Thread: Fishing Tip- Flats (From Fishboy)

Fishing Tip- Flats (From Fishboy)

Here is a tip that a few local guys have been keeping a secret (guess I am letting the cat out of th bag so to speak).

When fishing flats for reds, trout, snook, we use something colloquilly called a "chum chucker". Get a sturdy rod (mop handle will do, but the bottom half of a sturdy rod is better) about 4 ft long. Take a 1 litre plastic bottle and cut the bottom off of it so you now have a rather long funnel. Attach the spout end to the tip of the rod. Best to use a bunch of tape on the rod tip first to make a flush fit with the spout end.

After netting several hundred white bait, go to where the fish are. after casting your baits, use a dip net to get 5-6 live white baits. WHile still in the net, lightly squeeze the net with the bait in it to stun them. Place the stunned baits in the open end of the bottle. use the chum chucker to fling the stunned baits in the vicinity of where you just cast your hooked bait. This will cause a frenzy around your bait of stunned white bait and make even sluggish fish come to eat.

Thanks for the Tip, Fish
    Capt. D.J. "Jefe" Reid -- RIP Big Grizz..and MOM
    '98 30ZF - Jefe's Revenge, '07 250 E-Tecs
    Founder/Co-Captain (South Region) - Donzi RED Bikini Crew
    "Revenge is a Dish Best Served...Wet"
    www.facebook.com/Team.Jefe

Jefe

Thanks for the tip. I am sure anyone who has fished for any amount of time has a broken rod sitting around their house somewhere. One thing we have used in the past while live baiting for sails is a scoop from an ice machine. It just kind of happened one day. It wasn't even something we thought of. When my buddy got ice that morning from the machine at the hotel he accidentily put the scoop in the cooler when he got finished. It worked out perfect and it is a lot easier to launch a greenie that way.

Don't forget to drill a hole in the handle and install a wrist strap. When your hands are wet and you try to launch one pretty far the scoop is probably going to go farther than the bait. (I wonder how I know that)

J Mitchell

Don't forget to drill a hole in the handle and install a wrist strap. When your hands are wet and you try to launch one pretty far the scoop is probably going to go farther than the bait. (I wonder how I know that)
    ...it is always helpful if you put the beer down before you start chucking bait LOL
    "Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

SEADOGs TampaBay
    SEADOG Outlaws- George is our king, all hail King George!!!

Thread Information