Thread: 1989 22 Classic for Sale

Question 1989 22 Classic for Sale

Hello all,

I am new to the Registry. Been browsing around for the last few months and I'm impressed with the way you all watch out for each other like family. Awesome!

I found this 22 classic the other day on ebay, and I was wondering if anybody in Michigan (Lake Hubbard area) has ever seen this boat or knows anything about it:

"1989 Donzi Classic 22', with tandum Eagle Trailer, 460 Ford/340 hp Big Block with OMC outdrive and the legendary Donzi exhaust Sound. 390 hours. People come to see you start it at the ramp. This boat is in excellent shape, no cracks or hull repairs, it has been garaged or on a boat lift and well taken care of. The interior is white with grey carpet, no tears or cuts, the gages are in working order. The boat is stock and factory fast. It has only been in fresh Mi. water. I am moving and the only reason it is for sale. This is great chance to pick up a great boat at a reasonable price "

I emailed him to see if the boat was still for sale and if he had pictures of the interior, bilges, etc. His reply:

"The Boat is still for sale, I have a lot of people offering me $ 10,000 for it but it is going into storage next weekend because I am moving, if you want a real nice Donzi, well cared for, interior is white with no tears and in excellent condition, Bilge is very clean as is engine, boat is stock and if you want a Donzi you cant get a better deal than, $12,000.00 bottom line price for the time of year. Come see it, you dont like it I would be very surprised. I am not there to take any additional pictures but could meet you there. I am 60 the Boat has been a toy. The Boat is on Hubbard lake in Michigan, but only available until next weekend. Let me know."

What do you guys think? I've attached the pictures.

Thanks, John
    1988 Minx / Testarossa edition
    1965/6 Ski Sporter 351W/Eaton (doesn't run)

Any chance of gettinga picture of the dash or engine? Anyone know about what it costst to have a boat shipped... say from Michigan to texas?

I did not see listed on Ebay ... do you have a contact number for him?

1989 22 Classic for Sale

Just wanted to clarify:

I have had several people contact me wanting to buy the boat from me. I do not have the boat - as it said in my post I had just seen it on ebay and was wondering if anyone knew anything about this particular boat.

The only way I have been able to contact him was through ebay, but he is supposed to be emailing me soon.

Thanks, John

If truly as clean as advertised, sounds like a good price. The later model OMC King Cobra drive with cone clutch is a good drive. However, based on the photos (hard to see for sure), I think this drive is the earlier model non-cone clutch drive. I don't really know anything factual to report on these. I would recommend that you investigate this - maybe question the owner as to which it is and post aother question on the Perfomance section of the board to see if there are issues of concern (MOP, you out there?).

Note that with most in this crowd, clean bilge means sterilized clean enough to eat from it. I would want to see it and the interior in person.
    RedDog

President - West Vestal Donzi Owner's Group
    Knoxville, TN

Hey Cutwater, I just noticed you're also from Knoxville. Beware of any advise coming from certain Florida members this week

If you've never been in a 22 for a ride, I could help
    RedDog

Knoxville, TN

Thanks to MOP and RickR for the info on the O/D.

RedDog,

Decided not to pursue this boat at all. On top of the O/D issues (you were right - earlier model), the guy didn't seem willing to take pictures of the interior or anything. Plus I found out the pics he did have posted were not current and he hasn't used the boat or done any work on it in a while; the trailer hasn't been kept in great shape, etc. No wonder he was only getting low offers.

I'll drop you and RickR messages sometime soon.
    GO VOLS!

Talking

Interresting... I made a BUNCH of calls to Michigan in the past two days had found a shipper that was making a run to Houston in two weeks with another boat and a flat-bed a boat yard to check out the compression and keep the boat for the two weeks until shipping date...... but spoke to the owner last night and he told that the boat would need a "good waxing" since it had been left hanging in the straps all summer. I also looked on Ebay for OMC drives and found practically none.... withthe Merc's there were plenty... and they are still in business. For those of you helping out with bringing me up to speed on Donzi's, (mostly Jeff and Steve) a biiig Texas Thanks you.

As for me and the boy we purchased this little gem in Dallas this afternoon...... we'll be picking up this little gem on Sunday.

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/2/2/74127222.htm

Thumbs up

I know you two are grinning that is super clean looks well cared for, best of luck with it.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Congrats on the 16. That boat is really clean and will treat you better than the 22 in Mich.

Enjoy! - John

As for me I'm not "upset" at all. Just not prepared to pull the trigger on a $15,000 (incl shipping) purchase on a boat that is 1,500 miles away and have it sit in a boat yard for several weeks before it even gets down here. From a "honest" conversation with the guy he wup front that the boat doen not "look" like the pictures. I went to bed on Thursday with the pendulum still swinging toward purchase... but upon getting up and thinking more of the OMC drive figured best to go safe right now.
    1999 33' Scarab - Purple raindrop pattern w/a pair of 415hp 502 MPI Mag

Cone or Non-Cone

How do you tell the difference and what is the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by foie
    How do you tell the difference and what is the difference?
    For a cone clutch model, the top of the drive would have a rounded "hump." The one in the picture is flat on top. The cone clutch models are smoother shifting and more durable according to what I have heard - but then I have only heard this; I have no experience with the non-cone clutch models. Regardless, the price asked on this boat allows a lot for consideration/allowance.

I think the OMC change over in design occurred sometime in either '89 or '90 - possibily in mid-model year? I had a '90 that was a cone clutch.
    RedDog

Knoxville, TN

Thread Information