Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: First Donzi ever built?

First Donzi ever built?

All,

I called a fairly local gentleman last week named Benny and he shared some very interesting history on his particular Donzi 16, which may be hull number 1. I am going to get more details, but in his discussions with Alan Brown, it sounds like this may be it or close to it. Perhaps some of you can look at the pix and give some more details. This boat apparently was built around 1965, but again, I will get more details. I just wanted to share some pix that he sent, since I found them so interesting. He had a lot to say about the boat's history- I will try to put it in writing at some point. I am also going to try to get him to bring the boat down for the possible Gulf Coast Rendesvous in the Spring.

Cheers, B
    Attached Images Attached Images

There is also an extremely early 16' in Sweden being restored by Thomas Roonberg I believe. First of the VOLVO equipped boats I believe.

The eaton out drive like the B model showed is one of the first out drives which dates about 1960. At that time 125HP ob was one of the largest motors that could be installed untill the Ford 289 intercepter eaton drive. The 289 was still a little strong for the Eaton.Volvos were mostly 4 'S. Not including a standard inboard.

It looks like this one........with updates

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36261

FWIW ,

That blue is the same as my original colour and I have the Identical steering wheel. Mine was sold to me as a '66 but after a complete dismantling no numbers anywhere to be found.

Cliff ... I enjoyed those pictures .... In that transom shot .. is that cutout (round hole with small hole above) the Eaton Drive cutout ?

Steve
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

I showed the first Donzi in the Jacksonville, Fl. show in Nov. '64. White, blue stripe, 4 cyl. Volvo, sandcast 200 drive (first one ever in this country). Average redneck comment: "What the hayellll is that?
    BROWNIE

With the exception of the color that boat is identical to my 16, including the Rocket trailer. The only other difference is the power lift button on the dash. I didn't know that particular Eaton Drive was available with power lift. The designed method of trailering was to spin the outdrive 180 degrees with he prop toward the sky. I usually would lift the drive by hand and insert a board to hold up the drive for trailering.

Morgan's Cloud: yes, that is the Eaton transom cutout.

Richard McCoy: I found that the weak link in the Eaton Drive was the shear pin. I built a pretty healthy 302 for mine (about 270 HP) and the drive held up fine. I was constantly making my own shear pins from all different materials to find one that would hold up. If I used the stock pin with the 302 I built, it would usually snap with only one wide open blast. My boat originally had the 260 SBF with a Carter 2 bbl.
    "1978" F-22; Turbo'd & Intercooled.

Brownie, just how old are you ?

JH
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Quote Originally Posted by ALLAN BROWN
    I showed the first Donzi in the Jacksonville, Fl. show in Nov. '64. White, blue stripe, 4 cyl. Volvo, sandcast 200 drive (first one ever in this country). Average redneck comment: "What the hayellll is that?

And what model would that have been ? ?

I'm kinda guessing that by the "what the hayelll is that" question, it was'nt a fish boat... i.e. St Tropez ...
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

I spoke with Benny, who owns the blue and white boat, today. That boat came from the J'ville boat show in 64 or 65, I believe. The family who owned the Broadwater Resort down the road here bought two- a red and the blue one. Benny bought the blue one from them in the 60's. It had the same shear pin problem as the post above!

Allan, Benny seems to think that this is the only '65 model. Any info on this boat?

Cheers, B

Someone tell the owner to get rid of the stickers on the side and put the "DONZI" logo back on.
    That boat is probably worth something I would think.(Probably not as much as that yellow 50-some thousand dollar one on that showroom floor shot.)
    Cool...

So is this THE first one??
    U.S.C.G. Master Captain
    "Pioneer of insane speed concepts & creations"

no but I bet it's an early one, has a hull number search been done on this boat?????
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Steve.....yup, it was an Eaton boat.

Apollo, how do you fiqure that it's the only '65?

well not to muddy the waters here, but what the hell I got nothing better to do Has I recouperate at home, but shouldn't the first one be a 64????? hence the 2004 40th editions???

Magical Bill,
    I aggree with you on all the other stickers, but reviewing pics of the early 16's they didn't have the donzi decal on them just the flags and the script

and if they only produced 1 a year in 65 they were real busy in 66 and 67 cause my 67 is hull 410 ????

when did they start putting 289 interceptors in them??? mine left the factory with a 289 interceptor and eaton in mid 67
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Thread Information