Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ebay 18 V drive

For me the biggest drawback of v-drives is the draft limitations coupled with fragility of the rudder if you touch bottom. We had a 19' St. Tropez with a v-drive back in the late 60's and while exploring the back country in the keys, at a slow speed, bumped the rudder on the bottom and snapped it off. We got back 6 hours later by steering with an oar. Only maintenance issue I can remember was to keep an eye on the stuffing box for leaks.

Agreed FlatRacer!! I can personally attest to the skill it takes - JimG has shown it to me many times upon our return to the docks in his Trojan. As I fight urges to grab the dock, Jim always tells me to back off - he then puts her where she needs to go!! Sure, it takes a few more shifts and the occaisional go 'round, but it CAN be done. There are books written on how to handle one, and the true captains out there can show you how - it is something that also comes with many hours in the boat - I know JimG does about 200 hours every year. Watching the local shrimpers do the same thing with the big boats is really awesome to watch! My hat's off to those single screw boys, gimme my twins! Too bad the vees eat up sooo much speed!!

Flatracer, it just takes practice. I can turn my 26 flybridge boat within it's own length... but ONLY IN ONE DIRECTION, he he!!

I think draft is roughly the same as the outdrive boats. The advantage of the outdrive boats is, of course, tilt! But my inboard boats have been bulletproof. You want that stuffing box to drip a little to keep the packing lubed, just not too much.

Not to mention, that shiny bronze prop on a gleaming stainless shaft is just plain sexy!
    1970 18 2+3 Hull #18-355 H/M 351W Volvo 250
    07 Cayman IT IS BACK! - '13 Abarth Cabrio

PRESERVE, DON'T RESTORE

Thanks Krakmeup!

Ten bazillion tournament ski boaters (and now wakeboarders) can't be wrong!

Watching the shrimpers is a hoot! Take a five foot tall Vietnamese shrimper and a fifty foot wood hull single screw shrimpboat coming into the channel at 8 knots WITH THE CURRENT! The captain spins the wheel to starboard. Shifts to reverse. Vroom! A huge cloud of diesel smoke comes out of the stack, the boat just STOPS! Spins the wheel all the way to the stops to port. Vroom! More smoke and the dang boat just walks sideways to the dock. It's a beautiful thing to watch.

PRESERVE, DON'T RESTORE

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I grew up driving Chris-Craft inboards, and always found them easy to dock. My Dad was awesome, he could bring the old boats into the dock every time, smooth as silk no matter what the wind or waves,and not hit a thing. Not easy, especially with the gear shift on the floor, and the throttle lever located on the center of the steering wheel!

On the subject on V-Drive Donzi's, there was one on a lake near us when I was a kid that ran a Hilborn injected 468 BBC. "Mellow Yellow" was supposed to run over 100 mph, but that was just a rumour.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I grew up driving Chris-Craft inboards, and always found them easy to dock. My Dad was awesome, he could bring the old boats into the dock every time, smooth as silk no matter what the wind or waves,and not hit a thing. Not easy, especially with the gear shift on the floor, and the throttle lever located on the center of the steering wheel!

On the subject on V-Drive Donzi's, there was one on a lake near us when I was a kid that ran a Hilborn injected 468 BBC. "Mellow Yellow" was supposed to run over 100 mph, but that was just a rumour.

I got some pics of her during my travels:

V drive 18

V drive 18

V drive 18

V drive 18

V drive 1

The guys phone number is 410 819 0687

He has a price of $11,500 on the for sale sign.

Greg Maier
    1995 Donzi 22 Blackhawk

Saaweeet!!!! JimG, you NEED this one!

The seller says it's a '73, yet it has the barrel back and hard v-bottom. I thought they changed that earlier. Am I wrong?

Yup you are right. She is a 67 or 68. NOT a 73

It's pretty! But, it's not for me... I like 'em original. Now, if there were a HM mill hiding under that hatch, and the original helm, that'd be another story!

JimG

PRESERVE, DON'T RESTORE

I have had several inboards and love them. You do need tabs added. With an inboard, you have to learn to drive the boat, not just point and click as with an I/O. There is just something sweet about coming in on the port side, bow first and then walking the stern sideways to dock. I get a RUSH just thinking about it! biggrin.
    Hotboat

Smile

No cut intended Hotboat, but doesn't everyone with a sterndrive also do that? Turn that drive towards the dock and hit reverse. It's sweet when you get it right.
    Scott Boldt

Yeah, but the boat backs up and pulls the bow away from the dock. The inboard just moves sideways.
    Hotboat

Mellow Yellow

Hey Riley, sorry to bring up such an old post but I saw your comment about Mellow Yellow. I grew up with that boat, it was our best friends boat. We actually bought their house in sail bay. That’s how we meet. Paul Sr bought the boat from someone who raced it in Michigan. It needed 110 octane minimum (super high compression) and ran on 24 volts. It was actually clocked at 114.7mph wayyyy back in the day (who knows how accurate it was). The motor was super unreliable. It had to be rebuilt every year. So he had the compression dropped so they could run around 100 octane mix and added the classic Hilborn injection stacks that made that boat famous. While on Diamond Lake it “only” ran in the 90’s. This is Based on a newer checkmate in the late 90’s that they advertised 86mph and we walk away from him. It was fun smoking all those 300hp bass boats too! Some of my best memories are in that boat. I ended up buying a 67’ v-drive myself! If you got any stories I would love to hear them! I got plenty!!! LOL

Thread Information