Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Donzi Marine 63-65

So the time line on the donzi models goes?
    1. 16 Sport/Ski '64
    2. Hornet and Tropez '64
    3. The 28 '64
    4. The 2+3 (18) '65

I know this is out of the time frame you have mentioned but what sequence did these
    models come to be.

Baby 14 and F14 '67?
    Corsican
    X-18

Are there some experimental hulls we've never heard of that never made it into production, or very limited production? I ask this cause as a kid there was a Donzi Twin Vee drive Cuddy on my river that looked like a smaller 28. My 35 year old recollection was it was about 24 feet.

[This message has been edited by Formula Jr (edited 07-06-2001).]

Formula Jr., you've got the time line correct on the 16', 19', 28' and 18. These were the molds that were sold to Teleflex in late 65. During the 63-65 years, the Magnum 35 was designed. It was originally intended to become the Donzi 35 but the molds were not completed before the Teleflex sale and thus, were not included.
    While I remember Don tinkering with experimentals of various sizes in a couple of the warehouses he leased in West North Miami Beach, I do not remember any 24 footer. The baby 14s could have been Don's designs but he never produced any for the public while he owned Donzi.
    After 65, I have no direct knowledge as to what designs and/or production models the subsequent owners came up with.

Did Wynne ever relay the story to you of how he followed a freighter from Sweden to New York in a 22 foot outboard?

Formula Jr., Jim never told me that story.

GOOD ANSWER ON THE NAME. WYNNE/WALTERS EXISTED BEFORE AND AFTER DONZI. WYNNE/ARONOW FELL OUT IN '65. WHEN WYNNE WON THE VIAREGGIO-BASTIA RACE IN '65, HE TOOK OFF HIS RACING JACKET AND SHOWED AN 009 SHIRT, AS AN OBVIOUS SWIPE AT ARONOW'S 007 AND 008. 64 TO 67, WE ONLY USED GEOGRAPHICAL FLAGS AND THE DONZI FLAG, WHICH LOOKED SUSPICIOUSLY LIKE A MERCEDES EMBLEM. THEY SUED OUR ASS, AND WHEN THE CHISHOLMS BOUGHT THE COMPANY, THEY DREAMED UP THE LION/DOLPHIN THING. THE 35' MOLDS WERE FINISHED (HULL ONLY) DURING THE TELEFLEX SALE PERIOD. TELEFLEX GAVE IT TO DON IN RETURN FOR HIS USING DONZI ON HIS RACEBOATS, AND HE STARTED MAGNUM (WHICH I NAMED AFTER A GAS PUMP IN AN OLD HUMPHREY BOGART MOVIE). WE FINSHED AND SOLD A FEW 14' DONZI PEANUTS, MOSTLY WITH VOLVO ENGINES. IT WAS A LETHAL LITTLE S.O.B. B.B. DONZI, MIKE, IS THAT YOU?

BROWNIE
    BROWNIE

Cool

Originally posted by ALLAN BROWN:
    GOOD ANSWER ON THE NAME. WYNNE/WALTERS EXISTED BEFORE AND AFTER DONZI. WYNNE/ARONOW FELL OUT IN '65. WHEN WYNNE WON THE VIAREGGIO-BASTIA RACE IN '65, HE TOOK OFF HIS RACING JACKET AND SHOWED AN 009 SHIRT, AS AN OBVIOUS SWIPE AT ARONOW'S 007 AND 008. 64 TO 67, WE ONLY USED GEOGRAPHICAL FLAGS AND THE DONZI FLAG, WHICH LOOKED SUSPICIOUSLY LIKE A MERCEDES EMBLEM. THEY SUED OUR ASS, AND WHEN THE CHISHOLMS BOUGHT THE COMPANY, THEY DREAMED UP THE LION/DOLPHIN THING. THE 35' MOLDS WERE FINISHED (HULL ONLY) DURING THE TELEFLEX SALE PERIOD. TELEFLEX GAVE IT TO DON IN RETURN FOR HIS USING DONZI ON HIS RACEBOATS, AND HE STARTED MAGNUM (WHICH I NAMED AFTER A GAS PUMP IN AN OLD HUMPHREY BOGART MOVIE). WE FINSHED AND SOLD A FEW 14' DONZI PEANUTS, MOSTLY WITH VOLVO ENGINES. IT WAS A LETHAL LITTLE S.O.B. B.B. DONZI, MIKE, IS THAT YOU?

BROWNIE
    Brownie, please turn off your caps.
    '88 Z-21, big block, bravo

Lonzis,
    BROWNIE CAN TYPE HIS POSTS ANY DAMN WAY HE WANTS!
    We are Honored to have him here.

Smile

Originally posted by Formula Jr:
    Lonzis,
    BROWNIE CAN TYPE HIS POSTS ANY DAMN WAY HE WANTS!
    We are Honored to have him here.

i agree!

------------------
    '88 Z-21, bigblock, bravo
    '88 Z-21, big block, bravo

Everyone who won the Miami-Nassau AND the Around Long Island races are allowed to speak in capital letters.

BROWNIE
    BROWNIE

Wink

Brownie, in case my statement was misinterpreted,
    you can use caps all you like!!

[This message has been edited by harbormaster (edited 07-10-2001).]

Here, Here !!!!!

You may use ANY TYPE FACE you want.

Don't listen to people that want you to conform. Do your own thing, you know you're going to do it anyway.

Glad to see you here.

Thank you very much................
    "Support our Troops"

Dave
    Always a Gearhead

Harbormaster...
    Threads like this one should be saved, maybe in the archives/history department.

Member: Red Boat Club
    1996 22' Classic
    Volvo 7.4GSi/DPX (E-4 props)
    bone stock 72.8 gps mph

The Formula 27. Why did Don drop that designer and go with Wynne/Walters?

[This message has been edited by Formula Jr (edited 07-12-2001).]

No knock aqainst Peter Guerke as he was one of the best but Don wanted results and he wanted results quickly. He wanted designs capable of obtaining optimum speed in the roughest conditions. Don played the game learning by observation and through trial and error. The more he watched and the more he competed, it became clear to him that the only naval architects with the abililty to design a V that could outrun Raymond Hunt's Bertrams and Sonny Levi's outstanding and unique Italian designs were the Americans, Jim Wynne and Walt Walters who, in Don's opinion were the two most knowledgeable marine engineers in the business. Peter Gurkes's 27' was a beautiful boat, but in truth did not have the racing lines Don sought.( Sure enough, she was purchased by Marlin Boatworks in North Carolina and became a top notch sport-fisherman) Wynnne and Walters were hired and Wynne and Walters delivered.

Thanks, I was wondering about that.
    There's a great book called "King of Thunderboat Row", I'm sure you are familial with it, that needs a second edition, that is; if that Mike Aronow guy ever gets around to it. But I hear he's also going to be making some new boats of his own soon, so he might not have the time. Do you know anything about when these boats might reach production?

P.S. My signed copy has its own case: The only book case I've ever bought.

[This message has been edited by Formula Jr (edited 07-13-2001).]

Thread Information