Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fino boat history?

Fino boat history?

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...34&slim=quick&

With the rain turning our ocean running speedboats here on the California Coast into freshwater boats it's an even playfield to trade up or down at the moment. I've been trying to gather info on these Fino boats that show up occationally for sale and they seem to be well built crafts. I posted a link to one here and was hoping for some history and feedback from You Fellow forum readers on these crafts.
    Thanks in advance and a "Viking Skål" to "Another Glorious Year In Memory Of Don Aronow", may his legacy and boats not be forgotten!
    LARS THE SWEDE

Lars,

--------I believe that this Fino came out of Minnesota one or two owners ago. It is the only one I have seen with 440s. If the 440s have six-pack carburetor set-ups it is definetly the same boat. Never saw the boat in person, but it appeared nice. These boats have a tremendous amount of equipment on them and as a rule the first owners were rich and spoiled and didnt take care of them. It depends how far down hill they have gotten weather they are good boats or not by this time. I looked at one in Ft.Lauderdale a year ago and all the wood was badly compromised. Belonged to a well known Captain and had been band-aided together enough to try and fool some one. My appraiser spotted dead termites and soft wood in the stringers right away. If you think of a restoration on a similarly compromised DONZI 18 difficult, you cant even imagine doing one of these boats over. Just buy a new one. I think they are better built today anyway.
    -------Hope this helps............Bill S

Thanks Bill

I new I could rely on You guys for some good advice. Bill I guess the same Fino You had checked out is still for sale on boattrader for $30K. I eagerly await some more history about these boats and on top of it I got a call from a long lost buddie that saw my post, isn't that what this forum is all about! Thanks again.
    LARS THE SWEDE

-------One of the Florida guys will correct me if Im wrong but I think the Finos were the brainchild of Bobby Rautbord. He had a sister named "Sugar". Didnt his dad (Apeco) buy Magnum from Don A? I think thats where the Finos were all built back in the day. Bobby wanted an American "Riva" that could be used in big water if necessary, and went all out to get it.
    -------Maybe if Brownie is back in town and spots this he can tell us how far off I am.............Bill S

--------Oh yah, all but two of the Finos were propshaft driven. The other two had outdrives!

Fino

I've ownwd a Fino for 11 years and I'm in the middle of restoring it.I have various article regarding the boatYes ,Bobby Rautbord aand a guy name Stratton was involved ,along with the designer Jim Wynne.

I have the original book on how to build a FINO that came with the boat.

The equipment in my bought was purchased by Magnum,these being the Walther v- drives.

There's nothing like this boat when you come into port,forget the fountains,skaters and the like.
    This is strictly comfort and style and yes this boat was dubbed as the "America's answer to the Riva" and it started out at $35500 in 1970
    Quote Originally Posted by olredalert
    -------One of the Florida guys will correct me if Im wrong but I think the Finos were the brainchild of Bobby Rautbord. He had a sister named "Sugar". Didnt his dad (Apeco) buy Magnum from Don A? I think thats where the Finos were all built back in the day. Bobby wanted an American "Riva" that could be used in big water if necessary, and went all out to get it.
    -------Maybe if Brownie is back in town and spots this he can tell us how far off I am.............Bill S

--------Oh yah, all but two of the Finos were propshaft driven. The other two had outdrives!

Fino

I had a 1973 Fino which was in the NYC boat show in early 73' .T-427 ,325 hp mercs ,Ac ,Gen , Twin v-drive ,(Walter). 50 mph tops.I was told a total of 30 boats were built between mid 1970 and 1973 and that mine was one of the last.Workmanship was perfect for the times and the boat was built like a tank .Finos were only available in white (mine) Red or powder blue . These boats were super expensive, Mine was $29,650.00 in 73' ! I did see one with twin stern drives,staggered 454s,with TRS drives,This one had a different transom (FLAT) setup,but it took away from the classic looks of the boat. Parts for the boat were all custom made and I was always afraid the windsheild would get broken or cracked. You were right about the boats origins and that they were produced at the magnum plant,with offices and some assembly in Dania . I still see the boat here on the Chesapeke,I owned the boat 1980 -84. Currently I own a 1975 35' Cigarette Awesome and a 1972 Bertram 28,I guess I'M stuck in the 70's

Fino

Tom,did you sell your boat to Lenny ,the tile and marble guy who lives around Severna Park area?
    Quote Originally Posted by tom rockstroh
    I had a 1973 Fino which was in the NYC boat show in early 73' .T-427 ,325 hp mercs ,Ac ,Gen , Twin v-drive ,(Walter). 50 mph tops.I was told a total of 30 boats were built between mid 1970 and 1973 and that mine was one of the last.Workmanship was perfect for the times and the boat was built like a tank .Finos were only available in white (mine) Red or powder blue . These boats were super expensive, Mine was $29,650.00 in 73' ! I did see one with twin stern drives,staggered 454s,with TRS drives,This one had a different transom (FLAT) setup,but it took away from the classic looks of the boat. Parts for the boat were all custom made and I was always afraid the windsheild would get broken or cracked. You were right about the boats origins and that they were produced at the magnum plant,with offices and some assembly in Dania . I still see the boat here on the Chesapeke,I owned the boat 1980 -84. Currently I own a 1975 35' Cigarette Awesome and a 1972 Bertram 28,I guess I'M stuck in the 70's

Tom,

--------Is that 28 Bertram a Baron? If so, is it white and did you buy it out of Detroit back a couple of years ago? You appear to be into oddballl boats like me. I wanted that white boat but just couldnt pull it off and I remember it went to the east coast somewhere.

