Thread: 1968 DONZI?

Question 1968 DONZI?

I have recently acquired and restored to running condition a boat which may or may not be a Donzi. I have not found any ID on the boat itself and the only record was in the old registration which said a 1968 CHAMP. I think it may be a copy of a Donzi. The previous owner told me he got the boat without an engine cover but replaced it with one from a Donzi. It looks like a big hump on the back of the boat. The closest style I've seen is a Sweet 16 but mine has more of a barrel type back. Also, there is a stripe running up the middle of the boat which is not flush but raised up about 1/2 inch. The boat is 17 feet long and about 8 feet at its widest point. I am trying to find out if it was made by Donzi and if not, by whom.

Let me know where it is. The only real way is to see it by pictures or actually looking at it. I live in Stony Brook and go to school in Glen cove. I can tell if it is legit or not.

Chris

Its in Centereach. You can email me at mailto:dukeproko@aol.com and I'll give you directions. Thanks

THE CHAMP WAS BUILT FROM A PLUG FOR THE VEGA SPORT BOAT, WHICH WAS AN EARLY EFFORT OF HARRY SCHOELL. THEY LET IT SIT WITH NO DECK FOR SO LONG, THAT IT GOT A FOOT WIDER. THEY BUILT ABOUT 50 OR 60 OF THEM IN MIAMI. I KNEW THE GUYS WELL. WE USED TO RACE AGAINST THEM.
    BROWNIE

Thanks for the info on the Champ. I also read the reply on the deck that doesn't fit the hull. Does this "stretching" affect the strength of the hull?

NAH.
    BROWNIE

Thread Information