Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Donzi Marine 63-65

F Jr, BBdonzi, et al.
    loevd reading King Of Thunder Row. Its in a case not signed yet maybe one day? I bought it when i was taking finals in high school and did so poorley on them that my mother took the book away from me for a short time. But SEARACE is signed by john crouse, also a great book.
    stay well
    Christian

The Civic Heraldry for the Coastal City of Dunkerque, France.

Brownie,
    You said the Peanut was based on a Glastron hull, was this a G-3 Hull?

[This message has been edited by Formula Jr (edited 07-16-2001).]

..... from Edward Kiersh's "Smoke on the the water" article:

"David has his 313, a 32-foot split-console
    recreational boat, "a variation of my dad's
    27-footer, strong enough to pound through the
    torturous seas," he says, while Michael is
    finalizing plans to market a 24-footer, its
    drawing-board name The Legend, and
    featuring an engraved signature from his father.

"No one has a little Cigarette, but I plan to build
    a real runner, a boat my father designed yet
    never built," insists Michael Aronow, echoing
    the passion that drives builders to breathe
    noxious laminate fumes and to risk their lives
    testing boats offshore. "Now that this beauty's
    time has arrived, I'm going to make the most
    luxurious, safest, easiest handling boat in the
    world."

Inquiring Minds want to know........

At Ft. Apache there is (or was) some 24' "ARONOW" boats being marketed by Michael Aronow. They are very similar to the 24 Cigarette Firefox. These were about a 22 (or less) degree vee bottom.

The person told me this design was from Don, but he never built them.

Never underestimate the power of persistance...

Cool

Wow! Whadda thread!
    Hey Kent...Michael told me, if memory serves me correctly, that his brother is the one who was building the Aronow boats.
    And hey, here's another thing that has been causing me quite a considerable problem with some people...what is the deadrise on a Cigarette? I was told by the CEO of Comanche (former owner of Apache) that he made both the 22 and the 24 degree when he was working for the King, uh...I mean Don.

[This message has been edited by GeneD (edited 07-17-2001).]
    GeneD
    Formerly of Melbourne, Florida
    Permanent Resident of St. Petersburg, Florida
    1966 Classic 18-2+3

Jimisaid Guest

Gene D:

From what I understand, Michael's brother has no involvement at all in the boat business. He gave it a brief try a few years back, but was never really that into it. Based on things I've heard, Michael's the one with the designs and it's VERY possible that something may come up them in the near future. I can't be sure, but that's what I've heard. Wouldn't that be a treat!

Gene,

The cigarette firefox has about a 22 degree deadrise. I believe only one has left the mold since 1987. (at a list price of 145K each I can understand why) A friend of mine had it built to race in Factory I last year.

There have been other versions of the 24 Cigarette that could have been 24 degree, but I can't say for sure.

Kent
    Never underestimate the power of persistance...

Yes, I had a 1981 24 foot Cigarette. It had a flat deck, windsheild and cable. It was 24 degree.

Looked like a 28 but a little shorter.

I had a good friend with a Firefox. Both were powered with 420 HP, 454's. I could run and hide from the Firefox. Faster and ran MUCH better in the chop. Boat was a Tank.

Really miss it too !!!
    "Support our Troops"

Dave
    Always a Gearhead

The Outboard tunnel hull, Don brought home and then made a Magnum version there of, can you name the Italian designer.. Just after the Magnum boat there was a flurry of copies, DUO and Carlson. All based on this Paris six hour race boat. I believe these were the first production tunnels ever available in the US..... They were very cool...and very fast......Nothing could touch them with the new 125 mercs.

Was it Renalto Molinari?

Thats correct. The "Magnum Missile" was a derivation from a design by the King of Outboard Tunnel Hulls, Renalto Molinari.

What I find facinating is the fact that Wynne, was not a well known "Boat Designer" before Don Hired him to do the 233. he had a degree in Mechanics, not naval design. There must have been something Wynne and Walters had that convinced Don they could provide winner design. I mean, prior to the 233, Wynne had never designed ANY hulls......... ?

Hey Kent...what ever happened to your ride on the Pantera?
    I had an interesting conversation with someone from Team Pantera last weekend. I'm standing there in my team uniform, watching the parade lap, when all of a sudden the entire field turns around in the inside wall of the breakwater. Unlike the previous day where they did an entire lap of the course before the drop of the green flag. I was confused. I turned to this guy and asked,
    "What the hey are they doing?"
    He turned to me and said,
    "They're having a boat race!" As if I didn't know!
    It turned out to be the joke of the weekend.
    As far as the 24 degree deadrise thing. I have an ongoing battle with a certain driver who is connected with Cigarette Racing Team over the deadrise of ALL Cigarettes. He says they are not 24 degree, won't tell me what it is, and that I should go get some brouchures.
    Personally, I don't think he knows.
    GeneD
    Formerly of Melbourne, Florida
    Permanent Resident of St. Petersburg, Florida
    1966 Classic 18-2+3

Didn't Jim Wynne design for Chris Craft in the late 60's. I had a couple Lancers that were supposedly designed by him. Is the XK19 hull a clone of the Hornet.
    Strobe

Yes, Wynne designed the Lancer and Super Sport (a larger Lancer), but that that was in '64. We're talking about the Early Formula Days around '62. Prior to the 233, Wynne was the head of R&D at Lake X, but no hull design to my knoweldge.

Thread Information