PDA

View Full Version : Criterions for sale?

Wintersux 1
11-19-2001, 03:51 PM
I was thinking about the normal winter things(new toys) and wondered if there were any criterions to be had. I received the Cumberland video and that is a great seating arrangement. When were these models made?
How many? What power?

BigGrizzly
11-19-2001, 06:19 PM
I own that one. There are 3 styles. Made fron 79->84. Criterion, CriterionII, and the Criterion ss.
The Criterion is the only one of the three that have the walk through. One has the front covered with a removable hatch very rare ant the other is a single bench with a cooler in the middle. Two povers were available. the standard 454/330 hp and the other was a Gale Banks twin turbo charged versions. Heard that the twin turbo had 500 plus hp.
There were no more then 29 of all three models together and that is a over statement. I have been able to locate only 8 of the models. they all came with trs out drives stock. My Criterion has a 502 with a 698 HP supercharged motor in it and it is capable of the 80+ mph with a GPS reading.

Randy

Scott Pearson
11-19-2001, 09:01 PM
Criterion II did not have a removable hatch up front. The deck was filled with a fixed plug. There where only 12 of these made. 454w/ Gale Banks twin turbos TRS.

(NJ)Scott

Ed Donnelly
11-24-2001, 09:46 AM
The Criterion SS had the removable front hatch.Mine came with a 454 370 H.P. I switched it out for a B.B. twin turbo 1,000 H.P. It started to tear the boat apart. Switched that out for a 482 tall block tunnel ram fuel injected with an electromotive processor. Too slow again loking to install a whipple this winter

Greg
11-24-2001, 11:47 AM
In case inquireing minds want to know, according to the Donzi 1984 price sheet the Criterian II (single seat) with the 330 H.P. Merc. sold for $48,648.

CDMA
11-25-2001, 12:40 AM
Coolest donzi's ever made.

Chris

Edward,

Always admired your boat in the registry. Really looks great.

Sagbay32
11-25-2001, 12:55 AM
Were the Criterions just for a certain target market? Was production cut because of the small market? It looks like a specialty boat that would have a smaller following, but man it sure looks sweet. Was it 3 across the back with 1 in front of each split console?
Very cool indeed as long as you had a couple shorties sittin in front. I would buy this boat, my kids would love it.

BigGrizzly
11-25-2001, 10:26 AM
Just so you know Brownie road in the front seat in my boat at Sarasota and he is every bit of 6+ feet tall, it wasn't too bad. The Criterions seem to ride flatter then the rest of the 22 so people tell me. It was target to the high performance look market. I beleive it was a Chisiom idea designed by Walt Walters. In any case whoever had the idea I'm glad, becasuse I own one. It was limited production and the Criterion cost $10,000 more than a normal 22. In 1981 this was a big jump. BTW every one who rides in it thinks it rides better than a clasic. Mine has a 502 with a Procharger and a TRS outdrive that will run in the low 80's. Some say that it would run faster with a Bravo and a imco shortie, but that is not even in the plans for this boat. I'm happy with it just the way it is. One ride will convince you.

Randy

MR MAGOO
11-25-2001, 01:55 PM
I know a guy up here that had a 79 Criterion that he bought new. It had a 454/370 TRS package and it had the removable front cover. I remember it well and wanted to buy it but could not afford it at the time. He sold it back in 1988 and I think it went for 17,000. Back in 1994 RPM boat sales in NJ had a super clean Criterion and has a 400 Cyclone Merc. By the time I had the $$ It had sold. They must be really rare because I have not seen another since. Really cool boats!

Gearhead99
11-25-2001, 04:03 PM
Saw one back in 84-85 with the removable front cover. It was at Silver Glen, Lake George, FL. Dark Blue too.

Had enough gauges for three boats.

Really neat boat.

Do you know how much $48+K was for a 22 foot speed boat back in 84 ??? No wonder you don't see many.

