Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stainless Rub Rail

Smile Stainless Rub Rail

I am planning on ordering new stainless rub rail for my 18' Donzi. My question is, there is not a corner piece on my boat and I am wondering what tool I need to make the 90 degree bend on both rear corners since it appears that there is no seam or break in the rub rail there?

Scott Boldt
    Scott Boldt

Scot, I have never tried to bend the railing. However , I saw Ship Shape Boat's show on installing a railing. They cut a piece of plywood the shape of the curve; Screwed the cut plywood down on to a larger piece of wood. Then screwed off one end of the railing and used a clamp to pull in the other end of the rail to the shaped plywood. Finish screwing off the railing. When the railing is removed it holds most of the curve. Don't forget to put silicone on the screws to help keep them from vibrating out. GEOO
    " Sometimes the object of the journey is not the end, but the journey itself "

I saw that one with John Greviskis about a month ago. He also got into how to butt the ends together for a clean seam I believe. If your really interested in it, it is show #5002 for 10 bucks or so on the
    SHIPESHAPETV.COM site.

Craig
    Looped was born November 1966 18-103

Thumbs up

Thank-you gentlemen. I'll go to the Shipshape website and order that show on tape. I'm not sure, but I believe Taco has a installation video also. I thought maybe someone had worked with this type of rub rail and had a insiders view on how to shape the rub rail.

Scott
    Scott Boldt

Boldts,
    I know that a Boiler maker would be able to bend them to form the hull perfect. They have some pretty cool tolls of the trade.

(NJ)Scott

Scott Pearson
    President, Lake George Donzi Classic Club
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

Been there done that. Its a real bear. Copy curves of the bow and stern complete corners and all start with the bow piece in the center, then the complete stern. When sone just fill in the middle. Its much easier to shorten a streigh piece then a prebent corner. There is less chance of a bad seam in the middle of the stern like they did to my Criterion. Oh yea make the corners slightly tighter, just a little bit.
    Randy owner of Donzis since 1966
    High Performance props 3, 4, and 5 blade. Turbo and Stainless Steel props. Props for old Volvo drives.
    The reason congressmen try so hard to get re-elected is that they would hate to have to make a living under the laws they've passed.

The only problem that Boldts may have with a seam on the center of the stern is he has a Barrel Back. I will be running into that same "arch" situation once I get to that point of the restoration.

Craig
    Looped was born November 1966 18-103

The original rub railing was made of aluminum which is easy to work into any shape using a soft headed mallet. Stainless steel rub-railing would be much nicer but would be very difficult to make that arch bend on a barrel back.

------------------
    Forrest

After thinking awile, I would use an aluminum rail. The aluminum cups under the deck seam and makes caulking invisable and helps keep water out.

[This message has been edited by BigGrizzly (edited 12-27-2000).]
    High Performance props 3, 4, and 5 blade. Turbo and Stainless Steel props. Props for old Volvo drives.
    The reason congressmen try so hard to get re-elected is that they would hate to have to make a living under the laws they've passed.

Smile

Thanks again for the suggestions. Some of you have commented on the arch of a barrel back. My 69 has a straight line where the rub rail runs across the stern. The fiberglass on the deck forms the rounded look from the back. What would I look under to find a boiler maker? Sorry, but the only thing I know about boiler makers is that it is a name for the Purdue University. I guess I need to pull a section of my rub rail off and see what is underneath it. I didn't know there was any sealer under it. Fasteddie sent me a e-mail to give him a call about the rub rail. Been busy with family this week, but I want to call him before the end of the week.

Scott Boldt
    Scott Boldt

Bolts just saw a bender for flat stock in the Enco cat.

Boldts,
    Dont know where you would look for a Boiler Maker but their out there. Alum. you can bend yourself. Stainless you will need someone like a Boiler Maker.

(NJ)Scott

Scott Pearson
    President, Lake George Donzi Classic Club
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

Cool

Scott,
    Talk to Chris (CMDA)
    He bent the original style aluminum 'J' rail on his boat and it came out great.

------------------
    Rich
    Rich P.

I have a 18 2+3 barrelback and I replaced my rubrail with aluminum. The barrelback was so simple. I sat there for half an hour trying to figure out the best way. Finally I just started in the center and worked out alternating sides. Was easy and came out great.

Chris

The actual hard part which just takes time is getting the butts really tight.

Len Guest

Question

What about employing the hydralic mandrels of a local muffler shop and their dies with a template? Yes, no?...

Thread Information