Lakesidevu,

--------I think my wife and I might have taken a ride in your boat about a year or two ago when you were contemplating selling. Is it maroon and usually docked just a bit up the Clinton river from Lake St,Clair? Always wanted to get back to you and thank you for the try-out. I still love the idea of a Fino but the idea of a full blown resto kind of scared me. Your boat was very fairly priced, however. If it was you, thanks again!.............Bill S

--------P.S.....That boat in Fla. was actually air-conditioned when new, so I guess you could get just about any option you wanted back then.........Bill S

73 Fino

I purchased the boat from a guy in Annapolis in August 1980 , He bought it from the original owner (A motion picture company in DC) a year before . I did some repairs and ran the boat until 83'. The owners of a local Bar in Annapolis saw the boat and had to have it, Needless to say I sold them the boat at a pretty good profit.A month later tragedy struck when they were involved in an accident at night when they ran over a 19 foot runabout with 4 people on it.The driver of the Fino was found not to be at fault and the driver of the 19 footer was drunk without running lights.I was involved in the investigation because of my knowledge of the boat and that they had not re-registered the boat before the night of the accident.The boat was not damaged. The news papers printed my name as the driver of the Fino,Later I got a retraction but you know what page that went on. After that I lost track of the boat until a few years ago when I saw it running one day on the Magothy River(Severna Park area).I was 19 years old when I bought it and I always swore that one day if it became available again I would buy It back.It was called QUESTAR when I owned it.I will post photos.

Great info!

I was hoping somebody had some hands on experience with the Fino boats. I'm glad You had some good times Tom and hope that You get a chance to buy Your old boat back. I have rethought my next boatpurchase from a 18'-22' Donzi/20' Cigarette to something larger. A Fino was a consideration and I was also looking at 27' Magnums and a remote idea of a Monte Carlo 27'-32' or a Riva Ferrari. I like the lines, exclusivety and craftsmanship of the Fino but had nobody that could confirm if I was on the right track. Thanks Tom and I look forward to the posting of Your pictures!
    LARS THE SWEDE

Tom,I know the current owner,and yes it's the same boat becaude I remember telling ne that someone was killed in a boating accident,and this boat was involved.he got a great deal on the boat seeing the family didn't want anything to remind them of the accident,which took place 12 or so years ago,once I saw that boat I needed to have one,then I found mine that Fall,and I went back to talk to the owner and the boat waas stored for the winter,I had to wait until the next spring and bought it.

And Yes Bill S,this is the boat from the Clinton river that you took a ride on.
    '
    There's still the robin's egg blue hull floating around detroit which is probally shot seeing it's been out in the weather for years.

Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by tom rockstroh
    I purchased the boat from a guy in Annapolis in August 1980 , He bought it from the original owner (A motion picture company in DC) a year before . I did some repairs and ran the boat until 83'. The owners of a local Bar in Annapolis saw the boat and had to have it, Needless to say I sold them the boat at a pretty good profit.A month later tragedy struck when they were involved in an accident at night when they ran over a 19 foot runabout with 4 people on it.The driver of the Fino was found not to be at fault and the driver of the 19 footer was drunk without running lights.I was involved in the investigation because of my knowledge of the boat and that they had not re-registered the boat before the night of the accident.The boat was not damaged. The news papers printed my name as the driver of the Fino,Later I got a retraction but you know what page that went on. After that I lost track of the boat until a few years ago when I saw it running one day on the Magothy River(Severna Park area).I was 19 years old when I bought it and I always swore that one day if it became available again I would buy It back.It was called QUESTAR when I owned it.I will post photos.

Lars, If you like, we could build you a boat. We aren't building our old 29' anymore, but we have been working on a 27' version of our 24' Adriatic. www.kazulinboats.com

Quote Originally Posted by lars

I was hoping somebody had some hands on experience with the Fino boats. I'm glad You had some good times Tom and hope that You get a chance to buy Your old boat back. I have rethought my next boatpurchase from a 18'-22' Donzi/20' Cigarette to something larger. A Fino was a consideration and I was also looking at 27' Magnums and a remote idea of a Monte Carlo 27'-32' or a Riva Ferrari. I like the lines, exclusivety and craftsmanship of the Fino but had nobody that could confirm if I was on the right track. Thanks Tom and I look forward to the posting of Your pictures!

Thanks for the offer from You Guys at Kazulin. Allways liked Your product, little sportier than say a Boesch,but I'm set on something older in glass with most likely some heritage from Thunderboat Row.
    PS. Good luck with the new 27', hope You can fit a Riva Aquarama style sunlounge on her! D.S.
    LARS THE SWEDE

Fino information

Bill, it's been a while since this thread was updated. Lets see if we can update this.
    I would like to see if anyone has something to add.

Did you go out in your Fino this week end?
    Bert

----Hey Bert,,,We did get out again as we are chasing a slight wobble in one of the propshafts. Now Im having a new propshaft made as the current one in question seems to have been bent and straightened too many times. Bill Smith, owner of Henry Smith and Sons, says that prop shafts have a memory, and once they have been twisted and restraightened they tend to go backwards once power is put to them. Just got my new canvas installed Saturday and havent seen it yet, but its supposed to look great. Going out shortly to take a look. We are really closing in on things and the boat may be home by this weekend.......Bill S

Thread Information