PDA

View Full Version : Free Donzi Z-29

harbormaster
12-30-2002, 05:15 PM
The Registry has had a 1987 Z-29 Donzi Donated to it. It is almost all there.

This boat needs stringer and transom repair.
The upholstery is all there in good condition.

It is in need of 2 engines and outdrives.

This could be an excellent online restoration
project.

It could be dragged to Donzi events as the party boat.

When finished it could also be raffled off.

What do you guys think?

Any suggestions on power?
Twin smallblocks and bravos

Paint scheme?
I was thinking Black sides and stripe

Money is definitely a consideration here.

The glasswork will probably be swapped for lots of sweat equity for a boat company and lots of Donzi gift sales.

If anyone helps out I could glass your signature into a section of the hull, or plaque or something crazy like that.

Am I stupid or what?

Darrell
12-30-2002, 05:30 PM
Sounds like a neat project!

Darrell

Jamesbon
12-30-2002, 06:54 PM
No, not stupid.

"It could be dragged to Donzi events as the party boat."

Hmmm, I think we're on to something here. I'd be glad to donate some time to fix the stringers, repair transom and re-rig the thing. Can anyone donate materials? Let's put one big diesel or nasty BBC and a single drive in. Bravo, Arneson or #3 Speedmaster??? Sorry, but in my opinion, two engines/drives is too damn much. K.I.S.S. !!!

CDMA
12-30-2002, 07:20 PM
I am with Nate. Single.

Harbormaster not sure your time frame but I can do the glasswork for free if I can get to Texas... :) :)

Chris

GeneD
12-31-2002, 07:37 AM
Why not build a freaking race boat?

harbormaster
12-31-2002, 08:08 AM
Nate, Chris a single? Wouldn't that thing be a a major DOG?

Gene, A race boat? That would take too much money.

JimG
12-31-2002, 10:45 AM
Hey Scot! Just tell me where to be! I'll bring beer and tools... :D

riverrat
12-31-2002, 11:29 AM
Scot, re-phrased.. I'll help too..

CDMA
12-31-2002, 12:24 PM
Not if it was a BIG big block. I figure a say 600 hp BBC with a single drive would cost less then twin Small blocks with two drives and probably would be as fast...

Chris

Just my opinion

harbormaster
12-31-2002, 01:00 PM
Hows about dependability?
This is an excellent topic. Lets hear someother opinions. This could help others in the future,

GeneD
12-31-2002, 01:29 PM
Too much money to turn it into a raceboat?
What are you thinking?
Standard BB EFI or carburated engine, standard Bravo gimble, standard Bravo I drive. Tear the cabin and interior apart.
You got a raceboat.
You only have to do 69 MPH to get into P-5 class.
Reliability?
One engine is always more reliable than one. Except when you break down and need to be towed home.
Whadda say you post a pic of this thing. Is it your standard family boat? Or perhaps something very cool?

CaptWK
01-01-2003, 10:03 PM
Scott as you know I own a 87 Z29. I have had the transom and stringers all redone. I have replaced both motors and had the drives redone. I have been through all the wiring and redone the interior. Believe me this was not by choice but I did it anyway. I can tell you about every nut and bolt on these boats so if I can help or donate time I will. They came with 350's on some models but most had Merc 454s with Alpha drives. If you want we can use mine for reference. I also want to sell my boat if you know anybody. It needs to have the gelcoat on the sides redone but the rest is in good shape. Lets restore yours back to original factory specs I think it would be worth more. If you raffle off the boat and donate some of the money to a charity you might be able to get parts for free from some suppliers. Let me know when your ready to start.

harbormaster
01-01-2003, 11:54 PM
ThanksBill.
There are some photos of the boat here.

http://www.donzi.net/hull.cfm?id=1041486289

I will probably end up doing all the glass work myself. Its not that hard. Just time consuming.

The deck liner is braced and ready to be pulled out.

The cockpit upholstery is passable. The helm is all there and has been out of the weather.
What are you going to ask for your z29?

No drive train.

Walt. H.
01-02-2003, 01:03 AM
WOW!! and Holy Cow! eek! Talk about "why you should never leave your KEY'S in the ignition" :( How about using the >Tee-shirt sales for a fund raiser to help save this boat and 50/50 raffles during club events. Then after completion do a series #2 tee-shirt with before and after pictures. It was just an early morning thought don't kill me. Or just redonate it to a trade school that has a program that could use it for practice work,if cost out-weighs practicality. :confused:

Wildfire
01-02-2003, 06:38 AM
Oh my. That would be a "run, don't walk away" project for me.

To me that boat says poker run special - no cabin, bolster seats, big single. I get down to Houston several times a year. When you get started, maybe I could swing by and help you sand for an evening?

tmdog
01-02-2003, 03:41 PM
Scot, After seeing the pictures of the project vessel, WOW! You would surely need a lot of help. I believe the cost and labor would certainly out weigh this restoration project. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Who ever gives the go a head on this project, I would be willing to donate. JIM

Dr. Dan
01-02-2003, 11:49 PM
:rolleyes: WoW...........That looks like some serious work, I will help financially as funds would be available....$$$$ , but my guess is we are talking some "Serious Cosmetic Surgury" here Boss! wink Might have to consult with Joan Rivers or Liz Taylor for this one....better send Chris to negotiate, with Pearson and Cliff as bodyguards....Looks like it could be pretty cool once it was done!.... :D ...Doc