PDA

View Full Version : SM Exhaust install today

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-01-2003, 06:05 PM
Due to the world falling apart some of my projects cannot wait until Feb/Mar....
Go Navy!
So, HRPA boys to the rescue....
Thanks Big Jon and BillR.

Project #1 was completed this week and we started the Stainless Marine exhaust install (project #2 of 4) today.
A few lessons learned today.
1. It is easy to say you will document a project for the board, doing it is another story.
2. Liquid wrench is a blessing when applied several times, a day in advance.
3. 6 point sockets is a must.
4. I need to better organized my tools (SEARS, here I come).

It really is amazing how someone so anal as I am about flushing can still see the begining of corrosion in the water passages of the stock Merc setup.
Overall the insides looked allot better than I thought they would, if not for the exterior rusting bad I would not have needed to change them out, it sure will be nice to eliminate the rust staining in the bilge from the Merc manifolds.

Another observation was that the stock manifold is just a huge void for exhaust, the tuned stock replacements would be better than what the engine came with.

We ran out of time so we will finish Sunday.

Most interesting discovery of all today was no internal flappers in my stock Corsa tips. :rolleyes:
Bryan

HP 600SC
01-01-2003, 06:30 PM
Bryan, sounds like a fun day!
You can totally make those rust stains go away like magic! Muratic acid on a sponge.....
be sure to use gloves and hold your breath!
You will be amazed!!!!! It wont hurt anything in there except aluminum....but be carefull.
You wont beleive how well it works on the Stainless prop too! Be ready with the hose to rinse it off after a minute or two.

fasttrucker
01-01-2003, 07:29 PM
Glad to hear that soon you will hear a motor that sounds like a bbc should.I asked my mech. if my old manifolds could be sold as used.He said"threw them in the scrap pile".What do you expect your boat to hit, mph wise,when you splash next spring? :p

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-01-2003, 07:35 PM
I got $100 for my old manifolds....
Bryan

smokediver
01-01-2003, 08:03 PM
bryan,ted, try using whink as a rust remover. not as caustic as muriatic acid. it is used as a rust remover in laundry. you can get it at walmart where the detergent / bleach is located. save your eyes and lungs!

HP 600SC
01-01-2003, 08:06 PM
John, yes I have used Whink....it is hydrofloric acid.....it works too but alot of money per ounce and it takes longer.
John, hows it going?? havent heard from you in a while.......

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-01-2003, 08:07 PM
The stains are an easy clean up, I just get tired of them, I keep my engine area spotless, at all times, winter included... LOL...

Like the rust around the drive trim bracket, now redone and rust removed from diamond plate, Merc used steel screws! :mad:

Four 60 cent SS screws would have been the right answer from the get go.... wink
Bryan

TEDD, email me your address again please.

fasttrucker
01-01-2003, 08:55 PM
My boat was a fresh water boat from il. So i thought my manifolds would be worth something they were 3yrs old.Tony said by the time he cleaned them up+sold them,it wouldnt be cost effective.