Would really like to find one now, that isn't destroyed, I'm needing a NEAT boat and that would surely fill the void.

Sagbay32
11-25-2001, 06:46 PM
Any places to see more pics of the Criterions ?

BigGrizzly
11-25-2001, 11:24 PM
For more pictures, look at the Donzi web site www.Donzimarine. (http://www.Donzimarine.) and channel Z rhen the owners spotlite. there is a picture in the November issue volume 3 of the Robb Reports Showcase, they did an artical and interviewed me with a picture of my boat. BTW the one with the front hatch (SS), one type was removable and one was hydraulic operated, were the rearest of all the Criterions. Im my literature there were two engine packages offered the 454/330hp TRS and the Gale Banks twin turbo issue hp on that one is widely disputed. These TRS units came with the MERCII trans. The Banks unit would toast the trans in one season if manhandled. The Borg trans came later than the boat. If anyone has a sales publication that shows any different please post it, all my price lists only show what I have said. I'm sure their have been some repowers like mine. I still have the origional engine and paperwork for mine along with all the maintanence rechords.

Randy

Sagbay32
11-26-2001, 11:15 AM
I also looked at the Donzi registry for 22' boats from the late 70's to early 80's and found some other great pics of owners boats. I will have to look up the Robb Report on the other pics. I usually read the mag but I musta missed that one.

Thanks

MR MAGOO
11-26-2001, 06:58 PM
Hey Big Grizzly, I had a 79 24'Superboat with one of those 454 Gale banks/TRS/Merc trans and man, are you right on the money. That boat would eat the trans ON DEMAND :eek: Just nail the throttle hard out of the hole even once and the front pump would shatter! But it hauled butt. :D If you were easy out of the hole. I sold it to someone on this board about 5 yrs. ago. Are you still out there? Kurt.

CDMA
11-26-2001, 07:20 PM
Just out of curiosity how reliable were those Gale banks set ups? And about what kind of power did they make on a 454?

Chris

BigGrizzly
11-26-2001, 11:29 PM
They are ok, nothing special. they were great in their day. Engine compartment heat was high have heard stories of blistering hatches. Parts are hard to get. also besides the trans thoes 454 were weak in the bottom end. The had flat tappets and a cam oiling problem. the question was not will it come apart but when will it. the old Engine was really good to 450 hp if handled carefully. I have heard grand stories of HP. One top notch engin builder said he was thinking of using one on a 502, but changed his mind when he put one on the Dyno, Said he didn't get 500 on the 454 block. He said it was a wast of space. I think they look real cool.

Randy

Formula Jr
11-29-2001, 08:13 PM
Seano found this in the trader, and I thought it needed this thread.

Seano wrote -

Just thought I'd bring this one back to the top...I find this list most helpful!

BTW, Ther looks to be a 1980 Criterion for sale on Boat Trader...here's the link http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/2/0/16692720.htm

End Quote

It sure looks like a Criterion. Check out the air scoop!

BigGrizzly
11-30-2001, 12:22 AM
Looks like one to me, without the windshield. IT also looked like he redid the seats ans put headrests on it. He could be wrong on the length. Criterions were 22 feet only! Noticed the big water scoup on the deck LOL. It does seem to have the same profile of mine without rhe windshield.

Randy

Gearhead99
11-30-2001, 10:07 PM
Ugly water scoop. I'll bet he and his passengers can here the roar of the carb!!
Or the sound of the engine stopping suddenly when it injests [hydralic lock] water.

Formula Jr
12-01-2001, 06:29 AM
I noticed all the damage to the starboard topsides. Looks like they hit something substantial. The boat is probably fried.........worthless.....

CDMA
12-01-2001, 02:24 PM
If anyone wantes to offer me 15 for my 18 I will buy it...
I love those Criterions.

Chris

Formula Jr
12-03-2001, 04:39 AM
Full circle http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000030 http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000182