PDA

View Full Version : trip to ocean city,md.july4th..big water!

fasttrucker
12-31-2002, 06:45 PM
I posted a trip from the bay to oc,md.under events and gatherings section.I like to get some feedback from donzi owners as to big water. eek! The guy running this trip,open to all boats,said last year they had 10 foot rollers on the way back.The coast guard heli-radioed them asking if they where crazy.I would like to go but unsure if this is safe for my two kids,age 6+11.?My boats a 28 so i would think i would be ok.Someone posted that they would like to go in their 22 and he told them to trailer to oc.These are the big boys that go on this trip,i wonder if i can keep up. :D

Jamesbon
12-31-2002, 07:32 PM
Just be absolutely sure to keep a close eye on the weather. The winds and tides will wreak havoc in that area. I'd study the local charts as well, the sand bars shift like mad on the inside. Keep an eye on that nasty jetty leading to open water.

The inlet at Ocean City hosted the biggest swells I've driven in by far. We're talking 10 footers that you would drop down in and see nothing but water, then pop back up and see all the other boats, beaches and buildings. It was fun but extremely breathtaking at the same time. I did this in my Donzi Gt 21. Once out of the inlet, it settled down.

If you haven't done so already, be sure to visit Secrets eek!

Westminster, huh? I used to live in Damascus.

Formula Jr
12-31-2002, 07:33 PM
I take it your going to run out the south channel from assawoman bay?

"Assawoman" Bay - always loved that name.

Anyway.... People head out in this channel in little 16 foot boats. Most of the time the atlantic is pretty calm here. Watch for your tides try to time on slack or near slack. The only tricky part is running the channel. Nathan is right on the money about the sight lines and the swells. You just have to have a mental picture of where you are when you're in a trough. And get well past the last buoy before turning. Heading south is cool cause its all park land on assitque (sp). North is cool too, you can show off to all the swimmers.

Going out, take it slow or you'll have too much airtime. Coming back, just follow the back of an incoming swell. Once you get out about a mile its really pretty passive. Watch out for thunderstorms, if one is coming in, run like hell to the channel no matter what the tide. And get everything battened down and off the boats - then get indoors cause a maryland squall is'nt something to fool with...

Dr. Dan
12-31-2002, 07:48 PM
:D Bill....Bill...Bill...I appreciate your adventurous spirit, but I would suggest this is not a trip for the little ones or your wife to attend...get some other experience crew members. I have a Beach House in South Bethany, the Ocean City area is very tricky to experienced Natives there....sooooooooooo unless you check it out,really good...and the boats you are following are also familiar to the area...I would be very cautious.. eek! I have charts for that whole area, and if the Tides don't mess with ya the "Super Narrow Channels" will. As well as the 7 knot current that parallels the causeway into O.C. We took our 22 down this past Memorial Day...it never got splashed, with only a 15 mph wind out of the Southwest it got nasty quick, I saw boats much larger than yours coming in,...Assawoman Bay is pretty, but geared for very shallow draft boats,....a Jet Ski Comes to mind! :rolleyes: Good Luck if ya do, ...Doc

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-01-2003, 12:38 AM
Watch the weather and winds, you should be fine if they are reasonable, if not, stay another night..... I certainly hope you guys wear your jackets etc, not preaching...

Read up on markings for SC Warnings and just be aware of your enviroment, we go for short runs in SCA just for fun. No long runs.

Be safe.
and HAPPY NEW YEAR.
Bryan

Formula Jr
01-01-2003, 05:14 AM
Just read your other post in events so now I know what they're doing. 160 miles one way from Balt'more to OC via the C&D and Del Bay. Then back. Cool. This IS a Big Dog, four to five hour run each way. Even in a 28, this wouldn't be a family outing.

fasttrucker
01-01-2003, 12:16 PM
Yes formula,jr.I think your right about leaving the family on the dock.Well i could go and they could take the blazer and meet me in o.c. I used to run out of the west palm bch,boca raton and pompono inlets in fl.But i wouldnt go out over 3-5 ft seas/with my 25ft fishing boat.Bryan what is sca?sc warnings.I listen to noaa radio is it the same thing?Hey Doc u could ride with me...let the women take the car...then we could stay in your beach house. :D

Dr. Dan
01-01-2003, 03:21 PM
:cool: Bill....SCA,SC Warnings are abbreviations for "Small Craft Advisory or Warnings".....Beach House is already booked, but a good ploy!... wink ...Doc

Greg Maier
01-01-2003, 03:40 PM
I've had the C22 down at Ocean City last summer. That inlet is nuts! Made it out one time, had to turn back another. The seas are absolutely monstrous in there. If you don't get swamped by the seas, you still have a good chance of getting run over by a big sportfish making a run for it. Running that inlet was definitely on my top ten list of scarriest things to do in my Donzi. eek! eek! eek! On the other hand, once inside of the seawall, there are plenty of things to do. I really like Seacrets (spelled wrong in a previous post). What a great bar. Get there, hook up to the mooring line, and the little jet boat comes out and gets you. The good thing is that you can sit there and drink and look at your Donzi 100 yards away at the mooring. :D :D :D