PDA

View Full Version : Speedrails...anybody try em....

smoothie
01-01-2003, 09:30 AM
Im not ready to drill holes in the bottom of my boat but they look like a interesting concept speedrails (http://www.thunderoffshore.com/roca.html) .

BERTRAM BOY
01-01-2003, 10:24 AM
I had a set of Volvo speed rails on my 18. I took them off, did some GPS speed runs before and after, but didn't notice any difference; although, some people swear by them.
I sure Grizz can add something. I know he uses them.
BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D

Cuda
01-01-2003, 11:15 AM
I was reading about them the other day too, sounded interesting, but is most likely snake oil.

HyperDonzi
01-01-2003, 01:24 PM
There were a few threads about those on OSO, what seemed most common was a few mph increase, less wake, but they were hard to keep on in rough water.

Ed Donnelly
01-01-2003, 01:59 PM
I had the volvo speed rails on my sweet 16.They were installed at the same time as I added the pad and step,extended the length of the planes,widened and extended the cavitation plate on the speedmaster drive.Did it make a difference? How the hell would I know.I never make just one change then check the results. Oh No ,the more the better.Thats why my nickname is dumb ass..Ed

BigGrizzly
01-01-2003, 05:21 PM
I use them Problem is for a small boat 4 are too many and makes the ride harsh except at above 60 mph. I use just the stern ones on my Corsican they make a little more stable and stop the chine walk on my boat. Volvo stopped producing them, but a good friend gave me a usable pair for my Criterion which I will install soon. They are not snake oil handling is better, as for speed only becausw chine walk is gone. Another note is that the 22 ZX as well as many other boats have them built into the strakes. I do think they make a difference.

Rootsy
01-01-2003, 07:30 PM
gotta love simple physics applied to create cool things!

one thing i would worry about on smaller hulls such as classics is the tendancy to hook in a hard turn, etc. but they have definite merit in the straight away realm.

i have a few ideas similar to this concept laid out on paper. not quite as radical as this but they still have to be attached to the hull but you don't have to do any glass work... they are not totally refined quite yet. Testing will probably go off soemtime this summer