Thread: Just returned

Just returned

We just got back from spending a week in the Abacos. The boat I had access to was um.. well it dissappeared. So, I had to rent one... Anyway, It was a Rambo 27 which had a Honda 225 4 stroke.. MAN, I was impressed with that engine.. Conversations, thinking, and breathing were easily accomplished. Anyone got a set of these Honda's or the Yamaha 4 stroke? Looking for experiences on either.
    Me is seriously thinking of clamping one on my new (for me) F23. Will the boat be able to handle the extra weight?The yamaha 200 is just to loud for me.. Guess I'm sucessfully spoiled now.
    No fishing news from the trip other than lots of blue suited stick beaked fish being caught.
    It was also great to see some old friends in the islands. Haven't been there in 12 years.. Funny, they all looked the same !!!!!
    Happy Father's Day...
    Ricky...seeya...

Thumbs up

I guess you could say that our very own Tom "Tomahawk" Riggle has a little experience with Honda outboards!

Maybe you might try fielding a question for him either here, PM, or by email.

Hey Ricky,
    just saw this post, but I guess it is a little old after our emails. Blue suited stick bills huh??? Not too shabby.

BTW, what kind of speed are you getting with the yammy 200?
    "Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

SEADOGs TampaBay
    SEADOG Outlaws- George is our king, all hail King George!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fish boy
    Hey Ricky,
    just saw this post, but I guess it is a little old after our emails. Blue suited stick bills huh??? Not too shabby.

BTW, what kind of speed are you getting with the yammy 200?
    Just a guess for now, but @ 4200 I am thinking 30 mph. I could be way off though. I put my GPS in the boat for the July 4th fiasco on the water. Hopefully we can wait until Monday to play in the boat???
    I had a second GPS bracket that I used in my Unimog for watching my speed (not that it matters it was painfully slow). Since selling the 'mog, I had this sitting around, guess it was just meant to be...
    I'd like to think a 225 4 stroke will/should cruise in the mid 30's with a major savings in fuel and only a whisper of noise. Just one problem... I gotta rob a bank, or something

Ricky...seeya...

RIcky, I think you will be surprised with the 225. I would be willing to bet you will be in the low to mid 50's. I have been hovering between 45-50 with my 200. Once I get the setback bracket on I expect to be above 50. What prop are you using? Is your tank full (100 gallons in the center to bow of the boat is a killer)? Where is your prop in relation to the pad? Do you have a lot of prop slip or blowout? What is your compression?

I had a friend who had a 23 with a yamaha 225 that I beleive was high 50's on speedo (before gps). even if slower, it still is in my crawl and I want similar speeds. This may be a pipe dream, but gotta have goals.

BTW, I talked to a guy at Shell Island yesterday with twin suzuki 4 stroke 200's on his boat. He had 2 stroke mercs before. Said the rpm range and power are the same or better than the mercs, and when I asked him if they were quiet, he turned the key. I could not tell they were running with the exception of water coming out of the tell tale tube- no smoke, no shake, no noise. Definitely added a new wrinkle to my future considerations.
    "Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

SEADOGs TampaBay

[QUOTE=Fish boy] What prop are you using? Is your tank full (100 gallons in the center to bow of the boat is a killer)? Where is your prop in relation to the pad? Do you have a lot of prop slip or blowout? What is your compression?

BTW, I talked to a guy at Shell Island yesterday with twin suzuki 4 stroke 200's on his boat. .[QUOTE]

The tank is full, so that may be one thing.. Second the engine is bolted in the middle set of holes on the transom. It looks like there's plenty of room to raise it (engine) to the next/last set of holes. The prop is a sst regular old style, not sure of anything, but is stamped "19-M" . I haven't checked compression, but feel it is probably in the marginal state of health.
    How much will a Mirage, or a similar prop, do for me?

As far a Suzuki outboards, they seem very reasonably priced compared to a Mercury or Yamaha. But, resale on a Suzuki isn't that great from what the locals are whining about. I really don't intend to sell this boat for a while, so a good running 4 stroke, reasonabbly priced, regardless of brand, is what I will probably get..
    Thanks, Ricky...seeya...

Ricky,
    just sent a reply to your PM but got a message that said invalid user?

I will try again tomorrow.

Fish

SEADOGs TampaBay

Thanks.. I'm valid... I think...

You can reply here too.
    Thanks, Ricky...seeya...

Hey Ricky - I have quite a bit of experience with the Honda 225 4-stroke outboards. They are great outboards. Quite honestly though, the Yamaha and Suzuki 4-stroke 225s are also very good. In my opinion, the 4-stroke is the way to for thr reasons you mentioned. Your top speed might not be the same as with a late model 2-stroke but pretty close. The 4-stroke will also weigh more. That's not not usually a problem but it could be depending upon the design of the boat. All the 225 4-strokes weigh a bit over 600 lbs, regardless of what their brochures say. A narrow boat and/or a stern bracket will aggrevate any weight issue there might be. If there is a low stern condition, relocating weight within the boat will normally take care of that. A Stainless Marine stern bracket with built in flotation can also correct a stern heavy boat. Then again, with most boats, it's not an issue.
    As far as which brand, a lot depends on the local dealer in your area. Expert rigging is essential to any outboard setup and the dealer is the key part of that. Suzuki is good if you are not concerned about resale value or dealer support when you leave town. Yamaha is a good bet if you are not worried about ever adjusting valve clearances - then that would be a problem.
    I have run the Hondas on every type of boat there is. Currently have a 22' ProLine walkaround cuddy with the Honda 225 tied to my dock. Runs about 45 to 46 mph. Propping is very impotant on these due to, well, several factors. Gearcase design being one of those.
    In my mind, the Hondas have a lot of advantages but the others are also very good and will give you the benefits of clean, quiet and fuel efficient 4-stroke power. Have you ever owned a Honda product or know of someone who has? What was their experience?
    Feel free to contact me if you would like to endure a more detailed dissertation. Good luck.
    Tom

Thread Information