Thread: OMC donzi 18

Post OMC donzi 18

I received another email asking the following:
    "I have located a 1990 Donzi Sweet 16 with an OMC 4.3 engine and outdrive setup. I have heard that the OMC is to be avoided. Any truth to that? Aside from that, the boat is beautiful, white with yellow stripe, with an aluminum trailer. $8,800."

From what I know the major problem with this setup is the availability of parts. Anyone else want to put in their 2 cents?

Scot V

wbateman Guest

Scott,
    I have a 90 Sweet 16 and so far the only parts that you can't get are the Spitfire ign stuff. Mine started dropping cyl and had to replace the whole setup with a dist. Works great now. No problems with the drive so far. If it does die I understand I can hang a Volvo drive on the same gimbal.

Like Bill says the ignition is the only problem. Today no one makes a bad outdrive, just bad repairs. When you get into big power that the drive was not designed for than troble starts. I would not hesitate buying one.
    Randy owner of Donzis since 1966
    High Performance props 3, 4, and 5 blade. Turbo and Stainless Steel props. Props for old Volvo drives.
    The reason congressmen try so hard to get re-elected is that they would hate to have to make a living under the laws they've passed.

Smile

I'll throw in .02 cents worth.
    I don't think that it was so much the drive system that folks shy away from as it was the feeling that the quality Donzi was known for was not the same during the OMC years. A large stamp em out company verses the hand laid fiberglass days of old. I'm sure that if I owned a Donzi of the OMC era, I would enjoy it just as much as I enjoy my 69 model. Best analogy I came come up with would be a custom 1923 T roadster (metal body) vs a 1923 T roadster remade in fiberglass. They both are beautiful street rods!

Scott Boldt
    Scott Boldt

Thread Information