PDA

View Full Version : GPS Speedo & Transom Angle.

GEOO
01-02-2003, 06:28 AM
Who know's the correct transom angle of an 18. I measured the transom angle on my X-18 to be 12 1/2 degree's. Does this seam right??

Does anyone run a gps speedo? Would the antenna work mounted under the foward deck?
I was going to go with a Gaffrig analog unit, any input?? I think the digital unit look too modern.

Thanks

Bad-Tat
01-02-2003, 06:45 AM
I have the Gaffrig Analog speedo and it works great! Push the button to find out max speed for that run. Don't know about the antenna under the deck. I put mine behind the windshield on top of the dash. That antenna has a very long lead so you could try it out under the deck and if that doesn't work you would still have plenty of wire left to stick it on top.

CDMA
01-02-2003, 07:03 AM
Awesome, does this mean I no longer have to hold that GPS between my legs at 106???? I have more important things to hold on to :D :D :D :D

Chris

Still short a backing plate....

roadtrip se
01-02-2003, 09:53 AM
Geeo,

I got the GPS antenna that is about the size of a large silver dollar. This is an update from the computer mouse looking thingy that gaffrig started with.

I mounted it under the dash on top of the lip of the ski well. Works great. I did test with velcro until I found a spot that gave accurate readings every time.

Todd

Woodsy
01-02-2003, 10:05 AM
Geoo...

GPS to work correctly needs to have line of sight to the satellite constellation. You could mount the antenna under the deck, but it will degrade the GPS signal somewhat and possibly give some erroneous data. The more satellites you can pick up, the more accurate the system. Do what Roadtrip did, place the antenna on various places on the deck and see how it reads. What you are looking for is the number of satellites the GPS unit sees.

Woodsy Von Donzi
Rocket Scientist at Large

oldLenny
01-02-2003, 10:42 AM
Geoo, I have 12 degrees,...I think you're close

GEOO
01-02-2003, 05:17 PM
Thanks,

Bill,
Glad to hear yours works well. What did you go with, 100mph?

Chris,
I'm doing the dash mounted speedo just for you. Wouldn't want to lose the co-pilot.

Todd, Woodsy,
I've been told the antenna would work under the dash, I'll have to do some velco testing.
I don't want to see the antenna on the deck.

Lenny,
Thanks, I took several measurements and just wanted to double check.

Bad-Tat
01-02-2003, 09:28 PM
Geoo,
Yes went with the 100mph head. Figured I wouldn't go over that. Hard enough to keep the bow somewhere near the horizon at much less than 100! From the looks of things, you'd better go for a 130 one!!!