Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: wanted- 1987-1989 donzi center console

Brian there's one on Shore Drive in VA Beach I noticed the other day. Not sure of year, I didn't stop, but I will early next week and let you know.
    Digger
    1996 33ZX "FREEDOM II"

matt@unitedyacht.com

Hi guys!

I actually measured the deadrise on mine and it is 22 degrees. I am sure that there are some pretty specific details for coming up with a precise number, but it can be roughly measured using a couple of quick and dirty techniques:

First, use a protractor! I have seen surveyors use these. Just put a fairly long straight edge (a 2x4 that is 5 feet long is perfect.) Place it at the bottom point of the V at the transom. Make sure that this 2X4 is level with the hull. You can measure the vertical distance on each side of the 2x4 and the hull and be pretty darn accurate that it is straight. Then, use the protractor to measure the angle between the bottom of the V and the 2x4. You should be able to tell the difference between 20, 22, and 24 degrees for sure. (As a reference, a flat bottom has a 0 degree deadrise. The deeper the V, the higher the degrees.)

Second, use a little trigonometry! Using the same straight edge technique as above, take the measured vertical and horizontal distances and then take the inverse sin of that angle.
    (eg: sin (angle) = opposite/hypotenuse) Yikes, that hurts!

To help out, I broke out the calculator and came up with a few numbers. See the attached photo and make the simple measurements.

Step 1:
    Place the 2X4 level with regards to the width of the boat.
    Step 2:
    Measure “X”. (I arbitrarily picked 2 feet from the center of the V.)
    Step 3:
    Measure “Y”
    Step 4:
    Estimate deadrise:
    0 degree deadrise Y= 0 inches
    20 degree deadrise Y= ~8.2 inches
    22 degree deadrise Y= ~9 inches
    24 degree deadrise Y= ~9.8 inches.

Attached is a sketch. Let me know how it goes!
    Amarok

PS I would love to talk about my FC 23. Only a few more weeks before spring!!

I had drawn up a diagram just like that a while back, but I couldn't find it on my computer.

Thanks!

thanks Digger. Let me know if you can find out about that boat. I am desperately searching for one.

Fishboy you never gave me your thoughts on the red one for sale on line you e-mailed to me. What do you think it is worth?

Brian,
    without looking at it in person it is hard to say. Most that I have seen for sale are in the 10-15k range, but most do not appear as clean as this one. Again, need to think about possible 2-3k rebuild if the engine is on its last leg. also have to factor what a survey (which I highly recommend) would show. finally, when it comes to a boat with a limited number produced, you do not have a lot of shopping options if this is the boat you really want. Might not find one this clean again any time soon. also have to weigh resale, since paying over avarage selling price will likely put you in the hole if you try to sell.

Have to weigh the pure resale numbers (which are significantly lower on average for f-23) against how badly you want the boat and likliehood you will find another any time soon. Does not appear to me to be a great deal, but I already have one... who knows what I would be saying if I were trying to find one.

Good luck, and if there is anything else I can do to help, please let me know.

Fish
    "Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

SEADOGs TampaBay
    SEADOG Outlaws- George is our king, all hail King George!!!

one more thing..

Here is the nada for the 23' It already includes the OB motor in the valuation, but they factored a 200, I beleive the one in the boat trader was a 275. This is bare bones (no options checked). Also states that an extremely clean one may be worth significantly higher. Finallly calculated for fla zip code, might come out more or less where you live.

1987 donzi 23 fish

1988 Donzi 23 fish

1989 donzi 23 fish

PS I did not realize that the boat was a 1989 until after I posted the 1987 link. a little strange that the 1989 (after purchase by OMC) is worth significantly less than the pre OMC Donzi's- food for thought.
    "Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

SEADOGs TampaBay

Brian,

------Noticed you have an El Pescador. Can you tell us about it? I have one as well and am always trying to track down others,as there are so few around.............Bill S,,,,,DONZI detective

Fish Boy can you give me your number so I can chat with you about these boats.
    Oldredalert. Give me your number and I will give you a call.

brian, you have mail.

Fish

SEADOGs TampaBay

why is the 89' cheaper than earlier models????

Great question Goate!

I wonder if NADA made a mistake and thought that the 89 was the newer (proline type) hull design with higher freeboard. See picture below of a 1990 23ft.

The blue book and NADA services are not perfect. In fact, one of the services grouped my FC 23 in the same catagory as the Regazza 23. Meanwhile they are completely different boats! The Regazza's were pitched as the "affordable Donzi" back in the 80's and were designed and made differently. (I used to sell them)

Anyway, Fish is right, there are not many around, and if someone really wants one, it could be worth a few extra pennies. There aren't many fishing boats that will perform like these. I have had many "seasoned boaters" on mine and they could not believe the ride. These boats dance at high speeds and are built tough. In fact, there is a supporting bulkhead every 2 feet down the length of the hull. (I can take off the rod holders and see them.) And, the hull is 1/2 inch thick of solid fiberglass. These boats are solid!

The one drawback on this design is the low freeboard and minimal bow flare. It is the compromise that you have to make for such good looks! I have dunked the bow several times in rough seas. Nothing dangerous, just something that needs to be in the back of your mind when it gets rough.

Amarok.

Amarok,
    did you get a new boat (thumbnail)?

fish

SEADOGs TampaBay

Oops, sorry if my post was misleading!

Nope, I'm keeping my FC 23, forever!

I found the other one on boattraderonline and just wanted to show the difference in the hull design.

Talk to ya!

Amarok.

Goatee,
    Do not have the answer as to why there is a difference in the years according to NADA. However, I did mention this today to someone who used to be associated with Donzi during that time.

He replied that Donzi was sold to OMC on Oct 31, 1988. Prior to OMC, these boats were laid up by hand. After, OMC used a chopper gun to lay the glass. Not trying to step on toes or start a war on hand lay up vs. chopper, but perhaps this may have something to do with the difference- at least as far as NADA in concerned.

Fish

SEADOGs TampaBay

ahhh yes! i forgot about the transfer of ownership.

Thread Information