PDA

View Full Version : E-DRIVE HISTORY LESSON

BRIAN73
12-30-2002, 09:38 AM
Greetings; To All

I hope that everyone's holiday was good. I was given a little history lesson on the Volvo Speedmaster E drive. I must share!!!!!!!!!!

It turns out that, Volvo produced the Speed Master or E lower unit in the early 70's. The unit was made for 5 years only. Volvo's intent was to get into the High Perfomance/Race market. They wanted to give CK a run for his money.

I currently have a E Drive mated to a 270 upper. I was told that this combo was incorrect. There was a special upper that was designed just for the radical lower. The 270 and 280 uppers will work fine, but they just won't handdle the amount of ponies the lower unit will.

The unit was designed to be very fast and hydrodynamic. Heavy duty gear's, shaft and a streamline case. The lower unit was rated by Volvo engineer's to with stand (600HP) and 6000 RPM'S. The prop's originally used, had very radical blade designs with a small diameter. The prop's were suppose to act like a screw through the water. This explains the odd looking SS prop I have with blades that almost curl over.

The E lower unit was designed to run without a skeg. HOLY HYDRAULIC STEERING. The outdrives most efficient speed was 75 to 79 MPH. The drive would blow out above 79MPH. Big Block power was most common with the E Drive.

The Volvo Speedmaster E drive, was marketed as a strict race componet. You could however get one on your DONZI. The upgrade price for this rare race option was $1,200. Keep in mind that the price for the boat was only 5 or 6 grand.

Donzi was the only boat company that would put one these drives on a civilian power boat.
As it turn's out Volvo could not grab enough of the market from CK. The drive was phased out in 74 or 75. Part's are no longer available. Manual's and tech info are almost non exsitent.

The best advice is to change the lower unit oil, every year. Don't abuse the hole shot, and try to keep the re entry gentle. A machine shop is the only answer to a broken unit.

Brian Englert

Proud to be a Volvo Owner

eek! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Kirk
01-01-2003, 08:29 PM
Hey Brian,

Happy New Year!!

Is this your new boat or the old boat drive unit that you are speaking about??

Still on track for the 16'

KJ

Tony
01-01-2003, 09:15 PM
Great info, Brian, thanks for sharing. One question, though, would be if the 270/280 is not the correct upper, than what is?

(Poodle, on a related topic...I called the guy whose number you gave me, and I will soon be giving him another call as he suggested. I'll let you know when I find anything out.)

HP 600SC
01-02-2003, 06:24 PM
Hey Brian, good to hear from you!
ActullyCigarette also installed them on the little 20 during the same time period as well.
You ready to part with that X-18? :D :D
Ted