PDA

View Full Version : Yes, HOOK one more time,..BROWNIE

oldLenny
10-03-2002, 11:15 PM
Brownie. After aquiring an "old" 16 SKI SPORTER. left hand helm, a '64 or '65, haven't got the felt pen figured out yet, I noted the hull has the inner strake at 54" inches forward of the transom, (common I believe) BUT the hook on the port side (port side steering) is about 5/8" over 48" and the starboard side is about 1/4" over the same distance. Nothing looks tweaked or "wrecked" but there is a definate difference in the two sides. The boat was originally white with a blue stripe. Can you shed any light on this topic?

That different hook thing seems wierd...unless of course it was to assist in coming on plane on the drivers' side and act as a trim tab to compensate for weight and maybe no spotter.

Rootsy
10-04-2002, 07:33 AM
Lenny,

does your vintage thoroughbred have the hook terminating at the outer strake such as mine? or does it continue in further toward the keel?

oldLenny
10-04-2002, 08:56 AM
Stays between the outer stake and the chine. Port side is VERY pronounced and starts dramatically at 17" forward of transom. Other side is half the amount of deflection and far more gradual.

mattyboy
10-04-2002, 10:18 AM
Lenny,
now you got me curious, on my 68 16 the hook is real pronounced as the boot stripe follows it, but I never noticed a difference between the sides

matt

Forrest
10-04-2002, 10:39 AM
. . . and Lenny, as you probably already know, that hooked area between the outer lifting strake and the chine is found on all 16 Ski Sporters. As long as you have no hook between the two outer lifting strakes you'll be fine, since the hooked area is totally out of the water at speed.

oldLenny
10-04-2002, 11:43 AM
Forrest. Yes, I am aware of all this "hook" stuff and its' unimportance at SPEED. Mattyboy, you mean the 2" stripe running along your port and starboard chines, correct?.

The hook thing is no biggy to me but it DEFINATELY is not the same between port and starboard and it is more pronounced on the driver side. At 17" it just begins. It is not curved, but an established angle. My guess for the difference is to kick that side up a bit and compensate for the driver. (PORT) measured again just now. Roughly 1/2" on port over a 4' level and about 1/4" on starboard over 4'.

I don't want to bring this up as a Giant Hook conversation again, just curious as to the difference between sides.

mattyboy
10-04-2002, 09:43 PM
Lenny,
yup that would be the one!

good luck with the boat

Matt

Formula Jr
10-05-2002, 04:33 AM
Len, we talked about this up in BC alittle. Hooks can have a very stablizing effect when your are "tipping" waves with trim tabs. I don't suggest that kind of driving for a 35 year old boat but the design does work to flatten the tip to tip crossings while you are trimmed out with the drive. When you hit the second wave the hook seems to correct the boat at 5 degress, the center of balance, and make it set up again for the next wave tip. I think there is more to this story than just built in "trim tabs" that are out of the water at speed. The hook is definitly NOT out of the water on a launch or riding the tops of a four foot wake train. If I have everything set up right, the boat just bounces higher and at 5 degrees on each of the hits.

Len, of all the wave trains you have ever hit; of what side, starboard or port did you hit them at? Think about it.

Actually, I'm just baiting Brownie (The Master) here so he will feel the need to correct me, and answer your question.

wink

oldLenny
10-05-2002, 10:35 AM
Owen, are your two sides the same or different on the F.J.? I will post a pic of this soon to show "y'awl" the variation between port and starboard...it's coming along " reeel nizzze" :D

Formula Jr
10-05-2002, 08:35 PM
Both sides on mine are equal at 1/8th inch , widest gap at 18 inches in from the transom and is only present on the outer strake and about four inches of either side of the strake. I have no hook on the chine flat
or keel . Total hook being about 48 inches long, and the whole shebang is a perfect curve.

ALLAN BROWN
10-07-2002, 07:41 AM
Those hooks were built onto a straight bottom (on the plug), and were perfect wedges, with no curve except the fairing where they were stuck on. They were contained between the chine and the outer strake. Wynne had a patent on them. Anything else is accidental, and probably trailer inflicted. Jr., how did you measure the 5 degree flight angle? Damn, you're good!