Thread: Grouper? I don't even know her!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Grouper? I don't even know her!

Went grouper fishing this weekend, and since bottom fishing is something I know more than a few members enjoy, I thought I would start a thread for everyone to pass on some tricks, secrets, etc.

I'll go ahead and get the ball roling since i just learned a couple of tidbits this weekend form a guy who grouper fishes for a living.

1) When you catch a small grouper and throw it back, watch the direction it takes off in. Not sure how it knows, but it will swim towards the hole/ledge/structure it came from. Never know, might find out that the real hotspot about 20 feet out and dropping the line straight down might miss the mother load.

2) when the water is really cloudy, use big smelly dead sardines instead of live pinfish. I was surprised since I always thought live bait is better than dead. According to the guy I fished with, the pinfish are great when the bottom fish can see, but when visibility is real bad, the smellier baits will work better than the flashier baits.

Feel free to pick on these and post your own experiences, I was a little skeptical too. I guess I am sort of old school when it comes to bottom fishing, but both tricks seemed to work well for this weekend so I thought I would share them.

fish
    "Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

SEADOGs TampaBay
    SEADOG Outlaws- George is our king, all hail King George!!!

We do alot of grouper fishing of the carolina coast. Our best fishing this time of year is in 90-110 ft of water. I have two electramates set up for grouper. I use 28 ounces of lead and a 16 foot fluoracarbon leader (150lb), 6/0 cirlcle hook, and no matter night or day, clear or merky water I use a luminescant stick six inches from the hook. We use fileted slabs of king mackeral or live vermillion.

horse shoe ledge
    114'
    live vermillion

I'd give some tips, but since I've killed more fish than redtide, I've decided not to unleash all this knowledge upon the masses. Could you imagine the carnage to the fish stocks???

c'mon cuda, give up the info... especially if it has to do with some hot gps spots LOL

Springs, nice fish and good info. Never thought of the glow sitcks except when sword fishing. I just recently started using circle hooks and cannot figure out what I did without them. The thing I like the most about them is that I have yet to hook a fish anywhere but in the top lip using a circle. Not sure how exactly they work, but I relly like not getting gut hooks on fish I am going to release, or having to use pliers to get out a deep hook.

Fish
    "Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

SEADOGs TampaBay
    SEADOG Outlaws- George is our king, all hail King George!!!

Thread Information