Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Stainless Steel Props for Older Volvo Drives

Post Stainless Steel Props for Older Volvo Drives

I will be testing some Solas Stainless Steel props for older Volvo drives such as 250,270,290. Solas wants some feed back on the props and to see if there is going to be a demand for them in the USA. The prices when marketed will be similar to the ones already sold by Solas. What I need from you guys is to see if there will be a demand for them from sport boat owners. Right Volvo owners have Four options 1) Michican wheel aluminum($160) 2)Bronson Hill (mine was over $600) 3) finding an old Volvo Ultra prop(price undetermined but scarce) or 4)Some used unknown version of something.

The current prop in my possession looks similar to the ultra prop and is 15 1/2" in diameter. The Volvo gearcase thrives on a big diameter prop (my Hill is over 15 inches). I will keep you guys posted. Please give me some responses on this thread not by E-mail. I am not selling them. I am just testing for possible sale by Solas- in the near future. This is a good opertunity to voice your needs of a Volvo prop, this includes you lurkers jump in and give your 2 cents.,

<small>[ March 20, 2003, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: Harbormaster ]</small>
    Randy owner of Donzis since 1966
    High Performance props 3, 4, and 5 blade. Turbo and Stainless Steel props. Props for old Volvo drives.
    The reason congressmen try so hard to get re-elected is that they would hate to have to make a living under the laws they've passed.

Yes, I have some interest.289/302in a 16 Skisporter, volvo 250. Just about out of prop with around 200 hp.(48-50mph@5K rpm) Planning some hp upgrades 285-300hp and the old Michigan wheel is tweeked as far as it can go. Please keep us informed.

Thumbs up

Absolutely!!!

My 69 Corsican will definately need atleast one, and another there after. I plan on keeping this boat original except for a larger more powerful engine, (next year)and even that will be built to "look" original . . .

Mario L.

Thumbs up

Yes, I am interested also - 350 Corvette SBC w/280 drive (not sure yet how to tell LH from RH??), but I want to optimize! Keep me in the loop! Thanks!
    Keith

My '67 16'/AQ200 with a fresh 302/300hp works well (for top end!) with a 14 x 24 ss Ultra, while my standard 14 x 21 aluminum gives me great low and mid range power.
    But, I am always curious about what might work better, especially at a reasonable price.

<small>[ March 18, 2003, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: Tony ]</small>

Member: Red Boat Club
    1996 22' Classic
    Volvo 7.4GSi/DPX (E-4 props)
    bone stock 72.8 gps mph

I am interested also, I have twin SBC's and 290 drives on my Magnum. If anything happened to the two sets of props I have now, I would have to install a mast and sail.

Bob
    Big Boat Bob

i just bought my 16 with a 345hp 350 and 270 drive. i know i'll need props. i was just wondering what the hell i was going to do about it.

this may be the ticket
    You can never have too much horse power, but you can use too much horse power.

My 68 18 2+3 is almost ready to go back in the water, I know I'm gonna want at least one decent performance prop for it. Its LH and has a 351W of undetermined horsepower&gt;

I'm really happy with the honest responses. I feel that some have changed drives just because of the prop situstion. I know that there is a large market for these durable but forgotten drives. Keep them comming guys.

<small>[ March 19, 2003, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: BigGrizzly ]</small>
    Randy owner of Donzis since 1966
    High Performance props 3, 4, and 5 blade. Turbo and Stainless Steel props. Props for old Volvo drives.
    The reason congressmen try so hard to get re-elected is that they would hate to have to make a living under the laws they've passed.

Count me in, 350 / 280 LH how much and where?
    After the speed of sound...

Grizz, what pitches will Solos be offering? I would be interested in a RH/LH pair of 25" or 26" pitch three-blade or 23" to 25" four-blade.

Talking

I would certainly be interested also. Keep us informed.
    Bill G

Thumbs up

As the new owner of a '66 18 2+3 with a 200B drive I am very interested in any info on LH props.

Frank,
    Still 26" of ice on my lake. Grrrr...
    Triple Hatch.
    It's a classic Donzi, not a Donzi Classic.

Love to get a hold of a good prop for 21GT with SBC and 280 drive. Interestingly, the drive I have is badged a 280 and I scavenged it out of an old Glastron. I had previously had another 270 on it(the Donzi) and I had some good 14x23 aluminiums left from this, long hub. They would not fit the 280. I had to get a short hub, of which all I could get at short notice was a 14x19 which was garbage for this application. I spoke with some high performance prop shop in Miami at the time who said that all the 280's took long hub props. This led me to believe the drive had a new shift cover plate with a 280 on it or a different prop shaft installed at some point in it's life.
    In any event, the boat went back into storage in Maine last fall and I headed back to Australia where I am now. Nonetheless, I still need a new short hub prop, and would love 15x23 similar to use on the boat if I get back there this summer.

yes Grizz,
    I'd be interested in props for a 16 with a 250
    and a 20 cig with a 270

Matt
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us