under Tom Harrison

I have a 65 SkiSporter with number 16-141.... The boat originally was an eaton with 4cylinder. Where might this boat fit in the scheme of things? Incidently it is on the registry under Tom Harrison

Raritan, You’re boat is a 1965, built and delivered in July 1965 according to my notes.

Hull number 16-55 is ordered March 24, 1965 and delivered April 21, 1965. This boat is white with a blue stripe and midnight blue trim, tinted windshield. Ford Interceptor 165 HP, Engine # GT90L5244626 (this is a Ford 260, same as Mustang 1964 ½ ) Eaton drive # 33093CA16L47.
    Sold to: Ohio Valley Yacht Sales, Louisville, Kentucky
    Delivered to: Picked up by dealer at Donzi plant in Miami Beach (this boat went to KY)
    First Owner: Frank B. Thompson, Jr. Louisville, KY

Hull number 16-136 is ordered July 6, 1965 and delivered July 21, 1965. Order # 199.
    This boat is white with a red stripe and red trim, tinted windshield. Ford Interceptor 165 HP, Engine # GT90L526036 (this is a Ford 260, same as Mustang 1964 ½ ) Eaton drive # 34008CA16L47.
    Delivered to: Raymond’s Marine. Jeffersonville, Indiana.
    First Owner: S. Paul Jones. Louisville, KY
    Second Owner: Me

Hull number 16-145 is ordered July 6, 1965 and delivered July 21, 1965. Order # 198.
    This boat is white with a green stripe and green trim, tinted windshield. Ford Interceptor 165 HP, Engine # GT90L526031 (this is a Ford 260, same as Mustang 1964 ½ ) Eaton drive # 33998CA16L47.
    Delivered to: Raymond’s Marine. Jeffersonville, Indiana.
    First Owner: ??? Louisville, KY

Best regards
    Thomas

Thread Information